Caravans

• 27 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Many many years ago, when the kids were young, money was tight and fuel was around £1.35/gallon, we used to borrow my father-in-law's old caravan to go on our holidays.

Fast forward nigh on 40 years and the kids are grown, some with kids of their own, money is still tight (it never gets any better does it?), fuel is around £1.35/Litre, and we have recently acquired a 2-berth caravan with which to explore this sceptred isle in our retirement

What a difference! The old caravan had single glazing; no heating, other than a portable catalytic heater that probably produced as much carbon monoxide as heat; a primitive 'bucket and chuck it' loo; a two burner cooker with cylinder directly attached underneath (scary!); no hot water other than from the kettle, and the cold water came from a jerrycan.

The new (to us anyway) caravan has tinted double glazed windows with built in mosquito nets and blackout blinds; hot and cold running water; a chemical cassette type loo with electric flush; a shower; a fridge that works off 12Vdc, 240Vac or gas; a 4-burner gas cooker with grill and oven; and best of all, a ducted hot air heating system that works off gas or 240Vac.

It's only a two berth caravan, but for us it's ideal. If any of the grandkids want to join us they can camp out under the awning which is almost as big as the caravan itself.

Now, this fantastic wee caravan is not new by any means, but it's clean, dry and everything works as it should.

We're heading off on Sunday for a week or two to Shropshire via the Lake District.

Any other camping and caravaners out there in Pure Planet with tips and advice to share?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Actually you have hit upon my retirment plan, cash in my pension pot buy a caravan and truck to tow it and then spend at least 5 yrs touring canada,usa and alaska.
Saving hard but its actually a lot cheaper over there than over here. This bad boy will set you back $30000.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Jon

​That is one beast of a caravan; a bit bigger than mine.

I believe the term for people doing what you plan is "Snowbirds". They chase the sun, driving north in the summer, then as soon as the evenings get cooler, head south again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Your description of the early caravans soooooo remind me of my childhood holidays thru the 1970s and early 80s Oakey! Fantastic memories! Those holidays were the absolute best 💕💕💕. Hope you have a super exciting time with your new caravan, this weather is just beyond awesome ☀️😎⛱️🍦
Badge +2
two of my Uncles owned caravans so we used to have breaks with them in the holidays as kids. We LOVED it. Especually the bunk beds!

My mother and father-in-law are regular caravans and often go for weekends / long weekends in spring and as often as poss in the summer. Occasionlly they take my kids who love it. Before we had the kids we'd borrow it in summer. A week away doing nothing much and reading books, playing cards. We'd either play in the sun or inside if it was raining. I love being comfy and warm in the caravan when its raining.

I would never buy one though - simply cos I don't have the patience to tow one! Brilliant fun for all ages though.

The idea of buying one with the pension pot and travelling appeals a lot - especially if in the states!

Enjoy your adventures!
Oakbank;32163:
Many many years ago, when the kids were young, money was tight and fuel was around £1.35/gallon, we used to borrow my father-in-law's old caravan to go on our holidays.

Fast forward nigh on 40 years and the kids are grown, some with kids of their own, money is still tight (it never gets any better does it?), fuel is around £1.35/Litre, and we have recently acquired a 2-berth caravan with which to explore this sceptred isle in our retirement

What a difference! The old caravan had single glazing; no heating, other than a portable catalytic heater that probably produced as much carbon monoxide as heat; a primitive 'bucket and chuck it' loo; a two burner cooker with cylinder directly attached underneath (scary!); no hot water other than from the kettle, and the cold water came from a jerrycan.

The new (to us anyway) caravan has tinted double glazed windows with built in mosquito nets and blackout blinds; hot and cold running water; a chemical cassette type loo with electric flush; a shower; a fridge that works off 12Vdc, 240Vac or gas; a 4-burner gas cooker with grill and oven; and best of all, a ducted hot air heating system that works off gas or 240Vac.

It's only a two berth caravan, but for us it's ideal. If any of the grandkids want to join us they can camp out under the awning which is almost as big as the caravan itself.

Now, this fantastic wee caravan is not new by any means, but it's clean, dry and everything works as it should.

We're heading off on Sunday for a week or two to Shropshire via the Lake District.

Any other camping and caravaners out there in Pure Planet with tips and advice to share?

Wow @Oakbank you're living the dream! Sailing here, a bit of caravanning there. Sounds perfect.
It just needs Bluetooth IMHO 😂