Demise of the Bath Oliver (or the end of civilisation as we know it..)

• 7 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 11252 replies

Never mind Covid, this is really important!

Production of the Bath Oliver biscuit has ceased!

https://bathnewseum.com/2020/10/07/tinful-of-history/

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yo Woz,

No! The Bath Oliver has always been a top pick for the cheese board - its TRADITION!

Dry snappy and creamy.

Go and watch Bob Ross it will soften the blow

Later

Badge +2

:scream::scream: NOOOOOOOOO   !!!!

Lets hope its just a publicity exercise :wink:  and they'll be back by public demand :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I think that PP being based where they are should get involved here!

Badge +2

Agreed Woz. 

They are the Mohammed Ali amongst crackers.  Here’s a potted history for anyone who is interested…...

Fortt’s Original Bath Oliver Biscuits. Our Fortt’s Original Bath Oliver Biscuits are thin, crisp, ivory-coloured biscuits with light perforations. Fortt’s Original Bath Oliver biscuits are made to a traditional recipe developed in Bath, England. They are made from fat, flour, milk, yeast and are sold in a white paper cylinder. They are a simple biscuit that goes so well with cheese. In other words, they are the biscuit of choice for many wine buffs for cheese and wine parties.

Fortt’s Original Bath Olivers are low-bake, pale, wheatflour biscuits. They are slightly raised with yeast, unsweetened and lightly salted. They are typically 75mm in diameter and 6mm thick with perforations all over the surface. Fortt’s Bath Olivers are suitable for vegetarians.

Bath Olivers were invented around 1750 by physician William Oliver of Bath, Somerset (1695-1764). He created them for patients taking Bath’s restorative waters. This gave the biscuit its name. When Oliver died, he left the recipe for the Bath Oliver biscuit to Mr Atkins, his coachman. The bequest also included £100 and ten sacks of the finest wheat-flour. Atkins set up his biscuit-baking business and therefore became rich. After that, The business passed to a man named Norris, who sold out to a baker called Carter. It is possible that several Bath bakers were producing the biscuit in competition at this time.

During the nineteenth century the Bath Oliver biscuit recipe passed to James Fortt. His company continued to produce the biscuit well into the second half of the twentieth century. Today, Bath Olivers are produced under licence by the Jacob’s Bakery.

Agreed Woz. 

They are the Mohammed Ali amongst crackers.  Here’s a potted history for anyone who is interested…...

That’s a ringing endorsement @LUCKY JO :laughing:

A confession: I’d never heard of Bath Olivers before 

Badge +2

@Marc @woz   @Strutt G Glad to report all is well regarding the Bath Oliver.  I've had this encouraging email back from United Biscuits.  😃😃

Dear Jo

Thank you for contacting us about Jacob's Bath Oliver.  I am very sorry that you are not able to find this product at the moment.

Unfortunately, due to the situation with COVID-19 we have had to de-prioritise some of our lines, and this is one of the products that we are not currently producing.

I am sorry for any disappointment caused but do hope that you understand and hopefully once we are fully up and running this product will return.

Kind regards

Lisa Richardson
Consumer Services Co-ordinator

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@LUCKY JO 

lol thanks, that’s  good pre lockdown news!