Healthy bodies

• 17 July 2019
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 3172 replies
Health and well-being! A thread to discuss, share, ask a question, listen, or just read.

Anything at all, health related or exercise related, maybe dietary or vitamin related. This is the thread!

Itโ€™s all for fun remember, no ones claiming to be a medical professional, but often little things can open up a big discussion, with lots of advice and tips.

Sometimes, you might just want to chat about a little niggle with others, or be proud of a health recovery or appointment. Anything at all really.

Something you want to share maybe, maybe you have overcome a trauma or illness.

From a little sniffle ๐Ÿ˜คto major surgery ๐Ÿ’‰๐Ÿ”ช, to long term health conditions, just feel free to discuss here.

Light hearted and fun, but a place to ask away!

54 replies

Great thread @Bev:D

I think you'd have the best exercise tips!!:rolleyes: fancy sharing?🆒

For me, I've gotta say that any time I feel a cold coming on my immediate remedy is this:

- eat oranges. so many oranges. but ALSO strawberries and tomatoes as they also contain loads of vitamin c. If I'm starting to feel really rough I'll also overkill with a vitamin c tablet.
- get a good night's sleep and avoid looking at screens
- cold/warm (depending how I feel) compress over forehead and eyes
- eye drops to help soothe from a headache

It doesn't always work but it often does, or at least makes me feel better enough to go outside🆙

Looking forward to seeing anything else health-related... maybe your go-to 'health' foods when you feel like having a bit of a detox?
And any tips on how to avoid getting ill is always appreciated;-)))
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thanks Nat ๐Ÿ‘

I too try to ward off colds, especially sore throats. Think from having soooo much tonsillitis as a child, itโ€™s made me fight extra hard.

My tip, for years, was the natural remedy Echinacea. I used to take the supplement once a day and it really helped boost immunity. I recommended it to soooo many family and friends. In the end tho, I found an even more effective product, and one I continue to use now, and will probably always use. Itโ€™s the good old HAND SANITISER. This bad boy is a Godsend ๐Ÿ™, especially when in environments with sooooo many doors to touch, and communal desks, seats, taps, toilet door handles ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ - I can honestly say not a cold / sore throat for good ten years.

IF you feel even the slightest of germs, as usually start of cold starts with little tickle at back of throat, my top tip is gargle with salt. So teaspoon of salt, with hot, not boiling, water, and gargle like billio. Forget ya Listerine and mouthwashes, itโ€™s the salt water bad boy that instantly kills the virus before it takes hold. Must be as soon as you feel it tho.

Sticking with noses and throats for now, those suffering badly right now with hayfever ๐Ÿคง๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ข, Just before bed put a layer of Vaseline around the ole nostrils, helps stop the pollen entering ๐Ÿ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Another thing Iโ€™m quite strong about, is if facing imminent surgery or treatment, or simply an appointment about something, avoid google!!!!!!!! Itโ€™s soooooooo tempting to look stuff up, and see others views or experiences, BUT every individual is individual! What is a nightmare for one, may be a breeze in the park for another.

Go into an operation, or treatment, with a little bit of knowledge, ideally from your face to face questions with consultant / surgeon / GP etc, but donโ€™t over egg the pudding. Just a positive mindset is really all you need. Others experiences, even if they mean well, can often be a real hindrance.
Great thread @Bev 🆙
OK, I have a question.
I need to shift a few pounds, and I'm not really into gyms or running due to a slightly dodgy back.
People talk about walking 10k steps a day, which I can see as being healthy. But will it work with weight loss?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
โ€‹Iโ€™d say itโ€™s a combination of brisk walking Marc, thatโ€™s a walk that gets your heart working faster, so youโ€™re slightly out of breath, but not out of breath like you would be in running. Combined with healthier eating.

If you did healthier eating alone, and ate less calories and less fat, youโ€™d lose weight. But to stay toned and add some muscle, the brisk walking is a good way to do that.

Doing brisk walking alone, without watching what youโ€™re putting in, then no, thatโ€™s probably not going to work. Walking, as with any exercise IMO, just works alongside the diet, to tone and shape.

Obviously, a high carb diet is great if need the energy, but if not used, the carbs are soon going to pile on the pounds. So a few carbs for walking briskly each day, but healthy carbs like rices, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, etc. Avoid the white refined stuff. Go for any wholegrains, wholemeal, or wholewheat.

Think personally, the Mediterranean diet is good. Anything in moderation of course, so IMO still have crisps sweets and treats, but just be mindful, and keep bulk of diet to wholegrains, pulses, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, then a few carbs.

Itโ€™s also about learning what suits your own body (as Iโ€™m still finding out! ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„), for example what works for one person, may totally aggravate anotherโ€™s digestion, if not used to it. Mindful of seeds and nuts and high fibre foods, until body gets used to it. Do it gradually and see what works. Every โ€œbodyโ€ is different. Itโ€™s an ongoing learning curve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Often, we think of exercising as taking time out of our day and allocating it to exercise, but everyone today is way too busy for that on a regular basis, hence it never lasting, or it becomes a chore and something you dread.

I find, if the foundations there, and weโ€™ve done the hard work in our twenties and thirties, and kinda kept relatively fit, itโ€™s more about just keeping that in shape and toned, fitting it in where can.

So, a little tip ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, is just do bits and bobs to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. So, when making a โ˜•๏ธ, whilst waiting for the kettle, just do a few squats ๐Ÿ‘, or lunges, and when taking a ๐Ÿšฟ, do a few pelvic thrusts or shoulder rolls. Every bit helps IMO ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘. I like to do hip circles whilst cleaning teeth in ๐Ÿšฟ. Thatโ€™s that out way then, and hasnโ€™t become a chore.
Bev;33550:
when making a โ˜•๏ธ, whilst waiting for the kettle, just do a few squats or lunges

Hahaha I might get some funny looks at PP HQ @Bev 😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Pelvic thrusts?!?!

โ€‹ow that hurt...
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
woz;33593:
Pelvic thrusts?!?!

โ€‹ow that hurt...

Def not @woz
I have, however, been investigating 'planks' today.
These look much, er, easier :eek:
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Oh planks are awesome Marc ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, so much better on the back and neck than sit ups, but equally as effective ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Just getting my body back into some of those gradually, and this week introduced the side plank too. Love a plank ๐Ÿ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
PS Pelvic thrusts are easier ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Start with 2 short ones....?
Marc;33612:
Def not @woz
I have, however, been investigating 'planks' today.
These look much, er, easier :eek:
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
With regard to prescriptions, if youโ€™re a strict veggie / vegan, and your pharmacist issues you with an item, prescribed by GP, containing gelatine, would you take it?

i know some items, such as bought vitamins, can be in a gelatine shell, so you would look for alternatives without the gelatine shell, but when itโ€™s issued for you by GP and pharmacist, who will usually always issue cheapest option, would you take it?

Just curious. Itโ€™s hypothetical btw, Iโ€™m not in that position.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Bev
โ€‹I think you can specify to the pharmacist that your beliefs preclude ingesting gelatine and they can suggest an alternative (you may need to clear it with GP). This is a frequent issue with the Jewish and Muslim communities as well as vegetarians/vegans.
Of course if there isn't an alternative and not taking the meds is life threatening then your ethical/religious mileage may vary.
(by the way camera film contained gelatine, just thought you might like to know that)
Bev;33704:
With regard to prescriptions, if youโ€™re a strict veggie / vegan, and your pharmacist issues you with an item, prescribed by GP, containing gelatine, would you take it?

i know some items, such as bought vitamins, can be in a gelatine shell, so you would look for alternatives without the gelatine shell, but when itโ€™s issued for you by GP and pharmacist, who will usually always issue cheapest option, would you take it?

Just curious. Itโ€™s hypothetical btw, Iโ€™m not in that position.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
If (like me), you have an Oral B electric toothbrush ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, and if (like me ๐Ÿ˜‚), you see a great offer for the latest Genius 9000, IF you want all the bells and whistles Bluetooth app stuff, thatโ€™s great BUT if youโ€™re only buying it thinking itโ€™ll be a massively improved brush, thereโ€™s no need!

Simply buy the various heads, eg sensitive, pro clean, whitening etc, as all will fit your existing Oral B brush. I thought Genius would be a lot faster re rotations and pulsation, but no, itโ€™s exactly same as current.

Im keeping the Genius, but had I known all that before I bought, Iโ€™d have prob just invested in the various latest heads instead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
32 degrees tomoz, rising to 35 by Thurs ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“. Itโ€™s good if itโ€™s nice heat, but this is humid heat, so was pleased to see our local water park opening for the school holidays from today ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘โ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธ. Smile instantly wore off when checked web, to learn under 12s only, and under 8s to be accompanied by an adult โ˜น๏ธ

Anyone got an 8 year old I can borrow, just for tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Great way of keeping cool. A real Godsend these sprays are! Great for car, face, body, pillow, sunlounger, even pets!

@Bev The cool spray is such a good idea!

Sleeping in the heat last night was a real struggle... important to stay hydrated atm :D

And if you're fed up of water you can always eat things like cucumber and watermelon to help get that H2O 🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Iโ€™ve been eating loads of ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‰Nat, sooooo refreshing!

That Magicool been soooo essential these last two days. Tomoz hitting 36 some places ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“!

Loose attire or no attire ๐Ÿ˜‚is absolute key ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
My fav is point number 5... 🆒
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180801-what-you-should-and-shouldnt-do-in-a-heatwave

Have you ever had frozen watermelon @Bev? Absolute dream in this weather!
(and frozen grapes, but they're less hydrating)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thatโ€™s interesting read Nat ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

No, tend not to freeze any fruit really, as hurts the gnashers ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ’ฅhee hee, sound like an old fart, but been buying the ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‰fans, and theyโ€™re sooooo refreshing ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Also raspberries and lots of salads. Have to get it all out the fridge well in advance tho so itโ€™s not too cold ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘.

Yesterday was challenging, heard sooooo many people worked from home naked ๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚. Would have been perfect if had sea or โ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธโ›ฒ๏ธ๐Ÿ๏ธwater fountains, but without either it was ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“.

Today relatively cooler, comfortable for chores and clothes, but still quite humid.
Badge +1
Whenever I even think I have a cold coming on I drink hot toddies. Black coffee sweetened with honey and fortified with rum. I'm not 100% certain it helps, I just don't care.

As ano domini wreaks its inevitable toll I find it's my joints that are giving the most problems. My right knee, from kick-starting motorbikes 40-odd years ago; my back has a couple of fused vertebrae from an old work accident; and my shoulders pain me, for reasons unknown. I have a physio appointment for them tomorrow. Other than that I'm in reasonable shape for a sexuagenarian.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hot ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹are also great for warding off colds, fresh juice squeezed into a mug then boiled water. Can add ๐Ÿฏif you wish.

Sounds like youโ€™re doing just fine Oaky ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Oakbank;34110:
Whenever I even think I have a cold coming on I drink hot toddies. Black coffee sweetened with honey and fortified with rum. I'm not 100% certain it helps, I just don't care.

I think I'd drink that anyway, sounds great😂
โ€‹
@Bev I always always do hot lemon with honey, and if I have a blocked nose I also add some ginger 🆙