Hot Topic

Let’s get cooking! 🍱🍲🥫🥘🥟🍝🍕🥕🥦🥑🌶👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 17464 replies
Thought it might be nice to share our favourite, tried and tested, recipes with one another, or our own original recipes even.

I was cooking this vegetarian recipe this evening and it’s one of my favourite soups!

Moroccan chickpea Apple soup

Ingreds
2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
1 bunch of Spring Onions
3 Cavelo Nero leaves(you can use sweetheart or Savoy cabbage if prefer )
2 tsp of ground cumin
650 ml vegetable stock
400g of your favourite fresh tomatoes
1 jalapeño(I use Scotch bonnet but that’s way too hot for most palates)
Can of chickpeas
1 Red Pepper (capsicum)
1 yellow pepper
2 apples of your choice (I use Braeburn)
Can of butter beans
Juice of one lemon
Black pepper
Smoked paprika
Baked feta (rennet free, if veggie) (only needs 10 mins in oven)
Grated zest of one lemon (avoid white pith)
Fresh mint, chopped
Fresh coriander, chopped

Method
Heat rapeseed in large deep pan on hob
Add chopped spring onions and chppped cabbage leaves.
Heat til softened, for ten mins, on high heat.
Stir frequently.
Add the cumin.
Add the boiling stock, chopped tomatoes and chopped chilli
Stir in the chick peas (rinsed)
Deseed and chop into squares the yellow and red peppers. Add to pan.
Keep pan on hob on high heat for ten more minutes, stirring regularly
Chop the apples and add to the pan immediately (else will brown)
Add the can of butter beans (rinsed)
Grate the lemon zest then juice the lemon. Add the juice to the pan and stir.
Grind in black pepper to taste, and a tsp of smoked paprika.

Put feta into oven at this stage, to bake for ten minutes, whilst pan simmers.
Simmer pan for fifteen mins on a medium heat.
Serve into bowls
Top each serving with lemon zest and the chopped fresh herbs
Remove feta from oven, and top each bowl with a few cubes / chunks.

I hope you really enjoy this hearty, nutritious, vegetarian soup as much as I do!!!!!!!
Happy cooking, happy eating!

948 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey our @Bev :relaxed: when you’re making red cabbage, how do you cook it?  Do you add much in the way of other flavours?

Today our Jen, it worked well, finely chopped with cooked beetroot, added to stir fried fresh ginger and chillis, and a generous helping of feta cheese! All stirfried til piping, but still crunchy! Perfect. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You won’t believe it @Bev, I cooked another recipe from my new book - I’m a woman possessed :joy:  A delicious sausage and lentil dish. I’ve never cooked lentils from scratch before, but it was so easy - everything went in a pot together. I basically fried up some onion, celery and carrots, then added chicken stock and cider along with the lentils and browned sausages and whopped it in the oven. Such a comforting dish. I reckon it would be just as tasty with veggie stock and your Richmond’s sausages.

I’m officially on strike now though - someone else can do the cooking tonight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You inspired me our Alex, as not often I make gravy, but do adore one pots and tons veg, so used the Richmond vegan sausage, baby new potatoes, veg and warming own stock. Not gonna lie, impressed MYSELF 😳😳😳👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Simple, healthy, and sooooooo tasty! 

Mmmmmmmmmmm ya beauty 👍💕💕💕💕💕💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

And into the dish for a gorgeous big bowl of hearty Farty winters soup! 

Topped with chick peas 💕💕💕👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

And out she comes….…

Looks perfect consistency, smells, perfect. Just sample teaspoon to check👍💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In she goes, ya beauty……..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Biting raw raw white day ❄️❄️❄️❄️with glorious sunshine☀️, so perfect cosy day for preparing some soup for later. 

This has warming chilli 🌶and ginger in, with nuts, seeds, celery, olives, carrots 🥕🥕🥕🥕and cosy sprouts🤣 hee. Smelling grand! 

Winter goodness 💕💕💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey our @Bev :relaxed: when you’re making red cabbage, how do you cook it?  Do you add much in the way of other flavours?

Should have taken pic but forgot, but had chopped raw red cabbage tonight our Jen, with balsamic, then a dressing I made, of fresh lemon juice 🍋, two red chillis 🌶🌶, two tablespoons rapeseed oil, and all stirred, then poured over the cabbage.

Two chopped baby vine tomatoes added, and it really was delicious. Meditteraneon, and super healthy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

When soupmakers very very first came out, I invested in one. I gave it to charity almost within a few weeks, it just wasn’t for me. 

I make soups soooooooooo often, and simply use my Ninja and deep cooking pot, but I know soup makers have come a long long way since those early days, so just wanted to give this one a plug, as it’s been recommended to me as being superb. Not only by one, but four customers.  If you’re thinking of a soup maker, I think this would be a good one to consider. 

TEFAL EASY SOUPY MAKER 🍵

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Lots ask me the same Jen, no lie! It’s such a tricky one to cook. I’ve vowed never to use in my soups again! Yes it makes for superb colour BUT not nice taste for soups at all, really didn’t like it. Persevered and tried it twice, but not for me. 

So then I tried stir frying it, with all my other veg. This is truly my favourite way of cooking veg, with a lid towards end to steam it a tad. Again tho, I was less impressed than when I eat it raw! I truly find now, that I enjoy fresh red cabbage most, when it’s eaten raw. I like it chopped, with a dash of balsamic, OR a dressing of rapeseed oil, red chilli and fresh lemon juice 🍋. In fact, no lie, all ingress on work surface now, to prepare later on, as that’s what I fancy. 

So yes Jen, was gorge with the vegan sausages, and the only thing it needed was balsamic. Crisp and crunchy, and sooooooooo good for the heart our Jen, sooooo good for the heart. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hey our @Bev :relaxed: when you’re making red cabbage, how do you cook it?  Do you add much in the way of other flavours?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No no. It didn’t work 👎👎👎👎

Worth a try, but no. No no. 

Enjoyed the fresh red cabbage with balsamic, and vegan sausages tho 👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee hee 😁, just made this up 👍

I used three avocado 🥑🥑🥑, three 🌶🌶🌶, 1 🍋and 1🍊plus extra Tropicana juice. Added 1 🥕and stir fried all in wok. Large piece of ginger, chopped (about 10cm x 5cm). 

Whizzed all in Ninja, to make a mean, citrus, Orange Lemon and Avocado purée which I will serve with Richmond vegan sausages I think, and fresh red cabbage later 😁👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Seriously, that is my kinda dish, as ADORE one pot, and that is proper comforting winter food mmmmmmmmm. Without fail it’d work as a veggie version. You are doing bloomin fab, Alex! 😳👍👏Sounds a ruddy good book if you’ve made that many already! Impressed! Do love lentils, and sooooooo healthy and filling. Truly nutritious 👍👏👏👏👏👏. I am soooo into 🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕and celery this week, truly am, and they’re making me feel really well, no lie! Like the addition of cheeky cider Alex 😳👏👍, sounds really really good. Good on you! 

Userlevel 4

You won’t believe it @Bev, I cooked another recipe from my new book - I’m a woman possessed :joy:  A delicious sausage and lentil dish. I’ve never cooked lentils from scratch before, but it was so easy - everything went in a pot together. I basically fried up some onion, celery and carrots, then added chicken stock and cider along with the lentils and browned sausages and whopped it in the oven. Such a comforting dish. I reckon it would be just as tasty with veggie stock and your Richmond’s sausages.

I’m officially on strike now though - someone else can do the cooking tonight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No no, our Alex, don’t be harsh on self, as I too sooooooo love a recipe🙃😁. No lie, sooooo love a method and list of ingreds. I do improvise yes, but usually have had a recipe to start with, then tweaked it over the years to make my own thing, to suit. Have to say tho, with soups it’s always deffo improvised. I don’t follow recipes for that, love to make my own up. 

And larfing, cos yet again, soooooooo the same Alex re LOVING one pot cooking! My cooking pot and my wok are my two favourite things that use every day, and of course the Ninja yes. 

You have done ace to make sooooo much already from your new book! Impressed 😳👏👏👏👍👍👍

Userlevel 4

@Bev, that looks absolutely delicious, and so simple to make! Healthy too I should think :yum: Ninja seriously need you as a Brand Ambassador! 

I was really lazy with my cooking last month, but I’ve been inspired by some cookbooks I was given for Christmas. Diana Henry’s From the Oven to the Table in particular. I’ve tried a chicken and miso dish, a cod with chorizo and potatoes and Indian-spiced veggies with herby butter and yoghurt - all delicious if I do say so myself! The great thing about her book is that everything goes straight in a pan in the oven, so much less washing up involved.

I’m definitely more of a follow instructions in a recipe book kind of cook than a fling it all in a pan and see what happens one. I wish I could be as inventive as you Bev! 

Userlevel 4

How lovely for someone to go out of their way to get in something you so enjoy @G4RHL - and the wine too! 

I’ve only tried snails a few times, served in the traditional way in Paris, but also deep fried in a pakora batter, in an amazing little restaurant in Bath. It was part of a tasting menu, an amuse bouche, before the starter, served with tasty breads and different infused oils. Absolutely delicious. I’m not sure I’d attempt them at home though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So, as mentioned earlier, here’s my fave go to topping for my baguette. 

Just about to have it with news. 

Baked baguette, with avocado, chilli, lemon, dill, and ginger, blended in ninja. Topped with cottage cheese, radish, nuts and seeds. Served with carrots and celery 👍💕

Badge +5

Anybody here cook snails? I used to love them but they don’t appear in many restaurants now and not in most supermarkets. They can be found on Amazon but not cheap. They made/make a nice starter. And of course good for you!  Not had them for many years.

I was once taken out to lunch by a gentleman who knew my liking for these molluscs. It was in a 4 to 5 star hotel. My starter came and it was snails. This hotel did not serve snails but he had sourced them and insisted the chef cook them. He even produced the red wine for the waiter to serve as he preferred it to the standard offerings from the hotel. An interesting character he was. An exceptionally clever man as well. But I digress. Snails. Experiences?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No cookery involved at all, but this is my favourite GO TO healthy Ninja medley, which I love with oven baked baguettes 🥖♨️💕, or simply spread on rye toasts. 

Basically, avocado 🥑, chilli 🌶, fresh ginger, fresh dill 🌱🌱🌱, fresh 🍋, all whizzed in Ninja. 

Then served on a hot baguette, with cottage cheese, chopped radish, nuts and seeds 👍👏💕

I shall post more pics later, but starter for ten. 

Raw veg smells sooooooooooooo good 💕👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Chick pea medley……

Mixed, to go on top of the rye toasts

And there we have it……....…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not cooking, but a simple medley of cheeses and chillis, with crumbly cheese on top too, and baby vine tomatoes. Chick peas cooking. 

Spread onto rye toasts and in the oven she goes ♨️👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah thanks Jen, I am right now, on life, just having a bowl hee, cheeky early lunch, but it’s soooooo lovely now it’s silky smooth. Deffo better. Some soups work incredibly well coarse and chunky, but for this one no, it deffo needs smooth. Perfect now. Added a cheeky topping of 🧀🧀🧀🧀😁too. Thanks Jen

Userlevel 6
Badge

That looks great @Bev - just right for the freezing cold weather!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Made enough for the week, but decided to finely blend the rest even further. This was nice ⬆️but tiny bit coarse. Smooth as silk now. Taste was spot on, just felt the need for finer consistency.