Hot Topic

Let’s get cooking! 🍱🍲🥫🥘🥟🍝🍕🥕🥦🥑🌶👏

Show first post

786 replies

I am definitely saving this!!! Looks so yummy!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my goodness, you guys have such amazing recipes, gonna try at least a couple this weekend! So happy I joined this forum!
Bev;32930:
This is beyond spooky Marc! ������������������������������������

On life I came here to ask if anyone had heard they are re releasing the gorgeous Marmite XO, it’s a really strong matured version, but sadly discontinued ten years back. Being re released Tesco for six months, then if a hit, all supermarkets ������������, following demand from social media������

I had a recipe that I’d made, using said XO but then had to start making it with standard marmite. Bugger me if it wasn’t this exact recipe you’ve just asked about ������������������������������������.

I cant remember if you are a Marmite lover ������or hater������, but hopefully you may find a substitute if you don’t like the gorgeous stuff ������.

PEARL BARLEY ASPARAGUS SAFFRON RISOTTO

Tablespoon Rapeseed Oil
Tin Chick Peas
Bunch Springy Onions
Bunch asparagus spears
1 Green Pepper
3 Chillis (2 green, 1 red, but adjust to 3 green if bit wimpy ������)
200g Pearl Barley
1 teaspoon XO Marmite (use standard Marmite or 2 vegetable Oxo cubes if don’t like)
Small bottle of Pinot Gr white wine ������
Black Pepper
Jar of Saffron threads
Veggie Feta cheese
Parsley to garnish to taste

Heat oil in wok.
Add chopped Springy Onions, chopped ������������������and chopped green pepper. Stir.

Add 750ml boiling water to measuring jug.
Add saffron threads (all)
Stir in the Marmite or two crumbled Oxo cubes
Keep eye ������on wok, turn down heat.

Add small bottle of wine (forgot the size, the small bottles for one person) to the wok.
Turn up heat to cook off the alcohol. Save tiny bit of wine to drink out the bottle whilst cooking ������������
Continue stirring.
Stir in Pearl Barley and drained chick peas (you can pre cook or microwave chicks first to soften, if prefer)
Add stock from measuring jug, ladle at a time, to slowly soften the barley. Do this at mid heat, and stir.

When all stock is almost absorbed, keep heat low to medium, and add chopped asparagus and black pepper.

Add plenty of cubed feta at the end, and garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!

Tiny tip - I actually prefer this the following day, once flavours have absorbed more, and reheated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hope you enjoy cooking it and eating it, Sophie! 👍
Will let you know how it goes!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Made this little soup up this evening......

Parsnip, Turnip, and Dill soup. 🍵

Add two tablespoons rapeseed oil to deep pan.

Add chopped spring onions, and a chopped potato to pan.

Add parsnip chunks, turnip chunks and one red 🌶and one green chilli to pan.

Make 750ml stock using two vegetable oxo cubes and boiling water.

Add stock, continue stirring.

Heat black beans in microwave or oven.

Simmer soup for twenty mins, medium heat.

Then blend to thick, smooth consistency,

Add juice of one lemon 🍋, stir.

Ladel soup into bowls, top with black beans and freshly chopped dill.

This looks delicious @Bev 😛 Making me super hungry
Ever thought of a book?
Forgot to ask @Bev
How many parsnips and turnips?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Whoops, sorry Marc 🤭, forgot to say 🙃. I used all in the bag in the picture, ie four, and one turnip.

Two tablespoons rapeseed oil
Bunch Spring Onions
One Turnip
Four Parsnips
One potato with skin
One green chilli, deseeded
One red chilli, deseeded 🌶
Cooked black beans 👅💥💨
750ml stock, using 2 Veg Oxo cubes and boiling water
Juice of one 🍋
Pack of fresh dill, finely chopped

​Very tasty meal, hee re book
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Look at that little bad boy for storing me fresh mint 🍃in the fridge. Perfect! 👍👏👍

Bev;35112:
Look at that little bad boy for storing me fresh mint ������in the fridge. Perfect! ������������������

Great idea @Bev
Colours match too! ❤️
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
These sounded super tasty, albeit higher in fat and salt than would like, but just made them, and served with MacCain shakey shakey fries, soooooo tasty....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chargrilled_halloumi_09010

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Seriously beyond delicious! 85p Aldi 👍👍👍👍😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great for pistachios too! 😂😂😂👍👍👍👏👏👏, who knew!

Badge
NUTS!!!

I am allergic to the picture. "some emoji"
Bev;35311:
These sounded super tasty, albeit higher in fat and salt than would like, but just made them, and served with MacCain shakey shakey fries, soooooo tasty....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chargrilled_halloumi_09010

this looks amaaazing... such a sucker for halloumi... yum ❤️ thanks @Bev!
If you want a healthy ice lolly alternative for the sunshine, frozen greek yoghurt is delicious!

I've been blending up a couple of bananas, raspberries and strawberries, along with a load of greek yog, and then putting the mix in moulds to freeze.

Really nice and also more filling than a normal ice cream:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Super healthy Nat 👍👍👍👍, altho have to fess up, I had a lovely Solero as a treat after Asda today 😂😂😂😂. Simple things! Delicious!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Don’t larf - Bevs squeaky smoky Halloumi, topped with asparagus spears, served in a 🍋and olive oil jus!

Chop veggie halloumi into three thick slices, and cook in hot rapeseed oil, in a wok

Add two teaspoons of smoked paprika to your Halloumi. Cook on high heat til slightly browning. Remove Halloumi and place on a warm plate.

Break off the ends of your asparagus first, as these tough ends are not nice. Then finely chop your spears.

Add to your remaining smoky oil in wok. Coat with the oil for five mins. You want your asparagus crunchy not soggy 👍. Add the juice of one 🍋and coat for 30 seconds

Place your asparagus straight onto your halloumi slices, then drizzle on some olive oil (I use basil olive oil, but use what you enjoy)

This makes a simple swift meal, but surprisingly very filling. Asparagus is an acquired taste, as is squeaky Halloumi, but very very delicious!

PS Bear in mind, asparagus WILL make your wee wee smell. It’s normal!
Bev;36222:
Don’t larf - Bevs squeaky smoky Halloumi, topped with asparagus spears, served in a ������and olive oil jus!

Chop veggie halloumi into three thick slices, and cook in hot rapeseed oil, in a wok

Add two teaspoons of smoked paprika to your Halloumi. Cook on high heat til slightly browning. Remove Halloumi and place on a warm plate.

Break off the ends of your asparagus first, as these tough ends are not nice. Then finely chop your spears.

Add to your remaining smoky oil in wok. Coat with the oil for five mins. You want your asparagus crunchy not soggy ������. Add the juice of one ������and coat for 30 seconds

Place your asparagus straight onto your halloumi slices, then drizzle on some olive oil (I use basil olive oil, but use what you enjoy)

This makes a simple swift meal, but surprisingly very filling. Asparagus is an acquired taste, as is squeaky Halloumi, but very very delicious!

PS Bear in mind, asparagus WILL make your wee wee smell. It’s normal!

Looks delicious @Bev
Making me very hungry!
PS What did the cheese say to itself in the mirror?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
😂😂😂😂😂😂you can’t beat the old ones Marc 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Two new additions to my fridge, from Aldi Deli today 👍👏

Just cooking the sausages and they smell soooooo wonderful 😚, both vegan

Nice @Bev
I'm a big fan of beetroot burgers!
With some spicy guacamole 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Tried the sausages last night, and seriously beyond delicious! Soooooo curried and Asian 👍👍👍. Yet to try the beetroot burgers, but had the vegan sushi again for lunch today and soooooo love it! Sooooooo wanna learn chopsticks 🍜
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You'll need a piano....
Bev;36542:
Tried the sausages last night, and seriously beyond delicious! Soooooo curried and Asian ������������������. Yet to try the beetroot burgers, but had the vegan sushi again for lunch today and soooooo love it! Sooooooo wanna learn chopsticks ������
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I did play it on the organ many moons ago 😂😂😂😂

​Deffo gonna learn, maybe it’s really easy 🥢
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Not cooking as such, just a little marinade to accompany my pulses. Just thought I’d share........

ready steady cook!