Hot Topic

Let’s get cooking! 🍱🍲🥫🥘🥟🍝🍕🥕🥦🥑🌶👏

Show first post

786 replies

Hey my name is Oli, I recently joined Pure Planet in our member services team 🆒

In the office today we did a charity bake sale to raise money for FareShare, a charity fighting food waste. They brought in various ingredients for us to use - here’s what I did with my ingredients: dried apricots and chocolate powder!

Apricot n' Rum Brownies
❤️

Ingredients

Brownies:

400g caster sugar

200g unsalted butter

200g bittersweet chocolate finely chopped

200g flour

50g chocolate drinking powder

4 eggs

2 tbsp Dark Rum

1 teaspoon salt

—————

Jam:

500g soft apricots

500ml water

300g sugar

4 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp spiced rum

1 tbsp honey

1 cinnamon stick

—————

Choco glaze:

1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp corn syrup

1 teaspoon chocolate drinking powder

since of salt

:raisinghands:

Method

Making the Jam:

1. mix apricots, honey, lemon and cinnamon
  2. add water and soak for an hour
  3. bring to boil then simmer for 30 mins
  4. take off the heat and mix in sugar and spiced rum
  5. boil on high heat for 15 mins
  6. heat for a further 10 mins constantly stirring
  7. blend 3/4 of the mixture so now you have chunky jam and smooth jam
  8. set aside

—————

Making a choco glaze:

1. melt chocolate, butter, corn syrup together
  2. add the chocolate drinking powder and salt

—————

Next the Brownies:

1. melt butter and chocolate
  2. whisk flour, cocoa power, salt
  3. beat eggs then whisk in sugar and dark rum
  4. combine the chocolate mixture
  5. fold in the flour mixture
  6. poor half the mixture into baking tray lined with non-stick backing paper
  7. add random spoons of the chunky jam on top
  8. add remaining mixture
  9. draw deep lines up and down mixture with a knife to swirl or mix around the jam
  10. bake at 160C for about 50 mins
  11. remove from oven and flip upside-down
  12. heat up the smooth jam and cover entire brownie with an even layer of it
  13. make sure the choco glaze is melted and drizzle it over the brownie in whatever way you’d like

Don't think we have enough cake? ;))
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Wowsa Oli 🙀🙀🙀🙀they look scrumptious! Excellent detailed ingreds and method too 👏👏👏👏👏, hoping it made lots of money for the charity 👍👏
We managed to raise over £100 @Bev :eek:- pretty good for our lil office!

I have to say that @Bing1991 's brownie bites were amazing, definitely recommended!!

What're peoples' "go-to" weekday meals? Some quick n easy (but yummy) recipes or ideas would be great:raisinghands:
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
That’s fantastic, Nataly! Well done Oli too 👍.

Spooky you asking re recipes Nat as only yesterday made such another delicious soup 🍵. I think home made soups are unbeatable, so altho not always as “quick” as you’d want a go to meal to be, they are soooooooo worth the time and effort! I felt real drained when got in yesterday but after buying loads of veg, especially to invent a soup, I forced myself!

Now, without blowing my own 🎺, this really was delicious 😊

Carrot apple lemon soup 🥕🍋🍏🍵

5 carrots 🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕
5 new potatoes
2 small apples 🍏🍏
1 large lemon 🍋
1 courgette 🍆
Bunch spring onions
Mooli (Asian radish)
4 Jalapeño (adjust to taste)
2 baby aubergines 🍆🍆
Edamame beans 👅💥

700ml vegetable stock (2 Oxo cubes plus teaspoon marmite)

Add two tablespoons rapeseed oil to large pan, high heat on hob.

Heat all ingreds, EXCEPT the edamames and the lemon, chopped into the large pan. Use the whole of the mooli.

Stir to coat with oil, then add the hot stock.

Blend then add 🍋juice.

Serve into bowls then add cooked edamame beans to top.

No seasoning needed. Divine! Fresh and fragrant!

If tho, that all sounds too much shopping and hard work, my ultimate go to food right now, as I’m trying to introduce more vegan foods to my diet, is the Linda Mac Cartney scampi 🐠🐟, shown earlier within the thread. Great quick meal, you even cook it in the original foil, so less washing up 😂, and super tasty with Mc Cain fries.

Right now tho, I’m trying to be healthy, and instead of boring cabbage soup diet, I’m doing the Bevs Soups diet, so bulk of my weekly meals are my soups. Tons of crisp in between mind 🙀🙀🙀🙀👎👎👎😂😂😂😂😂🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄, but they’re my only vice 👍.
That sounds super yummy @Bev ! Sound like quite the soup expert🆒 great, easy to follow method too🆙

As we're getting into BBQ season (hopefully) I'm looking to think up some great marinades soon...

Also, LOVE BBQ'd veggies - corn and red pepper especially❤️

Here's hoping some BBQs can happen over the bank holiday weekend!
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
BBQ weekend - here we come :foldedhands:🆙:)❤️
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Summertime medley! 🍓🍓🍓🍓👍

@Bev as the reigning soup queen you'll like this...

Realised yesterday that a bunch of stuff in my fridge was about to go off... a key step toward cooking in a more sustainable way is by making sure you don't waste any food - according to charity WRAP approx 10 million tonnes of food are wasted in the UK every year!

Sooo...

I made a soup! (/it's probably more of a broth tbh:rolleyes:)

Chopped up carrots, onion, celery, garlic and some chicken I had left over from a previous meal...

Bunged them all in a pot with some olive oil to cook for about 5 mins. Then added a mix of chicken + veggie stock (just over 1 litre) and some tinned tomatoes. I also then added some cut up bacon as that also had to be used up!

Bring to the boil.. simmer for about 30 mins..

done! Lunch for the week sorted, and fridge cleared of any foods that would've gone to waste otherwise :raisinghands: (plus, it's actually super yummy)

Can easily be made veggie too (could add sweet potato or beans instead of meat?), I just happened to have some meat remaining from other dinners that week :)

WRAP have a great website here which has lots of tips and recipes on how to avoid food waste and use up any leftovers 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Sounds lovely. You can also boil any dodgy looking veg to within an inch of it's life to make into stock and freeze into cubes.

Will check out the WRAP website too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Oh my word, I will definitely have to be trying those fab looking cakes. I'm drooling just at the look of them. Slluurrrrppp!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ah, mega proud Nat, especially as all foods were just on the turn and close to being waste! Now, you have hearty nutritious meals 🍵🍵🍵all ready and waiting for after work, or lunch, for the whole week! Big thumbs up, especially as so nutritious and healthy. Well done Nat👍👏! My kinda cooking! Yeah I’d deffo leave out the meat of course, plus garleeky 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮😂😂😂😂😂but yeah can easily substitute with spelt, edamames, Chillis 🌶🌶🌶, aubergines 🍆🍆🍆, just about anything in fact works in soups 👍👍👍👍. Ah dead pleased for ya Nat 👍👍👏👏👏, and with the weather how it was, a great productive way to spend ya banky 👍👍👍
Great tip about the stock @NannyOgg 🆙

Ha thanks @Bev :D

Ah I love garlic!! Can never add enough... if the recipe says 1 clove that means you should put in 3 in my opinion ;))

With the rain today a nice warm soup seems like the best way forwards :checkmark:
Bev;10784:
Monsoon hail here with sunny spells in between, third day running now that I’ve got bleeding saturated, so spent a cosy afternoon doing cosy cooking.

Sadly, can’t claim this one to be my own, but it’s had a few tweaks, and makes for a mean hearty African stew (veggie of course)..........

AFRICAN STEW (VEGETARIAN)

Ingredients

Basmati rice
Rapeseed Oil 30 ml
Spring Onions (bunch of 8 to 10)
Green pepper
2 carrots, chopped
4 celery sticks
2 green chillis or 2 Jalapeno
Fresh ginger, approx 5cm square
15g Garam Masala
250g baby vine cherry tomatoes
2 bayleaves
2 Veg Oxo cubes to make 600ml stock
1 large potato, chopped
400g Edamame beans
30g peanut butter
Bag of fresh coriander
Half bag of baby spinach
black pepper

Method

Heat rapeseed oil in large pan.

Add chopped Springys, chopped green pepper, carrots and chopped celery and mix for 5 mins.

Add chopped chillis, finely chopped ginger, and Garam Masala to pan, and stir for 1 min.

Add baby tomatoes, halved. Put two bayleaves into your pan. Stir for three mins.

Make 600ml of boiling stock, and add to pan with chopped potato. Boil for 8 mins.

Add edamame soya beans (usually frozen from supermarkets) plus peanut butter.

Finely chop your fresh coriander and stir into pan with baby spinach leaves.

Add black pepper to taste.

Remove both bayleaves, and serve with cooked rice.

DELICIOUS

Tried out your African stew @Bev
It was delicious! And pretty simple to make (good instructions)

It got the thumbs up at our place. Had it for dinner yesterday evening (Sat) and leftovers for lunch today! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Sooooooooooooooo thrilled Marc 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏👏, looks really really good 👍👍👍, soooooo glad you enjoyed it! It’s such a tasty, nutritious meal! Ah, dead thrilled! Well done 👏👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This new little bad boy is beyond delicious😚! OMG I’m a fan of the marmite / peanut butter combo👍 by spreading layer of peanut butter followed by layer of marmite on top, but this little beauty is beyond perfect! Told myself I’d try a little tiny bit from jar; now sitting watching Wimby and can’t put it down! It’s soooooooo gorgeous! 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
​This little bad boy is insanely addictive 👆🙀🙀🙀🙀, OMG I have seriously eaten three quarters of a jar since last night, on life! It’s beyond absolute delicious, especially eaten straight from the jar, with 🍓🍓🍓🍓dipped in 😂🤣🙃😜, absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!!!!

If you like peanut butter, and you LOVE LOVE LOVE Marmite, do not hesitate to get a jar (or ten 😂😂😂😂😂) of this little bad boy, cos it’s truly gorgeous 😍😍😍😍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Bev
​If you're still able to communicate after a whole jar, can you tell us is it peanut butter with marmite, or marmite with peanut butter?

Bev;32865:
​This little bad boy is insanely addictive ������������������������������, OMG I have seriously eaten three quarters of a jar since last night, on life! It’s beyond absolute delicious, especially eaten straight from the jar, with ������������������������dipped in ������������������������, absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!!!!

If you like peanut butter, and you LOVE LOVE LOVE Marmite, do not hesitate to get a jar (or ten ������������������������������) of this little bad boy, cos it’s truly gorgeous ������������������������
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Well Wozeeta, it’s 87% peanuts and just 9.5% yeast extract, plus peanut oil. I read the ingreds and thought this is just going to be a hint of marmite and I’ll sooooo end up going back to making my own. WRONG!!!!! They have got the balance absolutely perfect! The intense marmite really comes through, and the crunchy peanuts are just mmmmmmmmmm! I truly can’t get enough of this stuff! Totally veggie of course. I am going to get some crudités to dip in, like 🥕🥕🥕batons and 🥒🥒🥒🥒sticks!
Bev;32889:
Well Wozeeta, it’s 87% peanuts and just 9.5% yeast extract, plus peanut oil. I read the ingreds and thought this is just going to be a hint of marmite and I’ll sooooo end up going back to making my own. WRONG!!!!! They have got the balance absolutely perfect! The intense marmite really comes through, and the crunchy peanuts are just mmmmmmmmmm! I truly can’t get enough of this stuff! Totally veggie of course. I am going to get some crudités to dip in, like ������������������batons and ������������������������sticks!

That sounds so good I'm almost wishing I liked marmite now... 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I believe this will actually convert some haters into lovers!
Bev;20484:
Pearl barley asparagus saffron risotto

Prep.......

Almost there......

Ready!

Now this one looks wonderful @Bev
Can you share the recipe or is it a secret?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
This is beyond spooky Marc! 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀👻

On life I came here to ask if anyone had heard they are re releasing the gorgeous Marmite XO, it’s a really strong matured version, but sadly discontinued ten years back. Being re released Tesco for six months, then if a hit, all supermarkets 👏👍, following demand from social media👍

I had a recipe that I’d made, using said XO but then had to start making it with standard marmite. Bugger me if it wasn’t this exact recipe you’ve just asked about 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀👍.

I cant remember if you are a Marmite lover 😍or hater🤮, but hopefully you may find a substitute if you don’t like the gorgeous stuff 😂.

PEARL BARLEY ASPARAGUS SAFFRON RISOTTO

Tablespoon Rapeseed Oil
Tin Chick Peas
Bunch Springy Onions
Bunch asparagus spears
1 Green Pepper
3 Chillis (2 green, 1 red, but adjust to 3 green if bit wimpy 😂)
200g Pearl Barley
1 teaspoon XO Marmite (use standard Marmite or 2 vegetable Oxo cubes if don’t like)
Small bottle of Pinot Gr white wine 🍸
Black Pepper
Jar of Saffron threads
Veggie Feta cheese
Parsley to garnish to taste

Heat oil in wok.
Add chopped Springy Onions, chopped 🌶🌶🌶and chopped green pepper. Stir.

Add 750ml boiling water to measuring jug.
Add saffron threads (all)
Stir in the Marmite or two crumbled Oxo cubes
Keep eye 👀on wok, turn down heat.

Add small bottle of wine (forgot the size, the small bottles for one person) to the wok.
Turn up heat to cook off the alcohol. Save tiny bit of wine to drink out the bottle whilst cooking 😂👍
Continue stirring.
Stir in Pearl Barley and drained chick peas (you can pre cook or microwave chicks first to soften, if prefer)
Add stock from measuring jug, ladle at a time, to slowly soften the barley. Do this at mid heat, and stir.

When all stock is almost absorbed, keep heat low to medium, and add chopped asparagus and black pepper.

Add plenty of cubed feta at the end, and garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!

Tiny tip - I actually prefer this the following day, once flavours have absorbed more, and reheated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
My apologies. I have missed off the edamames!

Add those with half a tin of chicks if you prefer, otherwise a whole tin of chick peas 👍
Fantastic, thanks @Bev
Gonna try this one soon hopefully :p
Got any more favs? Ones with lots of veg and beans ideally! ;))
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
The Gazpacho recipe on page one is good for these balmy eves and not blended either, so easy to prepare. Picture on page two also.

Another fave is the veggie paella. I posted pic of this on page two also, but didn’t include recipe. This is really tasty too.........

Veggie Paella

• 1.2 litres of vegetable stock
  • Black pepper to season
  • 340g Paella Rice
  • 200g Edamame Beans
  • Tin of Chick Peas
  • 2 Fresh lemons
  • 220g cherry Tomatoes
  • Jar of Saffron threads
  • Rapeseed Oil
  • Bag of Spring Onions
  • Red Pepper
  • Green Pepper
  • Yellow Pepper
  • Red Chilli
  • Green Chilli
  • Four teaspoons of Smoked Paprika
  • ​fresh parsley

Heat approx four tablespoons oil in a wok.

Stirfry the chopped Spring onions with the three chopped peppers for five minutes.

Add the two chillis, smoked paprika, and jar of saffron, and cook for a further two mins, adding more oil on top if needed.

Chop the tomatoes in halves, and add to the wok.

Add all the stock and chick peas, then season well with black pepper to taste.

Bring to the boil, then simmer for ten mins, uncovered.

Stir in the rice, then bring back to the boil. The rice will rapidly absorb the stock.

Add in the edamame beans and simmer until rice and chicks are tender. (About 20 mins). Add more stock if needed.

Remove wok from hob, cover with lid or tea towel. Leave to stand for ten mins to allow steam to cook.

Serve the paella with lemon wedges, for squeezing over each dish. Garnish with parsley.