International Women's Day 2021 - celebrating the women who inspire you

Hi everyone, 

Here at Pure Planet we’ve been talking about the upcoming International Women’s Day (Monday 8 March) - reflecting on our experiences of women who have inspired us when growing up, who inspire us now, and even of women who may have been overlooked but who have left a lasting impact on us. 

We’d love to hear your thoughts and stories, to chat about and celebrate the women that mean something to you. 

This really can be anyone, so to help kick things off I wanted to share a few of mine. :relaxed:  

In my personal life, it’d have to be our Nonna who came from Italy to Glasgow as a newlywed 18-year-old, without a word of English (or Scottish for that matter, which is entirely more difficult to learn :wink: ). She’s long been the matriarch of the family, and even though she’s well into her 90’s now she’s as sharp as ever.

Turning to the public eye, it’d be hard not to think of Greta Thunberg. She’s become an icon for taking action against climate change, and hasn’t backed away from challenging global leaders. Inspiring not only her own generation but also those older than her can’t be easy! :earth_americas:  

More info about International Women’s Day is available here if you’d like to read more.

Share about the women who’ve inspired you in the replies below.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, a super read Nat, re your nonna bless 💕, what a strong lady, gorgeous words, and then Greti bless 🤣👍. adored her docu, it’s still on iplayer but it didn’t get as much publicity as it deserved, sadly, Hard to think of specific individuals. My nan for sure, but famous people, more tricky. 

My late maternal nan 💕lived until a month before her 91st birthday. Everyone always says I have her genes, and her strong traits and independence. We always loved the exact same things, even typing this  brings every wonderful memory back. I think those nearest to us are more inspirational than we ever realise, growing up. It’s easier to see, with hindsight, what a major part they play. For that, I feel truly blessed. 

Of course there’s other family members, but as it’s about women, my nan was my obvious choice. 

Public icons? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔If had to think of someone in the public eye, that has inspired me, altho not someone I admired for what she did as such, I strongly admire Teresa May for every single thing she managed to achieve whilst living with Type One Diabetes. Living daily with the condition, is only realised by those living with it, it’s deffo strongly understated, so how she managed all she did, is truly truly remarkable. I still, today, think of her doing all she did with such a condition. She certainly inspires me daily with regard to long term health. 

Badge +2

My grandmothers were strong women, resourceful, patient, hard working, proud, kind, generous and loving.  Above all they adored their grandchildren and to feel that love was everything. I miss their wisdom, kindness and their wonderful stories but treasure the precious gifts they left with me.  Not material things but the courage to be the best I can. Live the best life, waste not a single day, care and give back. Laugh till it hurts, don't sweat the small stuff and love true.

I know not everyone is lucky enough to have known their grandmothers. I was very fortunate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, goose bumps reading that, Jo 💕. So agree re not the material things, but gifts that live on in us from them. Truly precious. 

There was another thread yesterday and I mentioned my nans era, spookily. I truly believe our grandparents lived in a lovely time. They had a lot less, but that made for a simpler life, and kind, warm individuals. To inherit even half of their traits, is a blessing 💕. Those strong foundations are in us forever and, like you Jo, feel extremely fortunate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It’s quite lovely that all three of us have chosen our nans 💕💕💕

If had to think of someone in the public eye, that has inspired me, altho not someone I admired for what she did as such, I strongly admire Teresa May for every single thing she managed to achieve whilst living with Type One Diabetes. 

Hey @Bev, this is really interesting, I didn’t realise this! I think that really highlights the importance of people seeing themselves represented by those who are in the public eye :slight_smile:. That’s definitely a really good example of inspiration! 

I miss their wisdom, kindness and their wonderful stories but treasure the precious gifts they left with me.  Not material things but the courage to be the best I can. Live the best life, waste not a single day, care and give back. Laugh till it hurts, don't sweat the small stuff and love true.

Beautiful sentiment @LUCKY JO :heart_eyes: . Those are some fantastic words to live by - thank you for sharing that here in the Community for others to read. 

Interesting that it’s female family members who’ve had a lasting impact! 

@Bev thinking of more inspiring women, though maybe I don’t love all their work (taking your earlier example!) is musician Lizzo. To be really honest I’m not a huge fan of all her music, but she’s a fantastic example of being yourself and believing in yourself, even in a tricky (and often judgemental) industry. :raised_hands:

Another one has to be Jane Fonda, who’s still making waves - more recently in the world of sustainability, too, with no sign of slowing down. :smiley:

Badge +2

Just to add......if you have a nan, grandmother,  nanny, gran, granny....ring her now 💞💞💞

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Todays the day peeps 👍🥂🎉🎉🎉

Todays the day peeps 👍🥂🎉🎉🎉

Indeed it is @Angelabikerbabe 

I’m going to have to join in with the love for grandmothers.

My grandmother was amazing, too. She never stopped giving to others. Even when she was in her late 80s she was still organising ‘meals on wheels’ for others.

During my teenage angst years she was always the person I’d go to when I needed help. 

She lived until the grand age of 102, and was still laughing and telling stories a few months before she went. My fav story of hers - not really sure it was true - was when she played a game of tennis against Noel Coward on the deck of a battleship. To be fair I think she might have confused memories with dreams and a TV show, but whatever. :hugging:

I’m not one for spritual woo-woo, but I note her presence near me quite a lot, still. Standing to my left, a few yards behind me, approving (and sometimes tut-tutting). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

102 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀, that is some age, Marc 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Love the tennis tale, whether it be true or not! Wonderful! 

Love even more the presence you feel. Sooooooooo true. Whether they’re watching down, or spiritually around us, it helps a lot, it’s very comforting 👍. Lovely, Marc 

An interesting collection of photos from International Women’s Day around the world available here :relaxed:

My social media is filled with posts celebrating women in all sorts of ways and for many different reasons today, it’s been really heartwarming to read everyone’s stories and dedications to the women who have inspired them :clap: