Hot Topic

Let’s get cooking! 🍱🍲🥫🥘🥟🍝🍕🥕🥦🥑🌶👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 15505 replies
Thought it might be nice to share our favourite, tried and tested, recipes with one another, or our own original recipes even.

I was cooking this vegetarian recipe this evening and it’s one of my favourite soups!

Moroccan chickpea Apple soup

Ingreds
2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
1 bunch of Spring Onions
3 Cavelo Nero leaves(you can use sweetheart or Savoy cabbage if prefer )
2 tsp of ground cumin
650 ml vegetable stock
400g of your favourite fresh tomatoes
1 jalapeño(I use Scotch bonnet but that’s way too hot for most palates)
Can of chickpeas
1 Red Pepper (capsicum)
1 yellow pepper
2 apples of your choice (I use Braeburn)
Can of butter beans
Juice of one lemon
Black pepper
Smoked paprika
Baked feta (rennet free, if veggie) (only needs 10 mins in oven)
Grated zest of one lemon (avoid white pith)
Fresh mint, chopped
Fresh coriander, chopped

Method
Heat rapeseed in large deep pan on hob
Add chopped spring onions and chppped cabbage leaves.
Heat til softened, for ten mins, on high heat.
Stir frequently.
Add the cumin.
Add the boiling stock, chopped tomatoes and chopped chilli
Stir in the chick peas (rinsed)
Deseed and chop into squares the yellow and red peppers. Add to pan.
Keep pan on hob on high heat for ten more minutes, stirring regularly
Chop the apples and add to the pan immediately (else will brown)
Add the can of butter beans (rinsed)
Grate the lemon zest then juice the lemon. Add the juice to the pan and stir.
Grind in black pepper to taste, and a tsp of smoked paprika.

Put feta into oven at this stage, to bake for ten minutes, whilst pan simmers.
Simmer pan for fifteen mins on a medium heat.
Serve into bowls
Top each serving with lemon zest and the chopped fresh herbs
Remove feta from oven, and top each bowl with a few cubes / chunks.

I hope you really enjoy this hearty, nutritious, vegetarian soup as much as I do!!!!!!!
Happy cooking, happy eating!

786 replies

Hey my name is Oli, I recently joined Pure Planet in our member services team 🆒

In the office today we did a charity bake sale to raise money for FareShare, a charity fighting food waste. They brought in various ingredients for us to use - here’s what I did with my ingredients: dried apricots and chocolate powder!

Apricot n' Rum Brownies
❤️

Ingredients

Brownies:

400g caster sugar

200g unsalted butter

200g bittersweet chocolate finely chopped

200g flour

50g chocolate drinking powder

4 eggs

2 tbsp Dark Rum

1 teaspoon salt

—————

Jam:

500g soft apricots

500ml water

300g sugar

4 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp spiced rum

1 tbsp honey

1 cinnamon stick

—————

Choco glaze:

1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp corn syrup

1 teaspoon chocolate drinking powder

since of salt

:raisinghands:

Method

Making the Jam:

1. mix apricots, honey, lemon and cinnamon
  2. add water and soak for an hour
  3. bring to boil then simmer for 30 mins
  4. take off the heat and mix in sugar and spiced rum
  5. boil on high heat for 15 mins
  6. heat for a further 10 mins constantly stirring
  7. blend 3/4 of the mixture so now you have chunky jam and smooth jam
  8. set aside

—————

Making a choco glaze:

1. melt chocolate, butter, corn syrup together
  2. add the chocolate drinking powder and salt

—————

Next the Brownies:

1. melt butter and chocolate
  2. whisk flour, cocoa power, salt
  3. beat eggs then whisk in sugar and dark rum
  4. combine the chocolate mixture
  5. fold in the flour mixture
  6. poor half the mixture into baking tray lined with non-stick backing paper
  7. add random spoons of the chunky jam on top
  8. add remaining mixture
  9. draw deep lines up and down mixture with a knife to swirl or mix around the jam
  10. bake at 160C for about 50 mins
  11. remove from oven and flip upside-down
  12. heat up the smooth jam and cover entire brownie with an even layer of it
  13. make sure the choco glaze is melted and drizzle it over the brownie in whatever way you’d like

Don't think we have enough cake? ;))
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I don’t have any microwave recipes I’m afraid, as don’t own microwave cos never ever liked them. I’ve also never bothered with the GI thingy. I believe good control can be achieved solely by just having the correct bolus and basal combo of insulin but of course I appreciate Type 2 is a whole different ball game, and a lot more self control required. Think health profs are starting to realise that Type 2 is prob the more complex of the two. Who knew?!

Your iced yoghurt sounds lovely. I must be one of the very very very few people who doesn’t really like ice cream! I don’t dislike it as such, but hardly ever eat it, so this variation using frozen fruits and yog sounds perfect. I don’t like sweetener nor stevia but am happy to use nothing to sweeten, as my taste buds have adjusted over the years. Irony tho is I was never a sweet tooth before diagnosis. Always savoury, and that’s still the case.

good luck with your cooking. You mention the low sugar beans. I tend to use pulses in almost every recipe. Huge fan of chick peas, and today I found Napolina tinned SPELT, a real hit in my soups, and a great controller of body’s glucose, as are all pulses (not the ones in sauces)

happy to help with any diab related questions Kniterella 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
No, that avocado mix on spelt is my kinda thing Kniterella 🆙; adore Morrison’s Spelt, Rye and wholegrain loaf. Asda also do their own sliced seeded loaf which is lovely 🆙.

Napolina just brought out tinned spelt, 60p a tin Asda, great for thickening soups at end. Great slow release carbs. As is quinoa of course. Most grains slow release🆙

Think I add fresh lemon juice to almost everything! 😉 Really love it.

I do avocado, lemon juice, dill, jalapeño, and fresh ginger all blended with splash of bottled water.
Then spread mixture onto hot seeded or spelt toast.
Top with chopped radish and cottage cheese.
Sprinkle with walnuts.

Delicious! 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Monsoon hail here with sunny spells in between, third day running now that I’ve got bleeding saturated, so spent a cosy afternoon doing cosy cooking.

Sadly, can’t claim this one to be my own, but it’s had a few tweaks, and makes for a mean hearty African stew (veggie of course)..........

AFRICAN STEW (VEGETARIAN)

Ingredients

Basmati rice
Rapeseed Oil 30 ml
Spring Onions (bunch of 8 to 10)
Green pepper
2 carrots, chopped
4 celery sticks
2 green chillis or 2 Jalapeno
Fresh ginger, approx 5cm square
15g Garam Masala
250g baby vine cherry tomatoes
2 bayleaves
2 Veg Oxo cubes to make 600ml stock
1 large potato, chopped
400g Edamame beans
30g peanut butter
Bag of fresh coriander
Half bag of baby spinach
black pepper

Method

Heat rapeseed oil in large pan.

Add chopped Springys, chopped green pepper, carrots and chopped celery and mix for 5 mins.

Add chopped chillis, finely chopped ginger, and Garam Masala to pan, and stir for 1 min.

Add baby tomatoes, halved. Put two bayleaves into your pan. Stir for three mins.

Make 600ml of boiling stock, and add to pan with chopped potato. Boil for 8 mins.

Add edamame soya beans (usually frozen from supermarkets) plus peanut butter.

Finely chop your fresh coriander and stir into pan with baby spinach leaves.

Add black pepper to taste.

Remove both bayleaves, and serve with cooked rice.

DELICIOUS
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Not a recipe, but with winter getting closer, and the C word 🎄🎅🤶🎁🎁🎁🛍🛍🛍🎉🎉🎈🎈🎈no doubt in our faces very very soon, it seemed the right time to talk chestnuts 🙀😂👍.

So, it’s really tedious trying to score the fresh ones with a cross IMO then cook in oven, and then try cracking them open, only to be disappointed with what’s left inside 👎😳🤨, soooooo my top tip today hee 😂is buy vacuum packed!

Made by Merchant, sealed vacuum pack, ok quite expensive BUT can eat straight from pack, or heat up in oven, or stirfry, AND totally vegan 🙀👍👏. Soooooo delicious, soooooooo full of iron 💪and vitamin C, plus heaps of potassium. Really are a nutritious buy. I’m even eating straight from packet as an early breakfast, lark hour, before walk to work, and fill me up for the whole morning! 😳👍👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Orange Cake with Ground Almonds. Cake tin base with a buttery caramel, set the oranges (Blood) on top. Add the batter, bake and turn out. Once again Otto. Debating the marmalade glaze. May be glaze 50% of the cake to taste the difference. Creme fresh, if we had some…can you deliver?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
That sounds nice @Bev
Sadly you lost me at cavelo nero.
Not a surprise really coming froma bloke whos fav baked beans are made by branston but because the can doesnt have a ring pull i buy heinz instead.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Just made a mean Shakshuka 👍.

A dish from the Middle East. Made it from scratch, huge success all round 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏 (well, there’s only me, but that’s irrelevant 😂😂😂😂😂)

Was very very tasty, blew my absolute head off 🗣, mega mega spicy 👅💥🔥, but really delicious!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Not cooking as such, just a little marinade to accompany my pulses. Just thought I’d share........

ready steady cook!

Looks soooooo healthy Bev 😋 👌 💪

Roasted some chickpea,  oh so moreish. 

Hey @LUCKY JO Do you just bung ‘em in the oven as they are? Or do you add any spices?

Badge +2

That's a beautiful sight Stutty 😍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ouch!
Bev;48794:
Continued......

Place your balls in a container ....​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Did someone mention cake?
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Bev, thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm really inspired to give it a try, the apple addition is definitely unusual. Also love the idea of baking feta - why have I never thought of it before? Your veggie recipe is such great timing for World Meat Free week 🙂

Here's my favourite curry recipe (although it does make about 10 portions, so worth adjusting if you're not super hungry!)

Ingredients:
2 medium butternut squash
7 cloves garlic, chopped
6 inches fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
6 medium onions, chopped
2.2 - 2½ litres vegetable stock
500g red split lentils
1 tsp black pepper
1 bar organic creamed coconut
2 tsp or more turmeric
Spinach (you can also use cabbage/seasonal greens) sliced
2 tsp sea salt
2 small limes or 1½ large lemons, juiced
150g (or 4 large handfuls) fresh coriander, washed well
1/2 tsp chilli flakes if you feel like it

Method:
1. Peel the squash and dice into 1 inch chunks

2. Place the garlic, onion, ginger and squash into the pan with the creamed coconut and cover with just over 2 litres (8 cups) of stock.

3. Put the lid on and bring to a medium simmer.

4. 10 minutes later, add the red lentils, black pepper, turmeric and chilli if using, stir and let simmer on medium for a further 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft and the squash is tender. You might wish to add the extra 200ml (1 cup) of water during cooking – it depends if you like your stew thicker or thinner.

5. In the last few minutes, add the sliced cabbage/greens and stir through. If using spinach, just add when you turn off the heat so it wilts

6. Turn off the heat, add the sea salt and pepper, the juice of the lime or lemon and check for seasoning and consistency – it should be like a thick stew – add more water if needs be.

7. Stir through the roughly chopped coriander and ladle into shallow bowls to serve.

Enjoy! I usually have it with brown rice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Impressive Bev, you possess a culinary talent. Almost to pretty to eat - I said almost, yummmmmmy 👏👏
Userlevel 5
My old Boss fella Mr Taber must have found it difficult to say my name, Orysia, so got called Ory. The nickname stuck while working there. Kniterella is my online handle but you can call me Ory I don’t mind.

Kniterella, I invented this name in 2004 when I bought my first computer, I was like Cinderella knitting in the fireplace waiting fir my Prince Charming to whisk me into his white charger canering on ito the sunset. Lol!

I registered my business idea and name Knits-galore, at Inland Revenue, who said it was not being used at the time. But a few years ago I noticed someone had copied my online handle name but spelled with 2 t’s on FaceBook. So I told her why did she copy my online handle, its my nvention. She replied she built her business on the Knitterella name since 2005, so I said I invented my online name of Kniterella, in 2004, so she must have sopied it from me, the *******. I could not sue her for copying my online handle name. Honest there are so many people copying my handle but spet differently, my business name, spelled every which way too, so I got a Trademark TM Cert from Intellectual Property Office, so now the copying has stopped. I have the right to sue people who copy my business name.

Anyway if Kniterella is a bit of a mouthful sure you can call me Ory here. On my FB page and Ravelry, other websites I’m kniwn as Kniterella.

There I go again totally Off Topic. Sorry all, I am prone to writing essays in emails, so I’ll have t stop being a motormouth on here. Lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Very decadent - cheeky Ales on a Wednesday - tempting...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is a winner, ok its made with yeast and not using that pro longer sourdough starter method that takes time to make…, but blimey its quick, easy and affective...

That sounds super yummy @Bev ! Sound like quite the soup expert🆒 great, easy to follow method too🆙

As we're getting into BBQ season (hopefully) I'm looking to think up some great marinades soon...

Also, LOVE BBQ'd veggies - corn and red pepper especially❤️

Here's hoping some BBQs can happen over the bank holiday weekend!
@Bev as the reigning soup queen you'll like this...

Realised yesterday that a bunch of stuff in my fridge was about to go off... a key step toward cooking in a more sustainable way is by making sure you don't waste any food - according to charity WRAP approx 10 million tonnes of food are wasted in the UK every year!

Sooo...

I made a soup! (/it's probably more of a broth tbh:rolleyes:)

Chopped up carrots, onion, celery, garlic and some chicken I had left over from a previous meal...

Bunged them all in a pot with some olive oil to cook for about 5 mins. Then added a mix of chicken + veggie stock (just over 1 litre) and some tinned tomatoes. I also then added some cut up bacon as that also had to be used up!

Bring to the boil.. simmer for about 30 mins..

done! Lunch for the week sorted, and fridge cleared of any foods that would've gone to waste otherwise :raisinghands: (plus, it's actually super yummy)

Can easily be made veggie too (could add sweet potato or beans instead of meat?), I just happened to have some meat remaining from other dinners that week :)

WRAP have a great website here which has lots of tips and recipes on how to avoid food waste and use up any leftovers 🙂
Bev;10784:
Monsoon hail here with sunny spells in between, third day running now that I’ve got bleeding saturated, so spent a cosy afternoon doing cosy cooking.

Sadly, can’t claim this one to be my own, but it’s had a few tweaks, and makes for a mean hearty African stew (veggie of course)..........

AFRICAN STEW (VEGETARIAN)

Ingredients

Basmati rice
Rapeseed Oil 30 ml
Spring Onions (bunch of 8 to 10)
Green pepper
2 carrots, chopped
4 celery sticks
2 green chillis or 2 Jalapeno
Fresh ginger, approx 5cm square
15g Garam Masala
250g baby vine cherry tomatoes
2 bayleaves
2 Veg Oxo cubes to make 600ml stock
1 large potato, chopped
400g Edamame beans
30g peanut butter
Bag of fresh coriander
Half bag of baby spinach
black pepper

Method

Heat rapeseed oil in large pan.

Add chopped Springys, chopped green pepper, carrots and chopped celery and mix for 5 mins.

Add chopped chillis, finely chopped ginger, and Garam Masala to pan, and stir for 1 min.

Add baby tomatoes, halved. Put two bayleaves into your pan. Stir for three mins.

Make 600ml of boiling stock, and add to pan with chopped potato. Boil for 8 mins.

Add edamame soya beans (usually frozen from supermarkets) plus peanut butter.

Finely chop your fresh coriander and stir into pan with baby spinach leaves.

Add black pepper to taste.

Remove both bayleaves, and serve with cooked rice.

DELICIOUS

Tried out your African stew @Bev
It was delicious! And pretty simple to make (good instructions)

It got the thumbs up at our place. Had it for dinner yesterday evening (Sat) and leftovers for lunch today! 🙂
Leek, mushroom, kale and pea curry - from Meera Sodha's 'East' cookbook

It was delicious! I had it with rice, even though her recipe (see details below) suggests hot chapatis​​​​​​​.

In her book it's called a 'subji', aka mixed vegetable stir fry.

Prep 8 min
Cook 30 min
Serves 4

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
3 leeks (about 500g), trimmed and finely sliced
600g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
1 ¾ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 ¼ tsp salt
200g kale, chopped
150g frozen peas

Put the cumin and fennel seeds in a mortar, and bash until they’re fairly well ground.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan for which you have a lid, then add the ground spices and the mustard seeds, and stir-fry for a minute, until the cumin turns a shade darker. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until soft – around six minutes – then add the garlic and cook for two minutes more.

Add the leeks and cook until they’ve softened and unravelled – around five minutes – then add the mushrooms. It will seem as if there are too many to fit in the pan, but they will soon wilt.

After five minutes, when the mushrooms are juicy, add the chilli, turmeric and salt, then stir in the kale, and cook for eight minutes, until the stems and leaves are tender. Throw in the peas and cook for two or three minutes more, until they are hot and soft.

Check for chilli and salt, adjust to taste, and serve with hot chapatis and a dairy-free yoghurt of your choice.
Pedigree is £1 a bottle in Morrisons. Every day is a Wednesday! 🍺
Strutt G;52030:
Very decadent - cheeky Ales on a Wednesday - tempting...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Bevs Butternut & Butter bean soup (my own recipe)

Butternut squash
2 tables****s rapeseed oil
Bunch spring onions
8 baby new potatoes OR 2 medium potatoes
1 Jalapeño
2 lemons
600ml vegetable stock (2 veggie oxo cubes)
Fresh Basil
Tin butter beans
Seasoning to taste

1. Wrap butternut squash in silver foil, and roast whole for one hour in oven.
2. Cut in half and scoop out soft flesh.
3. Add flesh to large pan on hob, of hot rapeseed oil.
4. Add chopped springies.
5. Add baby potatoes or chopped medium potatoes.
6. Stir in chopped deseeded Jalapeño.
7. Add boiling veg stock, using 600ml boiling water and two veg oxo cubes.
8. Stir for twenty mins until veg softened.
9. Blend to soup consistency.
10. Top with cooked butter beans, fresh basil leaves, plus freshly squeezed lemon juice.
11. Season to taste.

Makes for a wonderfully hearty farty meal. Enjoy!