Is technology 'too clever' for our own good?

Morning, as some of you may be aware, I recently got a new washing machine.

Yesterday, I discovered reading the deepest, darkest, recesses of the manual, that my washing machine can give me wonderful information, including:

How much water it used the last wash cycle.
How much electricity it used the last wash cycle.

How much water it’s used in total.
How much electricity it’s used in total.

Now if only I knew what to do with this information, I’d be getting somewhere.

12 replies

Hey @Gwyndy 

Quick question. Does the elec usage show stand-by time separate to when it’s actually washing? That could be good info? 

Hey @Gwyndy 

Quick question. Does the elec usage show stand-by time separate to when it’s actually washing? That could be good info? 

Ooh, I don’t know, there’s a good question.

I’ve never left it in stand-by yet (there’s a warning in the manual that it will use more power if you connect to Wi-Fi and control via the app.)

Later on I will try and connect it to the Wi-Fi network and see what happens when I try to use the app.

It’s a good question though. I think tech often prob is. I have a wifi printer which causes me no end of grief. A cable would fix it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Gwyndy I feel a spreadsheet coming on for every combination of wash cycle…

(a dirty spread sheet of course)

Okay, in addition to previous comment.

My washing machine and mobile phone just guided me through connecting them without even needing to read the manual - I swear there’s an artificial intelligence trying to make us overly reliant.

I can’t tell you any more, as my phone now informs me that I have to ‘close the settings menu on the appliance’ and perform a ‘module update to Firmware 03.82.’

I wonder if you’ll get comments about the laundry items it senses..? 

Smelly socks! Dirty knees. Clean shirt?

This is what the app tells me after it starts, before it starts it shows me:

Electricity usage in ‘plugs’

Water usage in ‘droplets’.

Plugs. Must be an SI-derived unit.

Things that bring joy: I love the fact that they are using correct capitalisation for their other units. kg, kWh and l (𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁’𝘀 𝗮𝗻 𝗹 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗻 𝗜) have never looked so good! Must be German…

Not to mention the Golden Arches at the top of your screen. MaccyDees on tap!! 🍔🍟

Not to mention the Golden Arches at the top of your screen. MaccyDees on tap!! 🍔🍟

My friend’s daughter, lovely angel that she is, eats a very restricted diet, composed mainly of McDonald’s chicken nuggets.
I hadn’t been near a McDonald’s for years until I met her. Lockdown was a nightmare, because she got fed up with all her other food options (Chocolate Hooplas, Crumpets, Roast Chicken Dinner.) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

My friend’s daughter, lovely angel that she is, eats a very restricted diet, composed mainly of McDonald’s chicken nuggets.
I hadn’t been near a McDonald’s for years until I met her. Lockdown was a nightmare, because she got fed up with all her other food options (Chocolate Hooplas, Crumpets, Roast Chicken Dinner.) 

I think someone died not long ago from insisting on  a similar diet….

Sounds like she needs a rinse cycle and fast spin...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I can't see the point of WiFi washing machines operated by app, unless the app will load/unload the laundry for you. It will use as much water and electricity as necessary, why do you need to know.

Knowledge is power!

8 replies to go. Then we’ll see! 😝