Healthy bodies

Show first post

227 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚Jeez no thanks ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Ouch! Expensive, but you're worth in @Marc, get tweeting!
Marc;47220:
Oooh very fancy @25 quid ๐Ÿ˜„
How about this Withings connect one? You can tweet your daily weight to the world!

BTW, my link is cheaper than your link... ๐Ÿ˜Œ
Bev;47124:
BUT this Kombucha stuff Nat came out sooooooooo well re helping guts, I adore my kefir but very expensive but worth it IMO.

I haven't been brave enough to try Kombucha yet... ๐Ÿ˜ will let you know if/when I take the plunge ๐Ÿคฃ
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sometimes a multivitamin can work well. If you think youโ€™re doing everything right, and nothings really changed re diet, exercise, mindfulness etc, it can be a mystery as to why you are in pain or not feeling 100%.

I personally think, when you try hard to eat well and stay healthy, but it still feels like the cogs are not all turning like they should be, vitamins can sometimes realign things and get things flowing slightly more smoothly.

May take time, might mean a headache ๐Ÿค•or nausea till you see what works,ย but I think I can work with them, and fine tune my body ๐Ÿ‘

Just saying ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

PS Great search function on this new platty ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sometimes nails get infected / bruised. This stems from a roller blades 12 hour marathon we did at school. Came back with such bruised (but painfree) toes, aged 16. ย 

Never ever fully cleared and not infectious, just fails to grow back normally.

Tempted to use that Schol fungal nail stuff, but consultant assures me itโ€™s NOT an infection just trauma from the boots.ย 

All these years on, just wish it would heal itself โ˜น๏ธ๐Ÿ‘ฃ

Minger

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You would seriously not know this was Adele! ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€

Seven stone weight loss! ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€

Didnt recognise! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Beyond amazing!ย 

ย 

I thought it was you in the picture @Bev! ๐Ÿ˜

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, certainly gives us all hope tho, our 25 notes

You would seriously not know this was Adele! ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€

Seven stone weight loss! ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€

Didnt recognise! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Beyond amazing!ย 

ย 

Really? Is that Adele on the right @Bevย ???????

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Absolutely our Marc๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€

These two recipe books turned up yesterday evening.

My new recipe books

Iโ€™ve returned to eating only plant-based food, and sticking with wholemeal ingredients, no added oils or fats or anything processed.

A lot of people have advised itโ€™ll really help my back โ€˜issuesโ€™ as itโ€™s naturally anti-inflammatory. Plus all round good for us.ย :relaxed:

Iโ€™m making sure I take a daily vitamin B12 supplement. I think thatโ€™s the only really important one totally missing from whatโ€™s ultimately a vegan diet.ย 

I will post progress and maybe some recipes! I know itโ€™s not for everyone, but anyone interested in this, I recommend the Forks Over Knives website. Fascinating stuff!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wow Marc ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, no oils at all?! Definitely keep us updated on your progress, and especially whether it helps your back ๐Ÿ‘

Another thing Iโ€™m quite strong about, is if facing imminent surgery or treatment, or simply an appointment about something, avoid google!!!!!!!! Itโ€™s soooooooo tempting to look stuff up, and see others views or experiences, BUT every individual is individual! What is a nightmare for one, may be a breeze in the park for another.

Go into an operation, or treatment, with a little bit of knowledge, ideally from your face to face questions with consultant / surgeon / GP etc, but donโ€™t over egg the pudding. Just a positive mindset is really all you need. Others experiences, even if they mean well, can often be a real hindrance.

Nar. I looked up what I had way back last year. Looked at the prognosis and what to do. Then saw doctor whose opening question was โ€œWhat can I do for you?โ€ To which my reply was โ€œI have an inguinal herniaโ€ and away we went from there after she had had a grope around to confirm. Ultimately booked inย one day the end of a February to be carved open and job put right.

It never gives any anxieties looking ย up and researching what a problem might be. I find it better to be informed when then seeing the doctor for (a) you better understand the advice being given and (b) have a good idea if he or she is missing something, which does happen more often than one would expect. However, keep the knowledge assimilated to oneself and do not be an awkward patient who knows it all!

I know many say donโ€™t look anything up but it is of great benefit if you do provided you understand what you are reading, you balance it properly and donโ€™t let it cause unnecessary concern. I am quite sure that if I had something wrong and research indicated something serious it actually would not overly concern me. These things happen. Itโ€™s life. I would simply book in to get the issue looked at professionally.

Sometimes a multivitamin can work well. If you think youโ€™re doing everything right, and nothings really changed re diet, exercise, mindfulness etc, it can be a mystery as to why you are in pain or not feeling 100%.

I personally think, when you try hard to eat well and stay healthy, but it still feels like the cogs are not all turning like they should be, vitamins can sometimes realign things and get things flowing slightly more smoothly.

May take time, might mean a headache ๐Ÿค•or nausea till you see what works,ย but I think I can work with them, and fine tune my body ๐Ÿ‘

Just saying ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

PS Great search function on this new platty ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Just ensure you get plenty of exercise and eat properly. Unless you have some serious deficiencies I am sure vitamin supplements are not necessary. At least not for the majority of the population. The only pills I take are those prescribed to be taken daily. There was one supplement I used to take to strengthen my nails - โ€˜cause I need longer nails on my right hand and found they were always tearing or breaking, but then realised it wasย more likely pool chemicals when I go swimming. Problem reduced, not solved entirely by regularly rubbing in a cream called โ€œHorseโ€™s Hoofโ€ which is mainly lanolin! And by lightly filing the tips to ensure no tears are developing. I did try nail varnish once but it dried them out. I stress it was a clear matt varnish and not a bright pink!

Great threadย @Bev๐Ÿ†™
OK, I have a question.
I need to shift a few pounds, and I'm not really into gyms or running due to a slightly dodgy back.
People talk about walking 10k steps a day, which I can see as being healthy. But will it work with weight loss?

I am dubious Marc that walking will itself remove much weight unless you can do it such that it ups your heart rate. A rough average walking speed is a little over 3 miles per hour. My heart rate barely goes up. Yesterday for example, out for a walk with my wife it averaged 81 bpm. Currently typing this itโ€™s ย around 55 bpm and probably will drop below that shortly. Resting rate is often below 50 bpm. ย 

According to the usual method of calculation myย peak heart rate is apparently 146 bpm. I swim each day, at last now the pool is open, and in the 30 minutes it averages 144 bpm! I understand that if I wanted weight loss then Iย need to swim slower and get the average to 116.80 bpm. Iโ€™d get bored swimming slowly. Itโ€™s boring anyway going up and down!

Walking outside with Mother Natureย will certainly help general fitness and indeed mental fitness. Some yoga exercises will help suppleness and depending on intensity provide some cardio exercise.

Have a look at the Sun Salutation series of exercise. Easy to do, they benefit your joints and your back. They can be done slowly but also more quickly thus giving you some cardio workout.

Of course there is always what you eat and drink!

R

These two recipe books turned up yesterday evening.

My new recipe books

Iโ€™ve returned to eating only plant-based food, and sticking with wholemeal ingredients, no added oils or fats or anything processed.

A lot of people have advised itโ€™ll really help my back โ€˜issuesโ€™ as itโ€™s naturally anti-inflammatory. Plus all round good for us.ย :relaxed:

Iโ€™m making sure I take a daily vitamin B12 supplement. I think thatโ€™s the only really important one totally missing from whatโ€™s ultimately a vegan diet.ย 

I will post progress and maybe some recipes! I know itโ€™s not for everyone, but anyone interested in this, I recommend the Forks Over Knives website. Fascinating stuff!

That will generate lots of wind!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I rarely ever fast but today sooooooooo hot so last night I decided I would. Just reached 24 hrs of fasting ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, proud and drank almost 3 litres water so far ๐Ÿ’ฆ๐Ÿ’ฆ๐Ÿ’ฆ๐Ÿ’ฆ. Surprisingly not even hungry but thatโ€™s normal for me whenย this hot, so glad I did it today ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Try it two days per week but not consecutive. It is not difficultย at all to go without food for 24 hours. For those working perhaps not advisable on a Monday. Try it Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not of course every week. Drink lots of water and add one of those capsules gym goers add to their water to keep the mineral levels reasonable. Itโ€™s an easy way to lose weight. Provided of course you donโ€™t binge on the eating days! Not eating for a day is a very easy thing to do. Less complicated than trying to decide what are the right things to eat. Andย one assumes beneficial giving the body time to clear out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not eat for a day...... like thats ever going to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not that easy for me as Iโ€™m type 1 but did manage it, but itโ€™s not advisable for me to do it regularly, just now and then. Glad I did it tho. LOL our Jonny ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just doing my leg elevations and exercises. Tree trunks havenโ€™t turned into twigs yet ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Real long shot, but wondered if any type 1 diabetics ๐Ÿ’‰in the community, who use the Freestyle Libra, or other Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM), as opposed to the finger pricking and test strips?ย 

Iโ€™veย been invited to trial the Libra by my consultant, which is basically a small patch that inserts onto the arm, then your smart phone ๐Ÿ“ฑscans it ๐Ÿ’ชand shows results in the app, which can be shared with your consultant. So continuous readings whenever you want, without the need for test strips and blood taking๐Ÿ‘. After 34 years, I think shifting to this method would be of benefit, and Iโ€™ve only heard positive feedback so far.ย 

Initially, about two years back, these were very expensive ๐Ÿ’ทand only offered if patients met a strict criteria. As with everything, theyโ€™re coming down in price, and more widely available now on prescription, provided consultant gives approval.ย 

So anyway, I was just simply interested in hearing from anyone on the PP community๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ, if they indeed had tried such a device, and their views on it. Feel free to DM me of course, if youโ€™d prefer to keep it private. Thanks in advance. Know itโ€™s a long shot. Thank you.ย 

Real long shot, but wondered if any type 1 diabetics ๐Ÿ’‰in the community, who use the Freestyle Libra, or other Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM), as opposed to the finger pricking and test strips?ย 

Iโ€™veย been invited to trial the Libra by my consultant, which is basically a small patch that inserts onto the arm, then your smart phone ๐Ÿ“ฑscans it ๐Ÿ’ชand shows results in the app, which can be shared with your consultant. So continuous readings whenever you want, without the need for test strips and blood taking๐Ÿ‘. After 34 years, I think shifting to this method would be of benefit, and Iโ€™ve only heard positive feedback so far.ย 

Initially, about two years back, these were very expensive ๐Ÿ’ทand only offered if patients met a strict criteria. As with everything, theyโ€™re coming down in price, and more widely available now on prescription, provided consultant gives approval.ย 

So anyway, I was just simply interested in hearing from anyone on the PP community๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ, if they indeed had tried such a device, and their views on it. Feel free to DM me of course, if youโ€™d prefer to keep it private. Thanks in advance. Know itโ€™s a long shot. Thank you.ย 

I am not diabetic but two type 1 people I know have these devices and have no issues, find them easy. One I swim with (well when the gym is open!), she has the plug in her arm. No problems. The otherโ€™s condition is more serious but the device is a great warning to him. Alarms go off if the sugar level goes awry. He can switch it off if in a meeting but he says it if he does not address the issue the device overrides the off switch and the heavens open. I have been withย him when it happens. He also has a serious heart problem and a similar device monitoring that. He downloads data collected to a central computer ย who monitor the readings and are quick to get in touch if they think something is wrong.

From what I am told, go for it. It will make life easier and safer.

I donโ€™t think you have to go through a Wattbot either to seek help onย them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah thanks Richard ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, very encouraging. Like your first friend, I would wear on arm, and wouldnโ€™t need the alarms, as blessed to have full warnings, after 34 years. Sadly lots donโ€™t, like your second friend. I would benefit from it purely giving me a reading whenever it was needed, and to not have to prick finger, unless to calibrate.

Thanks so much Richard, thatโ€™s really helpful, and reassuringย to hear. Did LOL re Wattbot bless ๐Ÿคฃ.ย 

@Bevย plus rumour hasit that coming versions of the software for the Apple Watch will enable it to read your sugar levels. There is going to be no hiding from all this! Mine already does an ecg, tells me if my heart rate is low, freqently but low is normal for me, if I my oxygen level is right. I believe also they are working on some way to check blood pressure. I checked mine this morning, the on arm device talks to an app, tells me I am/was 160/82. Must have been the mug of coffee!

All this is in top of the watch telling us if we have done enough steps, stood often enough, burnt enough calories.

I suppose one day every morning the watch willย announce โ€œGood morning Richard, you are still above the turf.โ€!