• 21 replies

Value proposition of pure planet?

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Value proposition of pure planet?

@innovationinmyblood

List comparators?

I think your blood has thinned rather too much, your question is too vague and strangely phrased both in the subject line and the question (if it is a question).

I will be more clear this time does the conpany make profit by selling renewable energy products? If not then how does the conpany make profits as it only has one tariff?

PP claims the money is made from the membership fee (aka standing charge) and in fact the previously simple approach of one tariff has sadly long since disappeared.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @innovationinmyblood 

Pure Planet's simple claim is that they have zero mark up on energy, their profit comes from the membership fee (standing charge).

https://community.purepla.net/topic/show?tid=10325&fid=44

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

https://community.purepla.net/topic/show?tid=10325&fid=44

Whilst the membership fee is to cover administration costs according to its accounts Pure Planet does not/has not made a profit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Whilst the membership fee is to cover administration costs according to its accounts Pure Planet does not/has not made a profit.

Looking at the salaries for the present vacancies at PP 

We're going to need an awful lot of new members to pay them

Just followed your link @Duppy. It looks like PP has yet to appoint one of the jobs - Digital Content Creator - for he or she has not made the cookie notice legal yet!

Oh dear, we’d better hope they make one eventually, companies that fail to make profit tend to cease to exist.

It is not uncommon for companies to trade showing a paper loss all the  time or even to have it’s liabilities greater than its assets. However, the auditors have to be satisfied there is financial support to enable the business to continue. That support is usually a lending facility from a bank or support from a major shareholder. I suspect that with PP it is a bit of both. A company called Blue Marble Holdings is that which supports PP. PP is a subsidiary company of Blue Marble.  One of PP’s major ultimate  shareholders is BP and as BP has a great desire to move away from fossil fuels I imagine being involved in PP suits it. The last accounts for PP show it made a loss of £17,000,000 and that it’s asset value was in the negative to the tune of £24,000,000. 

The figures are for the year end March 2019 which was the end of the first year of trading. Blue Marble reported it had 109,931 members. I imagine the accounts for the year end March 2020 will begin to show a better picture. The early years of a new business are very volatile. The accounts are due to be filed on or before the end of March 2021. Many wait until the last moment!

PP is different, well it has us contributing to this forum!, its intentions are to be 100% green and it is very obvious what it’s profit margin is, the bit that pays the overheads, it’s the membership fees. I don’t know of another energy supplier that publishes the gross profit it makes from every customer!. The struggle will be to make a net profit. There will have been a business plan for shareholders and lenders and that I suspect projected the period it would take to convert a net loss into a net taxable profit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@woz normally as I’m not very innovative, I wouldn’t comment on a username, so I won’t start now :robot:

As an add on comment to my earlier posting, Octopus Energy, a competitor of PP similarly shows it is making a loss in its accounts and has a negative asset value, yet is said to be worth US$2 billion after doing a deal to supply in Japan. It’s negative profit and asset figures are though extremely small. Inconsequential.

Out of interest I checked to see what Octupus would charge me based on last year’s consumption. A total of £1305.72. Compared to PP’s charges for the same supply of £1169.18. However, PP’s charges have changed since then. If I apply my current PP rates to the same usage then the total would be £1053. Even better and less than last year except that gas cost went down in price. I fixed my cost July last year. I am sure if I applied PP’s charges as at today it would still be less.

But I know that PP’s gross profit on what I pay is £160.08 p.a. I have no idea what Octopus’s is. It seems more based on these figures.

creative and innovative recommendations  that can improve pure planet’s business performance?  

creative and innovative recommendations  that can improve pure planet’s business performance?  

I admit, I find this to be a very ‘odd’ thread, however, here you go:
Pure Planet's ideas board | Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@innovationinmyblood 

is that a quote from one of the recent job specifications?

@woz I think it is bordering on the nonsense speak we get from our politicians. Not quite but getting close!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@woz I think it is bordering on the nonsense speak we get from our politicians. Not quite but getting close!

@G4RHL I’m still looking for the link between tents and Pure Planet due to the thread title...

@woz not sure there is one I can peg down.  I also cannot follow the original posting in that regard. There is a massive difference twixt “canvas” and “canvass.” 

“Canvas model of Pure Planet” does not make sense,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

i

@woz not sure there is one I can peg down.  I also cannot follow the original posting in that regard. There is a massive difference twixt “canvas” and “canvass.” 

“Canvas model of Pure Planet” does not make sense,

@G4RHL 

....A man goes to the doctor and says, at first I thought I was a wigwam, but now I think I’m a teepee.

Ah says the doctor, I know what your problem is, you’re too tense…

(getting coat ...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I love a Saturday chuckle 👍👏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣⛺️⛺️

I am not tense. I am relaxing with a G&T but having re read this topic I still don’t really follow the original post. Come on @innovationinmyblood, please enlighten us. Both the expressions “Canvas model of pure planet” and “Value proposition of pure planet?” don’t  to my mind make any coherent sense.