Cookies 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

• 17 January 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9889 replies
Is it just me or do more and more websites seem to be requiring cookies in order to view?

I always block cookies, then unblock as and when really need to, which used to be quite rare.

Nowadays, I’m finding I need to unblock them for almost every damn website 🙄🙄🙄. I actually don’t like unblocking, as find I’m then inundated with spam emails or calls or texts 👎👎🙄, so finding myself trying to squint read a website that’s greyed right out 😂 which isn’t good for the ole 👀, but preferable to invasion of privacy.

What do others have their settings on? Just curious. Thanks 👍

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Regularly clear the history from mac pro and via safari preferences/privacy to remove websites visited as needed.
The ipad set as 'allow from websites I visit', but periodically use the option to clear history website data.
Also really interested on the what others have in place or carry out.

Re your other post Bev, also excited as now realised we have a free years apple tv+.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Adblock or Adblock Plus and Ghostery but there are others
All have to be used with care as sometimes you need the cookies.
I try to keep one browser without add-ons if I know I'm going to need reliable tracking (quidco for example)
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hey Woz, ditch the cookies, have a cocao and gets some Zzzzzz's
Good night dude!
Badge +2
A while ago the Privacy laws changed (might have even been before GDPR) and websites have to tell you that they're using cookies and what for. Generally I find this a very good thing and it should be once per website unless you clear them. It is annoying sometimes but I compare it to the slight inconvience of airport security - you accept it to remain safe.

Cookies aren't necessarily a bad thing. In face there are ones that I prefer to keep and not delete for some sites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yes that would explain it Jowl. It’s the fact they’re telling us now, so makes it seem like it’s happening more. It’s only a small inconvenience to unblock then block again yes, and sometimes tempted to just leave them unblocked. Not sure yet.
The privacy laws changed but many many sites continue to breach the law and commit an offence. I frequently stop to check when a site throws up a notice about cookies and privacy. It is surprising when you dig how many have preselected the opt ins, which is the opposite of what the law provides. It must be the user who physically decides to opt in and not to have to opt out. Then there is the complexity of how you opt out. Some make it difficult, they bury the opt out provisions deep in the site or make it arduous to find out where they are to ensure you are opted out. This is deliberate as they want you to give up and just accept. This behaviour is of course criminal. The law provides that the user must be able to easily choose whether he wishes to opt in and in addition the option must be clearly set out and not buried or made complicated.

Some sites, not many, are good. I have not checked recently but the Philips Hue site used to be good. It would ask you if you wanted to opt in and make the process extremely clear and easy. Others like Honeywell or Resideo as it is often called, make it very difficult to exercise your options. Well it used to last time a looked.

The process is not policed very well by the ICO. They ought to have a web page where the public can report the sites that act illegally and then automatically begin action with warning notices, perhaps spot fines etc.

Goolge are a complete pain. It is an effort to opt out. About once a week when I go into Google a box comes up asking me to set my privacy settings, despite my having done so countless times before. They do this I am sure because I have opted out and they do not like that and so make it difficult for me by asking me to reset them every week or so. I suspect this also is illegal.

Once I have set my privacy settings on a web site I do not expect to be asked to do so again. That is certainly not the Google way!
Badge +2
Agreed @G4RHL - some sites are shocking with the auto opt-in or 'this is what we use, you have no choice but accept'. It HAS made me not visit sites due to this. The UK newspaper outlets are particularly bad (as expected).

Google is a law unto itself. It's phrasing out cookies in fact but it makes likfe difficult for techies and developers.
Unless it is a site I know I should trust I try to get to the privacy settings and ensure nothing is selected. Often all are pre-selected when I get there and I need to deselect. It is a criminal offence to have the site set up like this. I sometimes use a VPN and also wipe out all history every so often. I very rarely get any spam email or unsolicited email, nor do I get phone calls or texts from third parties. Sometimes after ordering something I get emails from the seller but usually unsubscribing sorts that.

What I do get of late is somebody telling me my TV licence has expired.

Some sites you have to accept to proceed with no choice which also cannot be legal on its own. That then means clearing out the history afterward.

The law is there but it is not being enforced. Perhaps someone should set up a naming and shaming web page!

I noticed this morning I was greeted with a cookie notice. Now I know Nataly is in to baking but I don’t think it was something from her about.biscuits! What I saw though was that I was automatically opted into everything. I think it ought to be the opposite to comply with the Data Protection Act. The Act provides  two basic simple things, the user must “physically “ opt in and not have to opt out, and how to do it should be clear and simple. On the latter point PP’s notice is fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes I agree, I noticed that, the default being as shown, it would be better if when the Cookie settings was clicked it defaulted to the top selection. Also basic functional should say necessary (basic functional) as there is no option to have no cookies at all. (even if it is explained).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t click on Accept so the message permanently shows on screen, which is tad annoying, but only tiny bit

If there is to be a default it should be the basic cookies.  When I logged in earlier I was “defaulted” to All which is wrong. I changed it to basic. I have just checked again several hours later, on a different computer to find it has reverted me back to all! Methinks that is illegal.

Badge +2

That really annoys me. I just leave the website. They shouldn’t be defaulting to on and some won’t even allow you to turn them off. 

they should all be opt-in not opt-out

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I hope it doesn’t deter people from coming here, I hope this new platform isnt putting people off 🙀🙁

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That just reminded me, as in I reminded myself 😂😂😂😂, that there’s no longer number of members and non members showing on the home screen. That was useful, as were the green dotties, to get a rough idea at least, of the interest at certain times of day. It’s all gone 🙁🙁🙁

The default to on is a criminal offence.

I just checked again but first removed all my history and yes, when logging in to PP, if you check cookies it is defaulting to all on. The default ought to be off.

Hi @Bev @Jowl  @G4RHL 

Just to let you know we’re reviewing the Pure Planet cookies generally. So as to make sure we’re doing the right thing, and the community’s “aligned” with our website, too.

Great, it could save PP a fortune if the Information Commissioner took action! Have a look at this site where Philips have made life easy and you will see a user is opted out by default:

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I had a different issue before I was completely logged out with no possibility of getting back in! HERE

before that happened (which was when I deleted cookies to test), when I reopened a closed tab it said I was logged out but when I clicked on log in top right it logged me in without the email (in other words I was logged it it just said I wasn’t)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wozeeta, you are making me larf sooooo much 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Sounds like you were doing the Hokey Cokey!

Badge +2

I was a bit confused - didn’t realise we were specifically talking about the Pure Planet website. But glad it’s being sorted.

I’ve been on a few sites recently that tried to force you to accept cookies. I can’t believe how much a little thing angers me lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Cookie distractions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlUvfJnREO8

Cookie distractions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlUvfJnREO8

Hey @Strutt G 

YouTube videos are easily embeddable too, if you want to show the video rather than link to it. Basically you click on the 3 dots in the tool bar, choose ‘embed media’ and paste the YouTube link. If you want to!