How to carve a pumpkin?

• 18 October 2019
  • 21 replies

Hello folks,

It's been pretty hard to avoid all the ma-hoosive pumpkins in the shops these past few weeks... It's almost as if Halloween is only 2 weeks away.:rolleyes:

I'm off to a local farm on the weekend to visit their pumpkin patch (and farm-shop cafe) to pick out a pumpkin or 2 for carving.

It's a great way to support local farmers, as they can get a real income boost from seasonal events such as pumpkin picking! While also being quite a nice way to spend the day:).

There's only one issue - how do you actually carve a pumpkin?πŸ˜‚

Anyone have any tips or photos from past attempts?

We're also planning on saving the pumpkin seeds to toast as a snack, and any fleshy bits for roasting to use in a soup or some baking, to avoid food waste!
Any tips on utilising and cooking with a whole pumpkin would be greatly appreciated!:D

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
My plan was to try carve a πŸŽƒthis year, for the first time ever! Keep seeing em in the supermarkets Nat, and think why not? I’ll see how it goes!

​Bet your pumpkin patch visit will be perfect πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽƒ
Badge +2
My pictures don't actually do my creations justice! But I've been pretty happy with Darth Maul and Boba Fett (Star Wars) pumpkins in previous years. Carve out the inside then use a stencil on the outside. I use a small knife and screw drivers!

I tried pumpkin soup last year - not bad. I enjoyed the roasted pumpkin seeds though. Nice snack!
@Jowl OK your pumpkins sound a lot more ambitious than what we did!πŸ˜‚ Star Wars themed is pretty impressive..

Here's some pics from our day :)

These are the three we chose -

And this is how they turned out!:D

It was a great day out at the farm, carving them was easier than we thought! We used steak knives to carve which seemed to work well, and made sure none of the pumpkin went to waste by cooking up all the insides (recipes to follow, @Bev ;))

I really recommend it!
@Jowl any tips on the pumpkin soup? I still have some of the flesh left to use πŸ†™
Badge +2
They look fab @Nataly

I'll ask the wife on the pumpkin soup - I was more into eating out bounty at that point 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
You’ve carved them fantastically Nat πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽƒ! Very very impressed. I’ve never ever done one, will try hard to get one this year and try carving πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
@Bev it really is a lot easier than I thought (especially if you get a smaller pumpkin!)

We just used a big spoon to scrape out the insides and it worked a treat πŸŽƒ
Nice pumpkin πŸŽƒ
Badge +2
Nataly;40776:

@Jowl any tips on the pumpkin soup? I still have some of the flesh left to use πŸ†™

So asked her who must be obeyed about the pumpkin soup. In addition to the pumpkin insides, they added flavourings such as paprika, maple syrup, salt pepper. I'd say add your own flavouring to your tastes 🙂
@Jowl hmm maple syrup sounds interesting! I'll give it a goπŸ˜ƒ thanks! (this could be a disaster...)
Badge +2
Wife made pumpkin soup tonight.... I'm gonna stick with Tomato I think!!

The roasted pumpkins seeds are beautiful though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jowl;41177:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Jowl;41177:

The roasted pumpkins seeds are beautiful though.

Owch!🀣 Is it Heinz tinned all the way?

I had more pumpkin seeds this weekend, they're so addictive!

My brother also made a delicious pumpkin and pancetta pasta 😎

Pumpkins are now outside the front door ready for Halloween on Thursday!
Badge +2
Pumpkin seeds are great tbh. I hope we have some left
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
My first ever attempt at πŸŽƒcarving, and total disaaaaaaarrrrrrrster darling as mine has a broken jaw πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Žbut kinda salvaged it to a degree (just!). Thoroughly enjoyed carving it tho πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Then I roasted the pumpkin seeds for lunch in chilli saltπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. They were a big hit πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Then prepared πŸ₯•πŸ₯•πŸ₯•and πŸŽƒsoup, with half the flesh and stringy pulp! Kitchen smelt spicy magical πŸ§™*♀️all day! Loved it! Pleased to say, soup was much much much more of a success than the carving! Absolutely delicious! Sooooooooo spicy and warming, and plenty left in the cauldron for Thursday πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ§™*β™€οΈπŸ‘»πŸ‘. Once Halloween’s over, I shall make pumpkin pasta 🍝with the remaining flesh πŸ‘πŸŽƒπŸ§™*♀️πŸ”ͺπŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Tried all night to attach photos but keeps crashing so I’m really frustrated now, so post pics tomoz hopefully!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
​​​​​​​
Amazing @Bev!!

I actaully think the pumpkin looks really cool like that - it's like a skull jaw πŸ’€, very Halloween-y!

And that soup looks delicious tooπŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ah thank you!!! πŸ˜ŠπŸ™ƒ Guess not bad for a first attempt, and did think same re skull πŸ’€πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Happy Halloween folksπŸŽƒπŸ‘»