or if you prefer something more traditional

Happy Chanukah again!

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

….

and for tonight (and tomorrow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbvCRkl_4U

I’ll leave the explanation to someone else…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G Thanks! 

diversity and inclusion...diversity and inclusion…

(disclaimer...saddened and somewhat ashamed that I had to resort to liking my own post...but on the plus side shhh...I think I got away with it...)

I think this is a lovely idea for what could be a number of ‘seasonal’ threads @woz.
(For all I know there may already be a number of ‘seasonal’ threads, I haven’t really checked.)
I don’t know whether Pure Planet lacks enough Jewish members to appreciate it, or whether they are too busy keeping it to comment yet.

Personally, I’m not sure whether it’s really ‘Diversity and Inclusion’ or just ‘common human decency’ (something which actually appears increasingly uncommon online) to wish other people a joyous time when they have something to celebrate/commemorate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I agree

There was an xmas lights thread, but Diwali was “overlooked”  so I  belatedly added that and Chanukah to that thread. I’m not criticising at all, I just think there could be more diversity. I don’t think the absence indicates a lack of decency, but perhaps a lack of awareness. 

Then again there’s nothing wrong with someone celebrating them all, then you can’t go wrong! (and it might be fun!)

(and despite having errr...borrowed the basis for that gif I still had do put a lot of effort in:robot: )

Then again there’s nothing wrong with someone celebrating them all, then you can’t go wrong! (and it might be fun!)

I’m a miserable so and so, I only keep Christmas because certain of my friends and relatives expect it.
Although I did win this year’s ‘Christmas Muzak Bingo’ when I wandered into a shop to be regaled by Wizard’s ‘I wish it could be Christmas every day’ - thus giving me a full house, random dumb luck meant my nearest rival was still waiting for ‘Pipes of Peace,’ and ‘Fairytale of New York.’

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So so many great cultural reasons to celebrate all year and the food that goes with it.

My wife's late mother was Jewish (her Dad Catholic) and miss her Lokshen soup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So so many great cultural reasons to celebrate all year and the food that goes with it.

My wife's late mother was Jewish (her Dad Catholic) and miss her Lokshen soup.

@Strutt G Doesn’t that technically (using special religion technology:robot: ) mean your wife and her biological children are Jewish as I believe the faith passes through the matriarchal line. As ever I may be wrong...but that means you can do Christmas and Chanukah so two lots of presents. Hard luck...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@woz Ha ha...well we don’t have children as live a selfish self possessed life style.  

Not much Jewish influence really apart from some food and to be honest and no religious leaning what so ever. In fact she went to a Catholic school and church and made her become non religious. One of my friends is Jewish and African and thats a great fusion of food and culture. I thought I was a buddhist once but that was another deluded part of my life - but was an interesting worth while experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G 

ha! I wondered if I should have assumed the children part, but no matter you can still buy the wife a Chanukah present. (or make sure she avoids seeing this post)

African Jewish, hmmm the alt-right (or insert your own name for them) would have a field day with that one…

(at least the Buddhist delusion was harmless, but talking of deluded I listened to a prog last night about the Jonestown massacre...I can’t find the words..)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ll check that prog out….

Yes of course I can buy her a Chanukah present and will date this for next year - so cheers.

When I read your post I had to explain what Chanukah was Woz. Stay on the is side Woz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ll check that prog out….

Yes of course I can buy her a Chanukah present and will date this for next year - so cheers.

When I read your post I had to explain what Chanukah was Woz. Stay on the is side Woz.

@Strutt G in that case you might need to know as with many similar religious festivals , the date is not related to the Gregorian calendar.

Next year Chanukah  runs from 28th November to 6th Dec. (or so google says)

Diwali is on 4th November 2021(it was on 14th in 2020)

Here’s a link to that programme.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Neighbour popped some lemon drizzle over today, wonder if he knows its Chanukah, he’s a black cab driver not working due to covid and has got into baking instead of tinkering with his family’s motors. I’ll ask.

@woz on another front listening to Radio London this week re discussion on Brick Lanes Beigel Shop which is open 24/7 and an all night haunt I’ve visited on numerous occasions in the wee hours coming back from clubs...oh those where the days...sorry my point is, what do you do if your a Jewish vegan, no salt beef, no pickled herring, smoked salmon and cream cheese all in freshly baked warm beigel. Marvellous.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G

lol, could be a rarity (the Jewish vegans) as they’ve wasted away... caused by lack of cream cheese…

I looked up that shop...while I’m here is it Bagel or Beigel (I think this is another example of the North South divide, (Barth as in Bartholemew or Bath….(rhymes with math)??)

It’s grimy uhp norf but they can’t speak proper darn sarfff...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Strutt G

I looked up that shop...while I’m here is it Bagel or Beigel (I think this is another example of the North South divide, (Barth as in Bartholemew or Bath….(rhymes with math)??)

Ho ho ho @woz same debate during the show, but as my partner (well wife - long story another tangent) states who’s from Plaistow in East London its always... been Beigel as in her words its America v Beigel. 

I know nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G

Ho ho ho @woz same debate during the show, but as my partner (well wife - long story another tangent) states who’s from Plaistow in East London its always... been Beigel as in her words its America v Beigel. 

I know nothing.

@Strutt G Hmmm it transpires that it’s already a “thing”...LINK, who knew...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That Shiny one is the one. As JB would say everything is on the one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That Shiny one is the one. As JB would say everything is on the one.

@Strutt G Agreed, apparently you have to boil them (or so I’m told...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You make the dough, prove them, and then poach them for a minute in water with bi carb then place in the oven. Ah... man, a warm Beigel with its thin crisp crust (not crusty) slightly sweet dough. Dun’t fink thay gottem in Barth...

Lovin’ this thread! 😊 🕎

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can feel that @25 quid, brings a tear to my eye that you said that.