Healthy bodies

Show first post

227 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you, Rich. A very interesting read indeed. Type 1 is a lifelong challenge, but with type two, there is a chance to totally reverse it. Interesting reading the comments to that article too 👍

@Bev there is another good piece in the same paper from Professor Baron-Cohen on autism. No not Sacha Baron-Cohen! This chap is a highly regarded expert in the field of autism and the employability of autistic people. He is a cousin of Sacha.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I find the whole spectrum thing fascinating. Don’t know if that’s cos I know friends with a child with autism, or because of just my general interest in health, and that is something that’s become more and more  familiar to us as the years go on. 

@Bev You may have watched it but some three years or more ago the BBC ran a series of three programmes called “Employable Me”. Professor Baron-Cohen featured in it. Try this link 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0755nyq

You may need a tissue or two to hand.

Without people with various degrees of autism we are unlikely to have made the advances we have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I find myself even recognising, instantly, subtle signs that someone is on the spectrum, something we knew nothing about years ago. Quite interesting all these health conditions we’re so much more aware of nowadays. 

Indeed. Many don’t realise that humans are not just flesh and blood but there is something extra, ethereal, that makes us who we are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I found some health advice with respect to alcohol. Apparently a school has been advising pupils on its merits and demerits.

The Teacher takes 4 worms and drops one into a glass of beer, one in a glass of wine, one in a glass of whisky and one in a glass of water. Puts them on the side bench. The next day the teacher shows the class the results:

1. The worm in beer - dead.
2. The worm in wine - dead.
3. The worm in whisky - dead.
4. The worm in water - alive.

She turns to the class and asks “What do we learn from this experiment?”

One bright young man chirps up “Miss, if you drink beer, wine or whisky you don’t get worms.”

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Diabetes.

I am not sure if this link will work here, but here is a link to an article in The Sunday Times today about diabetes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dee77894-b4e4-11eb-8f2a-87b6de480dfc?shareToken=b114a834af00c33f20b9e14847348017

There's nee way I'm getting into the jeans I wore when I was 21! 🤣

@Angelabikerbabe Why not?! Give it a go. I am sure I could. My waist measurements has not changed all my life. Always been 32”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Angelabikerbabe Why not?! Give it a go. I am sure I could. My waist measurements has not changed all my life. Always been 32”.

You're so lucky. My waistline has expanded during the years.....I blame my husband's fantastic cooking! 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Day of zen so far 🧖‍♀️. Included gentle exercise, but a day of fasting by choice. Rare, but nice to have total detox, just hot waters, clearing body and mind 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Think it was you, our Rich, in another thread, mentioning the importance of avoiding press-ups and planks for bad backs. Been told today way too soon to do press ups yet for shoulders, keep doing all my other physio and exercises but avoid the press-up 🤭👍👍👍👍👏

I have no medical qualifications but very much subscribe to ideas from my physio friends. Movement is key. Keep flexing, stretching and using your back gently. Gradually build up strength.  

Think it was you, our Rich, in another thread, mentioning the importance of avoiding press-ups and planks for bad backs. Been told today way too soon to do press ups yet for shoulders, keep doing all my other physio and exercises but avoid the press-up 🤭👍👍👍👍👏

@Bev Indeed it was I. Too many press-ups or planks put a lot of strain on the small of the back. It is unnecessary. All that is needed is flexibility. Hence the yoga Sun Salutation exercises are so helpful. To read more about back problems and help have a look at this site:

https://www.simplebackpain.com

Sarah Key is an Australia physiotherapist who knows her stuff. She has treated back problems for a long time. You will read she is not happy about the plank. She promotes a simple exercise which does work. Using a yoga brick, a pile of books does the same job but job but not as comfortable, you lie on your back with the brick under your bottom to loft it a few inches off the deck. This stretches out the vertebra and discs at the base of the spine enabling the discs to refill with fluid. It is what happens when you go to bed and why it is in the morning you can be 20mm taller but at night you lose that because the spine compresses during the day. Doing the exercise before you go to bed can be very relaxing. 

My problem is I born with one leg ¾” shorter and over the years it has caused the spine to bend, more toward the top but it has put more strain on the base of the spine such that the odd ache appears. Sara Key’s back exercise plus the yoga stuff helps tremendously. The yoga takes time and self discipline but you find it easier and easier to touch your toes and complete other bends yet all without any strain. You may also find it helps reduce the fat around the waist if any of you here have such!

Get up 30 minutes earlier than you would normally and get stuck in. Make it a daily routine and in time you find it becomes a necessary part of the day. It can be quite calming. 

Strange what we write about here. This is an energy provider’s site so I suppose exercise fits with using energy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed, its a full mix of topics our Rich, and in Off Topic, anything goes, but health affects us all, so it’s always a very popular topic wherever you are, virtual or real. Indeed. 👍

I too always like to do exercise at early early lark hour, whether it was early morning walking to walk, early walk to 🛒  or simply early indoor exercise or out on balcony in summer. But early is always 🔑for me too 👍. 

For years, thru the nineties, when aerobics then gyms were both ultra popular, I was doing high intensity workouts, accompanied by abs and floor exercises, including full press-ups, then when at gym, some yoga 🧘‍♀️. Then thru the noughties, it was all about the gym. I wasn’t one for classes by this time, so used personal trainer plus all the equipment daily. This was when I was introduced to the plank, purely for abs, and it was fab. Fab fab fab, but as the years went on, and neck / shoulders mainly, became the problem, the trainer stopped the plank AND any exercise that lifted the bum, as it exacerbated the neck big time. I used the medicine ball, which I was encouraged to kneel on and raise upper body straight, to fully work the abs without the need for sit ups, or plank. 

Then years later again, once sold 🚘, I made the decision to mainly do walking, as had the foundation from years of aerobics, gym and own exercise routines, to focus on keeping the fitness, but staying mindful of neck and shoulders. The lower back is an issue when walking longer distances, and the neck and shoulders seem sometimes cabbaged, but I will persevere, and I certainly look at all your links you kindly provide, Rich. 

I don’t regret for a second, years of aerobics and gym, as did it purely because I absolutely loved it, and it teaches you tons about the body and keeps one in shape, but it has to be about the enjoyment first. Always. Guess that’s why walking works best now, altho still having to be very mindful of the back. 

@Bev Walking outside has other benefits. Chemical ones for the plants, trees etc. give off an essence or vapour, which you cannot usually smell but does us good. It provides the feel good factor from walking with Mother Nature. Plus mental calmness.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Agree totally, three days running I’ve been outside purely to smell the rain on the trees, such a wonderful smell, and if on balcony, it’s win win as surrounded by trees, but I stay covered 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the midst of my hall runs 🏃‍♀️, I remembered something else. 

A trainer told me, when I was 22, “if you don’t like it, don’t do it”. He was putting together a few routine exercises at the gym, and there was one which I really didn’t enjoy. He said “there’s always another way to train that same muscle”. I’ve never forgotten that snippet. Never. If an exercise becomes a chore, I tweak it to make it more fun, more enjoyable, or take it out altogether. At the end of the day, exercise needs to be a little bit of fun too, otherwise we end up quitting before we even get started. Like anything I guess. 

If PP became dull, would we hang around, day in day out 🤷‍♀️. Ya know? 

@Bev i can’t say I have ever exercised because it’s fun. I would avoid it if I could but I just know I need to do it. It’s boring. Apart from a walk in the fresh air.

Hey @Bev 

A trainer told me, when I was 22, “if you don’t like it, don’t do it”.

This sounds like fantastic advice! :smiley:

Now that gyms are reopened, I’m into week 3 of heading back in, and it’s been tricky trying to remember what to do, and what I enjoy or not. It’s so true there’s always different ways to train so why go through something you hate! 

@G4RHL I definitely take note of what you posted about getting up a bit earlier, too.

We’re taking advantage of the (what would’ve been) commuting time to get up at 7 and go to the gym. Back home by 8.20 and ready to start work. It’s been great so far. 

I’ve also started doing bits of yoga, just following YouTube videos. I never thought I’d like it but it’s fantastic on non-gym days, and is definitely calming. :ok_hand: 

Is following videos OK for yoga? I don’t think I’d do a class but I’m never sure if I should, to make sure I’m breathing properly etc! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have to disagree, our Rich, I only ever went to the gym cos I loved it, same with aerobics back in the day.  I guess then, when young and fitter, it was deffo about the love, as you don’t realise the importance of fitness when you feel fine when younger. I know nowadays it’s different, it’s drummed into you from an early age re the importance of good food and wellbeing. 

Nowadays, as it’s more painful, yes I agree, it is more about doing it to keep the body mobile, and to try to regain the fitness level, to some degree, but at a realistic level. It’s still enjoyable tho, knowing you’re working at keeping your body in a good shape. Or trying to. 

Nat, when fully fit, and my best was at 28, I tried yoga classes 🧘‍♀️either after the gym session, or on a day when I was resting from gym workout. They were held at the gym, so all part of the membership. I remember attending three or four, then saying it was all way too slow. Little did I realise back then, when it was all new, that that is the whole point, and years later, I attended a yoga workshop. A friend of mine does it weekly, and has for years, so she could invite a friend as an introduction to it. I worked with her at the time, so took up her kind offer. I still found it wasn’t for me really BUT BUT BUT I have to say, in last 18 months, when looking for something slower, to ease the body back into higher intensity stuff, I am remembering a lot of the moves. 

Also, before all the interweb🤣, it was all about fitness DVDs and I truly discovered that trying to follow fitness, or anything, on a screen, whilst trying to do it at the same time, is soooooo absolutely not for me. 

I won’t spoil the serious nature of this thread, well ok then, I will. First yogi class, after gym session years ago, I went to the back as was new. Woman in front, a regular, let off such a loud fart during downward bloody dog! I couldn’t stop larfing, even tho I was on my own, but she didn’t bat an eyelid, just carried on 😳🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🙃🧘‍♀️

@Bev I think perhaps I used the wrong word. Not boring as such, more an effort. I am not naturally inclined toward exercise, never interested in any sports whether to watch live or on the box. But I know I need to exercise and it’s a discipline if done daily it becomes a habit. Indeed, if you miss a day you know you have, if that makes sense. As you nicely point out there are those occasions in the gym where the body needs to exude excess gases. All that bending and flexing and one does hear the odd anal exhalation from time to time. I remember on the days I used to go on the treadmill, several days running there was this god almighty smell wafting across from my left. After the third day I identified the culprit as it was only he to my left. But three days running? Indeed it was more, and the same smell. God knows what diet he was on.

On another occasion whilst swimming the left breast of a lady near to me dropped out of her costume. I did nothing for a couple of lengths thinking she must know but then the other one dropped out and on the fourth length I realised  I must stop and tell her. I was not intending to put them back of course. However, the embarrassment was no more, she realised these large orbs were hanging free and tucked them away again. They did pop out again later but she was then in control of wayward parts of her anatomy. Oddly enough she never wore that costume again! I said nothing!

So there is fun to be had in the gym. It can’t therefore be boring!

@Bev It has just dawned on me why we hear these extraneous noises in the gym. It must be Wattbot!

Good job she wasn’t doing backstroke or it might have seemed like a mutant scene from Jaws! ▲

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OMG our Rich, I seriously have tears down my cheeks, I am LOL sooooooo much, on life OMG 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👙, that is hilarious! Mortifying for the poor lady but jeez, how could she not know 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳. No doubt, she got herself a good, supportive cossy after that, or maybe she just fancied you and was acting wilfully oblivious 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thanks for getting my banky Friday off to an hilarious start 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👏

I seriously came onto this thread purely to mention two programmes, just as you’d posted, so that was spooky 👻, but last night I watched an excellent weight / health programme on channel four. Now usually, yes, these channel four health probs following participants, are much of a muchness, if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all, BUT I do like whatever Michael Moseley does, and this was no exception. Very very well done and informative 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏

The second was channel 5, all about chronic pain 💥💥💥💥.That was really really interesting and kept me gripped for the full hour. Two excellent programmes IMO, and not channels I’d usually favour. 

Just completely one hour of good physio 💪🥊