Items you couldn't live without

• 11 January 2021
  • 20 replies

Hi everyone, 

Yesterday our kettle decided to pack it in with a bang - the heating element went and blew the fuse with it. 

With two of us working from home, this has proved to be a disaster. We’ve gone back to heating the water over the hob, which is of course more time consuming (+ uses more energy), and has led to a drastic reduction in today’s caffeine intake (being slightly melodramatic here I know :grin: ). 

It’s made me realise that a kettle is definitely an absolute must for us.

That got me thinking, what day-to-day items could you absolutely not live without? :thinking:

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I hope it changes to red when the water boils..

Very clever @woz 👍👍👍

Teehee. Had a real good cuppa this afternoon. There were no lights and disappointingly I had to make it myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How long before the colour changes back? 1°C, 5°C, 10°C? Could be important for a good cuppa...

@25 quid

Alexa (or siri) set my kettle to blue at 90 degrees, →upload to a Chinese server and it will send your perfect cuppa settings directly to your wifi enabled kettle (which is probably having a chat with the fridge to see if you have enough milk)…

Unfortunately there are some who would actually embrace that technology. That said a fine tweak knob to prevent overboiling wouldn’t go amiss.

(Disclaimer, anything with built in lighting is more exciting)

Whilst I appreciate your question is about physical none human items, like walking in your local area, it is not defined, I can argue a human is an item! Thus stretching it further a gentleman I visit with advanced dementia, if I asked him that question and faculties functioned, his answer would be “my Wife.”

How long before the colour changes back? 1°C, 5°C, 10°C? Could be important for a good cuppa...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I hope it changes to red when the water boils..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Nataly my friend has just received this as a gift

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

LOL but in all seriousness, an excellent deterrent 👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Seemed topical and appropriate. 

Maybe a light switch could be another essential item. Although, as I’ve been adding more automation to my house, maybe Siri and some clever schedules could make the light switch redundant. 

Alternate light switch?

My latest trick is an away mode that activates if the house is empty after dark. It switches lights on and off at random @Bev to make it look like I’m doing laps round my hall to get my step count up!

Probably doesn’t help my electricity bill though… 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good one, 25 notes 👏👍

In fact, there’s soooooooooo many things that we should never take for granted. The simplest of things are always those we rely upon the most.

...my electricity supply. 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G4RHL that's more or less what I thought we would have to do.

@Nataly yes, did handwashing for about 10 days before new one arrived.   You're right it's definitely not the same.  Scratchy undies 👙 😊😊😊

During lockdown would probably have to say a corkscrew ;) :wine_glass:

:joy:  I don’t think you’re alone in that line of thinking! That’s a good one, for sure. 

Our washing machine broke at the beginning of lockdown.  Couldn't get anyone to repair it.  Hubby tried to fix it.    Hand washing was exhausting and no spin facility.  Reluctantly ended up buying a new one.  

Oh no @Scubaseahorse! That really is a pain! How frustrating - definitely a “can’t live without” item there. Glad you managed to source a new one though, as I’ve heard of lots of delays in deliveries/ very low stock of white goods recently.

Whenever I used to be travelling abroad, trying to handwash clothes in a tiny sink with travel wash was a complete pain and took forever, and they always dried out very starchy (though I'd accept that to be able to go abroad again:innocent: ), so you have my complete sympathy! 

@Nataly Mission critical life support ...

Asda do a kettle under £10  (there's an even cheaper one at £5.50 but the first one is better)

Thank you @woz for the support :laughing:

Don’t worry, folks, after a quick trip to Sainsburys (closer than our local Asda @woz!) the new kettle is settling in nicely this morning by providing us with much needed coffee. 

Ft. me waving in a very elongated reflection :D

Our washing machine broke at the beginning of lockdown.  Couldn't get anyone to repair it.  Hubby tried to fix it.    Hand washing was exhausting and no spin facility.  Reluctantly ended up buying a new one.  

You could always get a poss, stick and mangle!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Badge +3

@Nataly Now that got me thinking 🤔 😕 😅 

Actually at this time of year if the boiler went we'd be a bit stuck.  !!

During lockdown would probably have to say a corkscrew ;) :wine_glass:

Badge +2

@Nataly Now that got me thinking 🤔 😕 😅 

Actually at this time of year if the boiler went we'd be a bit stuck.  !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Nataly Mission critical life support ...

Asda do a kettle under £10  (there's an even cheaper one at £5.50 but the first one is better)

For that price you can have a spare.

I think it has a 2 year g’tee not sure..

(Before anyone mentions landfill, even the much more expensive kettles aren't worth repairing unless you can do it yourself so it’s actually better to use something that’s consumed less resources in the first place if they last the same amount of time. I’ve seen no evidence to suggest dearer kettles last longer)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Know what you mean Nat, and luckily Curry’s literally two minute walk away, when that has ever happened in the past.

I’d say, without a doubt, my Mira 🚿. Truly love it thru summer to cool down, truly love it thru winter and especially during this pandemic. Godsend. 

Think I use my wok almost daily so, altho I could live without it at a push, it is so my favourite way of cooking. 

Hope you get a replacement kettle sorted fast 👍☕️