My iPhone is either dead or sleeping - should I get the latest version or not?

• 12 October 2020
  • 26 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

It’s finally happened.

My aged iPhone 6S Plus which has served me so well for five years is…. nearly dead. It’s dying, or possibly having a sleep.

Apple Pay doesn’t work anymore. The very nice young man at the Apple store in Bath couldn’t fix it yesterday. Several resets were tried. He says the hardware’s gone. :slight_frown:

Today, a banking app stopped working. And now the track-trace thingy has gone weird, too.

So, I could have spent £300 to get a like-for-like 6S Plus replacement yesterday. Or, I could buy a different/newer version, which I think is the best option.

Should I go for an iPhone 12, which is prob going to be announced tomorrow?

Or maybe pick up an 11 or even a X model as they’ll probably be a bit slightly cheaper in just over 24 hours from now?

:thinking:

Need a new iPhone - which one should I get?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

IPhone? Get yourself an android Samsung. They're great. 👍👍

Oh boy…… you’ve done it now @Angelabikerbabe 

I’m putting my tin hat on :laughing::laughing:

As you’re a plus sized sort of guy, I guess you’ll want a large screen again. iPhone 12 Plus Pro Max!

As you’re a plus sized sort of guy, I guess you’ll want a large screen again. iPhone 12 Plus Pro Max!

Nope I’m def going for a small version this time. Need a phone that’ll go into the front pocket easier.

So, you think 12 Pro? I’m wondering that the 11 Pro will be much cheaper, and either one will be a massive upgrade to the 6S I’m using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Not just Samsung, they are vastly overpriced for what they are. There are many different android phones with specs similar/better than Samsung/Apple, for less than half the price.

But yes, go for an android.

Seriously. iPhone 12 Mini could be good (5.4” screen).

Or go cheap with an iPhone SE.

Of course go Android if you fancy the slow lane… ☺️ Tin hat installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is not realistic to leave the Apple ecosystem, especially if you have other apple products, and you ( @Marc ) do. You will no longer be able to use your watch or sync with your computers. The “Another” option you’ve mooted isn’t an option.

Resistance is futile, your choice also depends on cash and how important the camera is (not as much if you have another camera you regularly use, but then the phone is always with you, the other cam isn’t)

Shame about the timing, can you tease another few weeks out of the 6?

I hope you’ve backed it up, that’s the most important thing.

The LiDar scanner is interesting but my guess is the £overhead for that option will initially be prohibitive, AND I’d expect the enhanced capabilities to take some time to mature.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/what-to-expect-apple-event-october/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

No brainer.

Firm no to Android, ESPECIALLY as you have Apple in other devices. That’d be madness!

Nothing less than the iphone 11 (which is beyond brilliant) BUT as you have such a strong interest in photography, go for the PRO. 

It’s sooooooooo like your little old 6 is saying “it’s time, old man, it’s time. I’m ready for my bed now” 😂😂😂😂👏👍

Badge

Break the ties (chains) from Apple and pick the Samsung Galaxy.   This is tough love advice @Marc 

It will feel like 😭😭 then 🤮🤮 then 🤔😜then 🥳🥳

It is not realistic to leave the Apple ecosystem, especially if you have other apple products, and you ( @Marc ) do. You will no longer be able to use your watch or sync with your computers. The “Another” option you’ve mooted isn’t an option.

Resistance is futile, your choice also depends on cash and how important the camera is (not as much if you have another camera you regularly use, but then the phone is always with you, the other cam isn’t)

Shame about the timing, can you tease another few weeks out of the 6?

Yep, reckon I can another few weeks out of the 6.

Resistance is futile?! :laughing: You Trekkie @woz :dizzy:

Similar prices. No contest. Resistance is futile!

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-s/

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I said the 11pro to save some pennies for you, Marc, but as the 12 Mini is just 100 notes more, I’d be thinking more of that as it looks gorge! When the first iPad Mini came out, I sooooooo loved it. 

To be honest @Bev I’m now even more confused! 

Too much choice perhaps! :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Remember me last year?! Sooooo the same! Not disappointed one single bit with my choice. You know 🍏; whichever you choose, it’ll be stunning, reliable and cutting edge 👏👏👏.🍏👍👍👍

All down to the size of your pockets @Marc. SE, 11 or 12 mini.

The mini will empty your pockets the most, but will then fit in the pocket the best!

I’m torn between the 12 mini and the 12 Pro… Silly to spend more, but the cameras are better.
My monologue:

I love the small size of the mini. Just discovered the 12 and 12 Pro ones are also almost smaller (thinner and lighter, but slightly bigger, 3mm higher) than my iPhone X.

Might have to go 12 pro. It is the same size but lots heavier. Even heavier than my X. Owwww, I don’t know now. Mind you, better camera and the telephone lens, I’d miss that. Godda be heavy 12 pro. But the Mini is so sweet and small and £300 cheaper (for 256GB).

OK, I’ve narrowed it down to two.

The iPhone 12 nothing

The iPhone 12 mini

Just waiting for the reviews….. :open_mouth:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Either will be superb 👏👍

iPhone 12 nothing is now on order. Reviews look good. Couldn’t wait for the mini as my current handset is gasping its final breaths…. Incredible how impossible it is now to operate as usual without a working phone.

Well done! I went Pro; couldn’t resist the camera.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I bet you’ll love it in no time, Marc 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I’m going to sound terrible, but speaking from experience.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to get an iPhone, Kate’s on her second, and both have been utterly unreliable  - I hoped that after her SE dying after barely a year, and her new one constantly refusing to respond to touch input now the warrantee has expired (12 month warranty, what are you playing at Apple?) - Kate would try something else, yet somehow she feels the answer’s another iFail - I’ve no idea why the newer phones are so bad, my iPad 4’s lasted well, the phones haven’t.

My personal view, if you’re going Android, get a OnePlus - 4 years and still going (despite falling out of the case onto a concrete path), not only that, but it’s had several years of Android updates.

I’ve deliberately avoided ‘ecosystems’ where tech is concerned, Windows PC, iOS tablet, Android phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have had iPhones for years, since they were first released, and no problems. I believe the security sector consider the iPhone one of the most secure phones. Android I would avoid. I am advised it is not up there with respect to security as the iPhone is. I moved from a PC to a MAC 14 years and no regrets. All the hassle of PC’s went - and I used to make them for my office, well put them together from parts.

I would go for the 12 but which one? The reviews of the 12 & 12 Pro are very good and it seems Apple have a winner with it. However, there is the iPhone 12 Mini to come end of next week. That also could be a winner.  And of course the 12 Pro max next week.

Which one? The main difference, apart from size is the camera. The Pro and the Max have a three lens camera system with one being a much improved telephoto lens. If you are a keen photographer then you may be pulled that way. However, the camera system in the 12 and Mini is very good as it is, the software inside runnning it all is the same as the Pro, except for the third lens’s. The pro has I think a steel case surround and the others aluminium but that may not be noticeable.

The Mini looks a good buy. It will have all the Pro has apart from the third camera lens. And it is smaller. Easier to drop in a shirt pocket when you are not wanting a jacket during our wonderful summer weather!

The Android and some of the others though for me are a no no. Although I am an Apple fan a talk about phones and advice given on security by those in that field put me off all other makes of phone.

OH! One more thing. A good bank manager is neede£!

My personal view, if you’re going Android, get a OnePlus - 4 years and still going (despite falling out of the case onto a concrete path), not only that, but it’s had several years of Android updates.

Good shout about the OnePlus phones @Gwyndy I had the OnePlus One and it was excellent. Buggy (a first generation thing) but great value. And it was clean of the ‘bloatware’ of pre-installed apps you get on some Android devices.

You sound to have been unlucky @Gwyndy. I know lots of friends and family who have swapped to iPhones (of various ages) and haven’t suffered like you.

If it helps, I’ve just purchased the Motorola G 5G Plus and my wife now has the OnePlus 8T. We change our phones every 2-3 years.