Healthy bodies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 5089 replies
Health and well-being! A thread to discuss, share, ask a question, listen, or just read.

Anything at all, health related or exercise related, maybe dietary or vitamin related. This is the thread!

It’s all for fun remember, no ones claiming to be a medical professional, but often little things can open up a big discussion, with lots of advice and tips.

Sometimes, you might just want to chat about a little niggle with others, or be proud of a health recovery or appointment. Anything at all really.

Something you want to share maybe, maybe you have overcome a trauma or illness.

From a little sniffle 😤to major surgery 💉🔪, to long term health conditions, just feel free to discuss here.

Light hearted and fun, but a place to ask away!

71 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just doing my leg elevations and exercises. Tree trunks haven’t turned into twigs yet 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not that easy for me as I’m type 1 but did manage it, but it’s not advisable for me to do it regularly, just now and then. Glad I did it tho. LOL our Jonny 😂😂😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not eat for a day...... like thats ever going to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Try it two days per week but not consecutive. It is not difficult at all to go without food for 24 hours. For those working perhaps not advisable on a Monday. Try it Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not of course every week. Drink lots of water and add one of those capsules gym goers add to their water to keep the mineral levels reasonable. It’s an easy way to lose weight. Provided of course you don’t binge on the eating days! Not eating for a day is a very easy thing to do. Less complicated than trying to decide what are the right things to eat. And one assumes beneficial giving the body time to clear out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I rarely ever fast but today sooooooooo hot so last night I decided I would. Just reached 24 hrs of fasting 👏👏👏👍👍👍👍, proud and drank almost 3 litres water so far 💦💦💦💦. Surprisingly not even hungry but that’s normal for me when this hot, so glad I did it today 👏👏👏👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

These two recipe books turned up yesterday evening.

My new recipe books

I’ve returned to eating only plant-based food, and sticking with wholemeal ingredients, no added oils or fats or anything processed.

A lot of people have advised it’ll really help my back ‘issues’ as it’s naturally anti-inflammatory. Plus all round good for us. :relaxed:

I’m making sure I take a daily vitamin B12 supplement. I think that’s the only really important one totally missing from what’s ultimately a vegan diet. 

I will post progress and maybe some recipes! I know it’s not for everyone, but anyone interested in this, I recommend the Forks Over Knives website. Fascinating stuff!

That will generate lots of wind!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great thread @Bev🆙
OK, I have a question.
I need to shift a few pounds, and I'm not really into gyms or running due to a slightly dodgy back.
People talk about walking 10k steps a day, which I can see as being healthy. But will it work with weight loss?

I am dubious Marc that walking will itself remove much weight unless you can do it such that it ups your heart rate. A rough average walking speed is a little over 3 miles per hour. My heart rate barely goes up. Yesterday for example, out for a walk with my wife it averaged 81 bpm. Currently typing this it’s  around 55 bpm and probably will drop below that shortly. Resting rate is often below 50 bpm.  

According to the usual method of calculation my peak heart rate is apparently 146 bpm. I swim each day, at last now the pool is open, and in the 30 minutes it averages 144 bpm! I understand that if I wanted weight loss then I need to swim slower and get the average to 116.80 bpm. I’d get bored swimming slowly. It’s boring anyway going up and down!

Walking outside with Mother Nature will certainly help general fitness and indeed mental fitness. Some yoga exercises will help suppleness and depending on intensity provide some cardio exercise.

Have a look at the Sun Salutation series of exercise. Easy to do, they benefit your joints and your back. They can be done slowly but also more quickly thus giving you some cardio workout.

Of course there is always what you eat and drink!

R

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sometimes a multivitamin can work well. If you think you’re doing everything right, and nothings really changed re diet, exercise, mindfulness etc, it can be a mystery as to why you are in pain or not feeling 100%.

I personally think, when you try hard to eat well and stay healthy, but it still feels like the cogs are not all turning like they should be, vitamins can sometimes realign things and get things flowing slightly more smoothly.

May take time, might mean a headache 🤕or nausea till you see what works, but I think I can work with them, and fine tune my body 👍

Just saying 😂😂😂😂😂👍

PS Great search function on this new platty 👍👍👍👏👏👏

Just ensure you get plenty of exercise and eat properly. Unless you have some serious deficiencies I am sure vitamin supplements are not necessary. At least not for the majority of the population. The only pills I take are those prescribed to be taken daily. There was one supplement I used to take to strengthen my nails - ‘cause I need longer nails on my right hand and found they were always tearing or breaking, but then realised it was more likely pool chemicals when I go swimming. Problem reduced, not solved entirely by regularly rubbing in a cream called “Horse’s Hoof” which is mainly lanolin! And by lightly filing the tips to ensure no tears are developing. I did try nail varnish once but it dried them out. I stress it was a clear matt varnish and not a bright pink!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Another thing I’m quite strong about, is if facing imminent surgery or treatment, or simply an appointment about something, avoid google!!!!!!!! It’s soooooooo tempting to look stuff up, and see others views or experiences, BUT every individual is individual! What is a nightmare for one, may be a breeze in the park for another.

Go into an operation, or treatment, with a little bit of knowledge, ideally from your face to face questions with consultant / surgeon / GP etc, but don’t over egg the pudding. Just a positive mindset is really all you need. Others experiences, even if they mean well, can often be a real hindrance.

Nar. I looked up what I had way back last year. Looked at the prognosis and what to do. Then saw doctor whose opening question was “What can I do for you?” To which my reply was “I have an inguinal hernia” and away we went from there after she had had a grope around to confirm. Ultimately booked in one day the end of a February to be carved open and job put right.

It never gives any anxieties looking  up and researching what a problem might be. I find it better to be informed when then seeing the doctor for (a) you better understand the advice being given and (b) have a good idea if he or she is missing something, which does happen more often than one would expect. However, keep the knowledge assimilated to oneself and do not be an awkward patient who knows it all!

I know many say don’t look anything up but it is of great benefit if you do provided you understand what you are reading, you balance it properly and don’t let it cause unnecessary concern. I am quite sure that if I had something wrong and research indicated something serious it actually would not overly concern me. These things happen. It’s life. I would simply book in to get the issue looked at professionally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wow Marc 🙀👍👏👏👏, no oils at all?! Definitely keep us updated on your progress, and especially whether it helps your back 👍

These two recipe books turned up yesterday evening.

My new recipe books

I’ve returned to eating only plant-based food, and sticking with wholemeal ingredients, no added oils or fats or anything processed.

A lot of people have advised it’ll really help my back ‘issues’ as it’s naturally anti-inflammatory. Plus all round good for us. :relaxed:

I’m making sure I take a daily vitamin B12 supplement. I think that’s the only really important one totally missing from what’s ultimately a vegan diet. 

I will post progress and maybe some recipes! I know it’s not for everyone, but anyone interested in this, I recommend the Forks Over Knives website. Fascinating stuff!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Absolutely our Marc🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

You would seriously not know this was Adele! 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Seven stone weight loss! 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Didnt recognise! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Beyond amazing! 

Really? Is that Adele on the right @Bev ???????

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂, certainly gives us all hope tho, our 25 notes

I thought it was you in the picture @Bev! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You would seriously not know this was Adele! 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Seven stone weight loss! 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Didnt recognise! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Beyond amazing! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sometimes nails get infected / bruised. This stems from a roller blades 12 hour marathon we did at school. Came back with such bruised (but painfree) toes, aged 16.  

Never ever fully cleared and not infectious, just fails to grow back normally.

Tempted to use that Schol fungal nail stuff, but consultant assures me it’s NOT an infection just trauma from the boots. 

All these years on, just wish it would heal itself ☹️👣

Minger

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sometimes a multivitamin can work well. If you think you’re doing everything right, and nothings really changed re diet, exercise, mindfulness etc, it can be a mystery as to why you are in pain or not feeling 100%.

I personally think, when you try hard to eat well and stay healthy, but it still feels like the cogs are not all turning like they should be, vitamins can sometimes realign things and get things flowing slightly more smoothly.

May take time, might mean a headache 🤕or nausea till you see what works, but I think I can work with them, and fine tune my body 👍

Just saying 😂😂😂😂😂👍

PS Great search function on this new platty 👍👍👍👏👏👏

Bev;47124:
BUT this Kombucha stuff Nat came out sooooooooo well re helping guts, I adore my kefir but very expensive but worth it IMO.

I haven't been brave enough to try Kombucha yet... 😁 will let you know if/when I take the plunge 🤣
Ouch! Expensive, but you're worth in @Marc, get tweeting!
Marc;47220:
Oooh very fancy @25 quid 😄
How about this Withings connect one? You can tweet your daily weight to the world!

BTW, my link is cheaper than your link... 😌
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
😂😂😂😂Jeez no thanks 😂😂😂😂
25 quid;47130:
Hi @Bev (aka Stretch Armstrong),
I've just bought one of these Salter ones. It's been fun watching my body fat change over Christmas! 😏
Seems to work very well. BTW You can activate the extra measurments by tapping and holding your foot. Much easier than fiddling with the buttons.
​​​​​​​

Oooh very fancy @25 quid 😄
How about this Withings connect one? You can tweet your daily weight to the world!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hey thanks sooooooo much 25 notes 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏, really helpful. Thank you 🙃
Hi @Bev (aka Stretch Armstrong),
I've just bought one of these Salter ones. It's been fun watching my body fat change over Christmas! 😏

Seems to work very well. BTW You can activate the extra measurments by tapping and holding your foot. Much easier than fiddling with the buttons.
​​​​​​​
Bev;47123:
My WW weighing / body analysis scales finally broke 😟. Well, they still work for weight alone, but go into error for the BMI, water, and bone density 🤔, think they’re trying to tell me something 🏖🐳😂, so just interested if anyone can recommend a good replacement?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Nataly;38746:
Kombucha seems to have popped up all over the place in the shops over the last few months..

Anyone tried it?😕

Apparently it's really good for you!

Only today I caught up with that new BBC Easy ways to live, think it’s called something like that, with Steph wotsit and Hugh whatsisface? 😂😂😂😂Brain fog United, BUT this Kombucha stuff Nat came out sooooooooo well re helping guts, I adore my kefir but very expensive but worth it IMO. Good programme, brand new series, part two Wednesday 👍👏