Question

Notice period if you aren't in a contract?

• 21 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi All.

I wanted to pick your brains if possible - I considered adding it to this, but it’s not quite the same thing.

My friend, is with an energy company who shall remain nameless, although if you know where I live, it may give you big clue.

My friend’s fixed-term contract came to an end in December, and she was planning to switch to Pure Planet - however, due to said ‘nameless company’ being ‘a wee bit daft’ - they’ve not charged her enough for her energy over the year - even by their own estimation of usage from her first statement - that however is another topic entirely.

So to get to the point:

I was looking at my friend’s statements online yesterday to see if I could work out what she actually owes (not easy as they are quarterly, and the website shows all payments received, giving a false impression of account balance) and when doing so I noticed this:

1: Her tariff states it has 'no end date' and 'no exit fee' - therefore ‘Standard Variable’

2: Further down her statement is a box containing the following - emphasis mine.

Key contractual terms:
Ending this contract.
You may end your contract at any time without being charged an exit fee, but you must give us 28 days notice (unless we agree to a shorter notice period) and pay us any money you owe us. Additional Charges We may charge you for visits, tests or work carried out at your request. Details of these charges are available on request.

Now, I can’t understand how, considering how OFGEM’s switching system works over 17 days they can state ‘you must give us 28 days notice’ nor whether that’s:

11 days notice, then you can apply to switch?
or 
28 days notice,  then you can apply to switch?

Which leaves a total of 45 days?

Any ideas, suggestions, comments gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance

Me.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Gwyndy 

Does your friend have a copy of the T+c’s ?

I see this slightly differently but that may be a result of the Irn-Bru...

How I read that is that they are covering their backsides in giving themselves the option to delay the switch so they can bill you for the (then or latest) outstanding balance. I may be wrong. (A final bill would still be required)
But….
they can do that anyway,  more research required on how for long can a switch can be prevented if the customer doesn’t pay, but by saying that it implies that whether or not the customer has paid, if the customer gives notice of 28 days they can no longer charge for supply after that time, which of course makes no sense either as the customer would or may then have no energy contract with anyone.

It certainly begs some clarity from the company.