How big is yours?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 8961 replies

Poll time

Don’t get too excited, your main TV screen is the subject here!

Tell us why you chose the size you did? Is it big enough or do you regret not going for something bigger or perhaps your other half thinks it’s too big?

Do you ever think about how much energy it’s using?

Do you have another smaller set that you leave on while you’re in the kitchen?

(the sizes in the poll are in ranges. TV screens do tend to come in standard sizes, just pick the range that’s closest)

What size is your main TV screen? (measure the diagonal in inches)

86 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Lovely 55” our Wozeeta, and perfect size. Erected on wall, and absolutely love it. Saves so much space on wall. Knew be way too big if had it standing. 

Also got a 32” on bedroom wall. This is ample size for bedroom, and used very very rarely, but spookily used it yesterday eve for the first time in ages! I was thinking if I DID ever get a replacement, I’d get the smart TV but don’t really feel the need at moment, nor do I want stress of connecting all up to hub etc. Hopefully in the future, all devices will simply work without all these connections. Just plug in and go. 

No, never think of energy use, and never left on standby. Watch what I really want to watch then it’s turned fully off. Never on in bg for the sake of bg noise. 

Superb polly our Wozeeta 👍🖥📺👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Bev 

Please have a word with my daughter, she's away at the moment and I went into her room to open the window,, the amount of lights coming from stuff on standby was like looking into the  sky in a clear night. No wonder my bills are so high

At least they weren’t all just left on @Duppy! 😉 

@Bev, just hook an AppleTV up to your telly to smartify it. My giant Plasma keeps the room lovely and warm and is utterly dumb without its smart companion. I think I’ve posted some of my repair successes with it previously. 

@woz I don’t have a big one. 48 inches I think. Had it 3 years. Not wall mounted - every time I have seen one of those I find it uncomfortable to watch looking up all the time although I accept you can mount it eye level when sitting down. Don’t use its bells and whistles. Rarely if ever record anything. I know I should not leave it on standby but I do except when we go away and then it is unplugged to protect from lightening bolts. (Some years back a relative’s TV blew up when lightning hit her chimney, not the aerial and it took a likening for heading toward the plugged in TV on standby - boom!)

No other. Did have a small one. Tried in the bedroom but it was never on so gave it away. I suppose if did want to watch something in bed I can use my iPad. I wouldn’t stay awake though. Deep sleep usually within a few minutes! Even the smoke alarm has been known not to wake me!

Having said all this, if I had the funds I probably would go for a better TV that integrates more with my Apple gear. But there often is not much on worth watching unless in vegetable mode so is it worth it?

Ancient (circa 2009) 42” Panasonic Plasma in the bedroom
Ancient (also circa 2009) 37” Panasonic LED in the computer/craft room.
Tried using AppleTV to ‘smartify’ them, (they both have built in CAT5, but no ‘apps’ as such) but the NowTV app doesn’t work, so it’s not any use to me, at some point I will have to bite the bullet and buy Roku sticks/boxes.

When they expire, then I guess we’ll go bigger, but until then we see no point. The bedroom one stays on standby (0.4w to 32w depending on whether monitor out recording is switched on), as there’s no way Kate could get to it to switch it on.

Badge +3

55” wall mounted. And no cables! I took down half the plaster boards and re routed all power cables and added in data cables. It was worth the effort. 
the trick is to Mount it at a comfortable height. Those who place it above a fireplace must have cricks in their necks!

I could probably get away with 65” but I thought it might be a little too large. I’d like to go for a OLED model next. When we buy a new Tv (I’m trying to kick the habit) others get shuffled around to play room / kids rooms. Daughter doesn’t have one yet and I think she’s ready for one now. 

yea that’s me talking myself into another TV 😂

My son has a 90 inch TV on his wall. But he is registered blind! He sits inches from it to see it!

Personally, if I changed I may wall mount but out it at eye height looking straight at it from sitting down. Not going to happen though. Too much objection from somebody I live with!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@G4RHL 

I feel your pain

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We have a 42" TV.. 

We had a 50" for a while, but it was too big for where we were sitting in front of it, and couldn't sit any further back, so went down to a 42" 👍

Nice poll @woz Are you in the market for a new TV?

I’ve got a Samsung 48” and it’s fine. Got it connected to a Google dongle thingy for my iPlayer/Prime/Apple/Spotify/YouTube/Netflix gubbins. (I used to have an Apple TV connected but the remote is awful. Rarely works, always getting lost, for some reason always ends up pointing the wrong way even if I can find it, takes silly battery types).

I’ve got the TV standing on a chest. I’m not keen on wall mounted ones ‘cos I’m paranoid it’ll fall off - which prob says more about my DIY ‘skills’ than anything else….) It’s about 8 years old and I’m not planning on replacing it for at least another 8 years!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

"Google dongle thingy"....that's what I call them too 🤣 @Marc 👍

@Marc The latest Apple TV remote is better, much better. I agree the previous one is dreadful. But you can use your phone instead of the remote and in many ways it is better. It’s an app to download. 

Agreed about the AppleTV remote. Modern set ups don’t even need to download an app. Add a handy controller to Control Centre in iOS! 😊 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/tv/atvb701cadc1/tvos

Plus the new remote is bigger, thicker and has a right way up and easier to use clicky directional buttons. Plus it and its recent ancestors, are rechargeable.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/20/18277449/apple-tv-remote-new-design-4k-features-price-release-date

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice poll @woz Are you in the market for a new TV?

I’ve got a Samsung 48” and it’s fine. Got it connected to a Google dongle thingy for my iPlayer/Prime/Apple/Spotify/YouTube/Netflix gubbins. (I used to have an Apple TV connected but the remote is awful. Rarely works, always getting lost, for some reason always ends up pointing the wrong way even if I can find it, takes silly battery types).

I’ve got the TV standing on a chest. I’m not keen on wall mounted ones ‘cos I’m paranoid it’ll fall off - which prob says more about my DIY ‘skills’ than anything else….) It’s about 8 years old and I’m not planning on replacing it for at least another 8 years!

haha, I’m not in the market for a new TV unless it’s a 77” OLED and I win the lootery (sic)

20 years ago a 32” TV was big

I was thinking about led efficiency and screens (as you do)

(and I wonder if people realise how much energy their TV uses.)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/961283/united-states-average-tv-screen-size/

…the 8 inch black & white CRT TVs! When colour came you had to rent them

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

…the 8 inch black & white CRT TVs! When colour came you had to rent them

@G4RHL eight inch! I don’t think so (I’m not saying there weren’t any but it certainly wasn’t a common size). 12” 15” perhaps with 405 line

The common 625 line monochrome sizes were 17” 19” and subsequently 24”(smaller for 405 lines)

It was an 8 inch job. Pride and joy of my friend’s father. He stuck a big magnifying glass on a stand in front of it so everybody could see it better. Here’s one

https://picclick.com/Sony-TV-970-Black-and-White-TV-8-inch-323433751822.html

You could also get 9” & 10”

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL Yes I knew those existed but they weren’t usually bought as the main TV, the same way that the 13” and 14” portable became the staple portable  colour TV size later on.

Do you remember the pocket Sony Watchman which had a crt? was it 2” I can’t remember..  (or how to steer electrons through 90 degrees)

Think it was 2 inches.

Do you remember the pocket Sony Watchman which had a crt? was it 2” I can’t remember..  (or how to steer electrons through 90 degrees)

It’s worse than that some did 100° deflection. 

https://www.pctechguide.com/crt-monitors/the-different-types-of-crt-monitors-from-shortneck-to-fst

@Marc The latest Apple TV remote is better, much better. I agree the previous one is dreadful. But you can use your phone instead of the remote and in many ways it is better. It’s an app to download. 

So I hear @G4RHL but £169 better? I can think of lots of other things I’d rather spend £169 on! :laughing:

Have to disagree with you on the phone app. It’s terrible. So slow, always losing connectivity. And (this is perhaps just me) if I’m watching a film I don’t want my phone anywhere near me…. otherwise I’m too likely to be checking emails/messages and whatnot.

@marc Don’t  use the phone app, use the provision in Control Centre as has been mentioned elsewhere.

Cheaper refurb deals are available, but it’s a tough price to justify @Marc.

I have the £119 one and it’s the only way I watch any TV, including live stuff (BBC is perfect and so convenient. ITV, C4 & Channel 5 are low quality and clunky). 

Well this is a very useful thread @woz as we’re thinking of investing in a TV later this year (as a joint birthday present to each other)… currently, we have an old Samsung - it’s good, because it more or less works. Buuut it’s a bit fuzzy. :joy:

We were thinking of getting a 48” so that it doesn’t take up too much room, but is big enough to enjoy sports on. :grin:  Hopefully it’ll actually be more energy efficient than the old one. We’ll see! 

Mine is a 48” Sony and no real issues. It could be more smart than it is. I went for this as it was one of the few at the time that did not need a separate satellite box to connect the satellite aerial. Although, whilst it is connected we never watch satellite TV! But its there if needed. It has two satellite connections for I think most aerials now have a dual feed. I think, but not sure the Samsungs are more Smart featured than others but not sure. I am certain some on here can step in with observations and recommendations.

When choosing, as well as the satellite connection, look for something that has a neat cable arrangement. Some have a spiders web of cables coming out of them. I suppose the answer to that is I mount it on the wall and chase in the cables, plastering over and painting. But then I am sure the peace in the household may be disturbed!