Old gadgets and household items we miss

• 1 November 2018
  • 18 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies
I spotted the other day that John Lewis is going to stop selling DVD players.

My folks won’t be pleased!

It has got me thinking - what other household items and gadgets which were once everywhere have gone the same way?

I do miss making my own mix-tape cassettes with songs recorded from the radio. I’d make a load and give them to friends as gifts. So, this is what I miss:

What about you guys? Feeling nostalgic yet? ;)

18 replies

Userlevel 6
@Marc Are you talking about me again "old gadgets" ;)

For me, its the old VHS and later S-VHS video recording system. We still have loads of tapes but nothing to play the on now!

CD's are perhaps getting closer towards this list now?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Yeah same. CDs, 7 inch and 12 inch vinyl records, cassette tapes and recording Top 40 on a Sunday night 😂, trying desperately hard to hit PAUSE before DJ spoke!

I miss Spangles sweets and ORIGINAL high glucose Lucozade of 1970s 😥, not this low sugar new recipe they have introduced 👎👎👎👎👎.

Soooooooo miss ORIGINAL roast beef Monster Munch from late 70s. I know they still make Monster Munch but they’re light puffs now, not that firm crunchy gorgeousness they were when we were kids 😂👍.

I really miss “Answers on a postcard”, ie the excitement of Saturday morning children’s TV, entering the competitions, then waiting excitedly to see if your sealed down envelope was being pulled from a huge sack the following week 😂😂😂👍. Kids have it too easy today, and nothing much excites them, it’s all done for them.

Co Op holiday camps, when the entire U.K. almost, would shut down for two weeks, and everyone and his dog (literally) loaded cars up to go off to Skegness, Great Yarmouth, Rhyl or Kidwelly 😂😂😂😂. Smashing memories, I tell ya!

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I don’t think anything will replace the childhoods of the 70s, and I truly feel blessed to have been a child in that era. Treasure those memories forever, honestly will 💕💕💕.
Userlevel 6
Bev;15299:
...... cassette tapes and recording Top 40 on a Sunday night, trying desperately hard to hit PAUSE before DJ spoke!

OMG, thanks @Bev for the memory, I've spent hours and hours doing that taping off the Sunday night top 40 show. When I didn't get there fast enough before the DJ I resorted to "cutting and splicing" the tape. Soon got fed up of that bit though 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
😂😂😂I remember cutting splicing days from my hospital radio stint Gil. Tedious! 👎😁

Just thought of another one! .......waiting two weeks for your photos to come in the post from TruPrint (whipper snappers, ask ya parents! 😂😂😂) but the JOY of opening that packet! Just immense wasn’t it!

Nothing beats that thrill of putting your photos into a photo album! Technology moves so so fast, but nothing will replace that 35 mm camera 📸and the anticipation of waiting for the pics to be developed! How fast times move 😢
Userlevel 6
@Bev you do bring back the memories that I had completely forgotten about. Yes, I so remember now waiting for the postman to deliver the photos and the upset when he(she!) didn't. My first "110" camera, brilliant, I loved it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Haha good old days of watching the same channel all night because everyone was too lazy to get up and turn the tv over, while chewing away on the 10p bag of 1/2penny chews,blackjacks etc etc.all on the black and white TV.
Also as kids stealing the corona pop bottles from your neighbours so you can take them back to the shop and collect the deposit. 10pence a bt big money in the late 70's
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Kodachrome 35mm slides projected onto a proper screen...
and while we're here I think I still have my 1/8" spicing kit for cassettes..

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be....
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Remember the Spectrum ZX 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀😂, OMG how everyone and his dog had to had one of those for Christmas when they first came out!

And that TV “tennis” game but it was just black screen with two white strips as “rackets” and you had to hit the ball back forth back forth! Jeez we spent hours on that 😂😂😂😂. Kids don’t know they’re born today 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Salvation Army brass band 🎺🎺🎺🎷🎷🎷playing a full half hour in your street Christmas morning, and collecting door to door, full of smiles and Christmas cheer, in three foot of snow. I know I sound about 94 😂but those memories are truly divine 💕💕💕💕
Userlevel 6
@Bev, are yes, the ZX Spectrum, never had one myself, but did get one of those tennis games (bored me to tears after the first hour!). My first computer was the good old BBC model B. Fond memories even today of that and hooking up to "Prestel". I then remember the revolt when Prestel started charging 1p a minute to use it. It died shortly after that and the "real" internet started to appear.

It's also reminded me of the first colour space invader games in the amusement arcades - B&W screens with those colour see through bands. Brilliant 🙂
Oh wow this is really turning into a trip down memory lane ❤

Soooooooo miss ORIGINAL roast beef Monster Munch

I was more of a pickled onion man myself @Bev

Remember the Spectrum ZX

Yep. I had one of those. One friend had an Acorn computer and another had a BBC @dgilbert2
Then a few years later someone got an Atari computer and everything changed

chewing away on the 10p bag of 1/2penny chews,blackjacks etc

Blimey @Jon1 halfpenny sweets! Fizzy cola bottles were my favourite. 20p and you'd get 40 of them! Mind you a Mars bar was only 16p so that was tempting too 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What is this decimal money you speak of?
Mars bars were 5 pence (5d) in proper old money (and kit-kats 4d)

that's equivalent to about 2 new p!
(I'm going to guess that some smart a*** is now going to tell me they weren't born before decimal money came along...)

Blimey
@Jon1 halfpenny sweets! Fizzy cola bottles were my favourite. 20p and you'd get 40 of them! Mind you a Mars bar was only 16p so that was tempting too :D

Reading this thread, I’m beginning to feel like a luddite.

CDs - still have, plus 2 CD players, and a CD Walkman

7 inch and 12 inch vinyl records - still have, plus a turntable.

ZX Spectrum - either I, or one of my friends, still has one we bought in a car boot sale - ‘the ravenous rat eats the loaf and runs away’ - those were the days.

I’m beginning to feel the fact I’ve got an iPod Classic, and an iPod Nano, probably makes me sound ancient as well.

ZX Spectrum - either I, or one of my friends, still has one we bought in a car boot sale - ‘the ravenous rat eats the loaf and runs away’ - those were the days.

Do you think you could get it working again @Gwyndy ?

I had a Spectrum. One mate had a BBC, another had an Acorn. We were all v chuffed. Then Atari came along…… :open_mouth:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

And not so much household items, this one, as the instruction manuals that used to go with them! Only yesterday I couldn’t switch Bluetooth off on the toothbrush. It was sooooo easy to grab the manual in the good old days. It should be easy to find online, but never as easy as the manual IMO. Found it eventually but what a faff 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😂😂😂

And not so much household items, this one, as the instruction manuals that used to go with them! Only yesterday I couldn’t switch Bluetooth off on the toothbrush. It was sooooo easy to grab the manual in the good old days. It should be easy to find online, but never as easy as the manual IMO. Found it eventually but what a faff 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😂😂😂

We have a drawer FULL of old manuals in our house. For things we don’t even own anymore… and haven’t owned for years… still handy to have the manuals though :thinking::joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Only yesterday I couldn’t switch Bluetooth off on the toothbrush.

@Bev You have a toothbrush that makes your teeth blue?!

How strange..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Only yesterday I couldn’t switch Bluetooth off on the toothbrush.

@Bev You have a toothbrush that makes your teeth blue?!

How strange..

Wow - Best keep this a secret as it could catch on. In the mean time I’ll give it a go whilst its still exclusive. Got to be in with in crowd and go where the in crowd go. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂