• Rocket Scientist
  • 4269 replies
Calling all book worms!

What are you reading at the moment?

My latest delivery from Amazon ......

113 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
What I should be reading is the book I have been given by a mate called Landmarks by Robert Macfarlane.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Kindle books are ok, but nothing beats smelling a brand new book 😚👃📘when you open it for the first time, does it?!

Just me then 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Books and paper = less time on the screen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I'm going to get lynched for this...
Book worms are worms that eat books.
Bookworms are people who love to be immersed in reading.

(no Bev you can't subtract points for this but I'm sure you'll get revenge...ouch that hurt.....)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
No, you’ve even got a thumbs up Wozeeta, cos I’m such a grammar stickler too, so well spotted and thank you!

My biggest biggest loathing right now, and sooooooo on the increase, is the inability to differentiate between YOUR and YOU’RE 😡😡😡😡😡😡👎👎👎👎👎👎
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Your quite right...I admire you're sticklerness, I should of known.. arghhh... I hate that
(For those of a non-grammatical persuasion the top line is to be disregarded as, for the avoidance of doubt, it does not reflect the usual level of grammatical pedantry with which I am now sadly associated - in other words it's a joke)

Bev;25921:
No, you’ve even got a thumbs up Wozeeta, cos I’m such a grammar stickler too, so well spotted and thank you!

My biggest biggest loathing right now, and sooooooo on the increase, is the inability to differentiate between YOUR and YOU’RE ������������������������������������������������������������������������
May I suggest a book that I think both Bev and Woz may appreciate?

Here goes....

Eats Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Although something tells me you may already know of this book 📖

😁

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'm currently reading 13 by Kelley Armstrong. It's the last in a series so I'm particularly taking my time as I don't want it to end.

The whole series is based on fantasy with werewolves, witches, necromancers, demons, etc. It completely takes you into another world and I adore these characters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
There is a very similar book title by someone with the same name as a sanitary-ware manufacturer....
I’ll leave it at that for now..🚽
Badge +2
I love reading and used to do it a lot pre-kids (and Smartphones!). Mainly Star Wars things recently. It takes me so long to read now though - a page and I'm asleep :D

As a geek I want to embrace Kinde but you can't beat the feel of a real book
Totally agree with you @Jowl - I like to read during my Commute but halfway through the page I can feel my eyes closing!

I do love reading though, my current choice is 'Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal' to keep practicing my Spanish.

@Bev what are your thoughts on 'Till the Cows Come Home'? I've seen loads of people reading it on the train so I'm definitely intrigued.

I've never used a Kindle but I heard they can be very useful for us Bookworms when going travelling - otherwise all the luggage allowance is taken up by books 😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hey spooky, Nataly! I always wonder if many others are reading the same book as me🙀👍. Good to hear. Yes, at the start, I wasn’t sure. Kind of like a book to be gripping from page one, but have to say, I’m loving it now 👍👏. Nice easy read, can relate to loads of it as born same era, plus as you imagine, it’s Sara Cox so loads of real funny bits, plus lots of warm moments too. Yes thumbs up 👍and about three quarters of way thru it now Nat 👍.

I have the kindle app thingy via iPad, so when on train 🚂 that’s a Godsend as books just too heavy and bulky for an already bulging backpack 🎒when going away. Have to say tho, when the books for reading at home, I always go for the actual book. Much easier on the 👀as well as the wrists IMO 👍, plus ya can’t beat the smell of a new book! Weird 😂😂😂😂😂
Bev;26530:
Hey spooky, Nataly! I always wonder if many others are reading the same book as me

Yes me too! Especially as it can feel like you've made a personal connection with some stories - I often think whether the story has had the same impact on others 😮 great review of Till the Cows Come Home, I might just have to get myself a copy 🆙

I like reading an actual book too as being able to properly see how many pages you've turned through always feels like quite an achievement. And yes the book smell ;))

They can also be a great present if you can write a nice message for someone on the inside cover - a lovely memory and always a nice surprise when you go to re-read the book 10 years down the line ;-)))
Badge +2
I found my book I started ready months ago - on the last few chapters. Decided I'd read in the bath. Que kids brusing teeth, wife sitting down to talk to me. Dog and cat coming in to see what the fuss is about.

I'll never finish this book.

Or get any peace and quiet.
Reading in the bath is a very brave choice @Jowl ! I'd definitely manage to drop the book completely into the water..

Love the animals getting involved too - I've had issues with this before...

What're your opinions on audio books?:rolleyes: Have you given any a listen?
Badge +2
ha ha @Nataly. That's why I don't have a kindle - at least not until they're water proof!

I've considered audio books. Especially as I do a few (short) journeys per day in the car. Might have to have trial.

Hope your cat is enjoying the book!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That is one cute cat, Nat! Like you mentioned before, the joy of turning each page and seeing how far you’ve got, the smell of the new pages, it all makes the actual book more enticing than the kindle or audio, but for practicality then yes, other formats work. I think audio works great in cars of course, but not same anywhere else, and seems to work best if comedy for some reason. Just my opinion, like.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi jowl
They are, or at least they can be, you can get a waterproof case for them...

Jowl;26977:
ha ha @Nataly. That's why I don't have a kindle - at least not until they're water proof!

I've considered audio books. Especially as I do a few (short) journeys per day in the car. Might have to have trial.

Hope your cat is enjoying the book!
Badge +2
woz;27125:
hi jowl
They are, or at least they can be, you can get a waterproof case for them...

Yeah I’m not fussed about having it in a case like that. Looked into it for iPads.

For the amount I read, a real book is perfect for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Bev;25895:
Kindle books are ok, but nothing beats smelling a brand new book ������������������when you open it for the first time, does it?!

Just me then ������������������������������������

No, no, no, no. Opening a really old book, now that is a feast for the senses. I am congenitally unable to walk out of a second-hand bookstore without one or two under my arm.
I'm currently working my way through the Patrick O'Brian series about the exploits of Captain Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin during the Napoleonic wars.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Nataly;26961:

What're your opinions on audio books?:rolleyes: Have you given any a listen?

I invariably fall asleep.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Oakbank;27335:
No, no, no, no. Opening a really old book, now that is a feast for the senses. I am congenitally unable to walk out of a second-hand bookstore without one or two under my arm.

Not for me Oaky; second hand books always seem to have a bogey or two stuck in the middle 👃🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮! Put me off for life! Always brand new now! I donate every one of my books to charity shops, but never buy! Deffo wouldn’t wanna sniff a second hand book like I do my new ones, ya dunno WHERE they’ve been! 🤧🙀😂😂😂😂😂👎
Oakbank;27335:
NI am congenitally unable to walk out of a second-hand bookstore without one or two under my arm.

I'd never really considered buying second-hand until recently - it can also save a looot of ££! I think it's totally acceptable to leave with at least two (or three...)
@Oakbank Have to admit, though I've never read O'Brian's novels I used to love the film Master and Commander which was based on them.. have you seen it? (or is it too different from the books?)
@Bev 😂😂 yep probably best only to sniff your own books😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Master & Commander is an amalgam of two or three books. In my not so humble opinion it is a great movie. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge
Struggling through 'Quiet Genius' biography about Bob Paisley, former manager of Liverpool football club. Sounds sad but I don't favour long chapters and this book is all 25+ pages. Adding to my struggle.