Out Of Office

Show first post

168 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I won't be around much for a little while, joining a sailing expedition that's due to take 3 weeks, run by armed forces veterans charity Turn to Starboard. I'll be crewing on a yacht sailing down from Scotland to Falmouth via the Isle of Man. Looking forward to some exciting times afloat, great scenery and some wildlife no doubt too.

There will be postings on Turn to Starboard's social media, if you want to follow along. You can also see the work they do at www.turntostarboard.co.uk

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hope it goes well, our Ant, and enjoy it to the max! 👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Wow! Sounds great Antski, have a fab time.

That sounds like quite a remarkable adventure @Antski, I hope you have a wonderful time. Thanks for letting us know!:blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That sounds like quite a remarkable adventure @Antski, I hope you have a wonderful time. Thanks for letting us know!:blush:

I think the weather is going to be the biggest factor as far as enjoyment goes. A previous transit down through the Irish Sea at this time of year is in my top 5 roughest times at sea ever!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow that sounds amazing. Have an amazing time 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How do not get sea sickness, Ant, or do you wear motion bands?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well @Bev the ships I have been on have generally been pretty big. Last one was HMS Queen Elizabeth, 65,000 tonnes of not-moving-around-much no matter what the sea conditions.

Seasickness has never been something I've suffered though, even in frigates in a storm. It's great to stand at the back of the bridge and see solid green water breaking on the windows as the bows bury themselves in a giant swell. The worst ships are the ones that roll in a heavy swell.

On one frigate I was on for the Falklands in '82, there was an extra tall compartment quite far forward, a heavy swell was the signal for a bunch of lads trying out their anti gravity skills. Extra points if you could grab a strong point on the ceiling and hold on as the bows rapidly rise again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh wow, I am feeling moby just reading about it 😳🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤣🤣🤣🤣. Interesting stuff, and I can totally imagine that, without motion sickness, it would be lovely watching the sea lashing hard against the ship indeed. 

Interesting re the Fawklands. Similar mock set ups are done by the RAF as you’d know, re G force, and also escaping a jet crashing into the sea. 

I’d keep your gingernuts handy just in case our Ant 🤣👍🙃😉🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I won't be around much for a little while, joining a sailing expedition that's due to take 3 weeks, run by armed forces veterans charity Turn to Starboard. I'll be crewing on a yacht sailing down from Scotland to Falmouth via the Isle of Man. Looking forward to some exciting times afloat, great scenery and some wildlife no doubt too.

There will be postings on Turn to Starboard's social media, if you want to follow along. You can also see the work they do at www.turntostarboard.co.uk

Oooh , sounds fab!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I must just correct part of my previous post after some convos I've had today. T2S is meant for the benefit of armed forces, veterans And emergency services including front line NHS staff I believe. This last bit is fairly new, so if you think you fit this description and have any interest in doing some sailing, maybe getting an RYA accredited qualification at little cost, then give the office a call, they're mega helpful.

Hello all :relaxed:

Just to let you know I’m off now for a couple of weeks (eek!) to head to sunny Spain. 

I’ll be back on 25 October. :thumbsup:  

Hope you all have an excellent couple of weeks, and take it easy on @Mads and @Marc while I’m away. :wink:

Well, I’m back off hols... 

It’s been lovely reading through everyone’s words of support to us and to each other over the last few weeks - thank you. :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well, I’m back off hols... 

It’s been lovely reading through everyone’s words of support to us and to each other over the last few weeks - thank you. :blush:

Welcome back @Nataly . Hope you had a fab holiday out there in Spain. 😎

Heading off for a few days of rest. To idle, to stroll and saunter, to drink coffee, watch the world go by.

Some people call it flaneuring :laughing: I like it - link here

See y’all on Monday! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc nice one!

one for the 

thread.

Of course others might call it loitering with intent, but you don’t have a tent….

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey indeed, I like that word a lot our Marc and Wozeeta 😳👍👍👏👏! Not heard it before actually.

Flaneuring, what a great word. Never come across it before. Not even in the OED. To “wander with intention and discover a better life”.