Boiling water for Drinking

• 16 November 2020
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just a flash thought: -

We fill our kettle up so that we have plenty of boiled drinking water available.

We do this as it improves the taste and hardly ever purchase water saving all those plastic bottles.

This on the other hand increases electricity costs.

My late mother always drank pre boiled water as she said it was better for you.

I’m thinking you’d be better off drinking tap water apart from the (London) taste.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I love drinking boiled water, not necessarily cooled like you and your mum our Strutty, but as a hot drink. Just a lovely detox and I find really lovely. Tap water cold in Midlands, has the awful London taste, so do prefer boiled, but certainly saves on plastic, yes 👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Our water (in the NE) tastes of chlorine. Despite coming from a plentiful fresh source (Kielder). Ruins a decent malt. When our kitchen was redone 7 years ago we put in a filter tsp. Easy to do and the filters cost about £20. They last ages. The malt is great!

Hey @Strutt G 

This is an interesting one and not one I’d thought of before - the tap water here in the South West (around Bristol/Bath) doesn’t have a strong taste in my opinion, so I’d only ever go for tap :slight_smile:

@G4RHL getting a filter tap is a really good idea! I have friends in London who did the same - they agree the London water tastes awful. 

A lot of my friends also keep a water filter jug in the fridge at all times - I think avoiding buying single use plastic would always be the best solution!

Brita filter all the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Brita filter all the way.

Um I’m just thinking another product in landfill. We use to use them. I guess boiling water and using electricity is not good counter point, for some reason I thought water that had been boiled had some other benefits rather than just taste. We never drink iced water as believe its a shock to the digestive system and the first drink of the day is warm water with a squeeze of lemon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Nataly I agree about the taste of our water in the south west, just tastes of water and nothing else, we just take it straight, no boiling or filtering.

We never buy bottled water.  💧💧💧

Ammanford - Tap
Southampton, Portsmouth, Waterlooville, Winchester - yuck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The water in South Wales is as good as it gets, however, when the children were young we wanted to encourage them to drink more tap water. So, I fitted a Franke Triflow filter system and have never looked back. 
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Our water in the Peak District used to taste beautiful, until they replaced the lead pipes with plastic - make of that what you will! I even had it tested and they said it was fine but advised to keep some tap water in the fridge. I now fill a bottle daily and drink that and it's fine. So no boiling kettles and good tasting water (and no lead poisoning😁)

Has anyone invested in a sodastream? 

We love sparkling water, but hate buying (plastic) bottles of the stuff…! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ha ha you’ve just made me think back in the day when I wrapped a soda stream I hardly used 25 approx years ago. Gave it to my mate as a moving in present. He new I was taking the P and gave it away, the syrups back then where appalling. But I hear their back in vogue...We only drink still water unless its for a Campari and soda or a G&T. And the minimum tonic water is Fever Tree. Don’t think it matters as much for Soda. Think its one of those pieces of kit you’ll get quickly bored with, but stand to be corrected.

On reflection if you like sparkling water then it may save money. Time to crunch the numbers on the equipment cost v consumption.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Has anyone invested in a sodastream? 

We love sparkling water, but hate buying (plastic) bottles of the stuff…! 

I prefer sparking water when out and about. However, I need to be educated on its effects to teeth etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Had a Soda Stream first time round, late 1980s as was sooooo addicted to fizzy drinks. Absolutely adored the Tizer but buying the gas cylinders became a nightmare. Tedious and pricey. 

Second time round, much improved, so deliberated for weeks then bought one. Yet again, gas cylinders proved tedious and expensive. You’ve guessed it, straight to the British Heart Foundstion within a matter of months, they were really grateful, but no, it wasn’t for me. Just didn’t taste like sparkling drinks you buy. Noisy too 👎👎👎👎. Bit like a suppressed fart. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh Dear Marcs gonna be having palpitations 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Had a Soda Stream first time round, late 1980s as was sooooo addicted to fizzy drinks. Absolutely adored the Tizer but buying the gas cylinders became a nightmare. Tedious and pricey. 

Second time round, much improved, so deliberated for weeks then bought one. Yet again, gas cylinders proved tedious and expensive. You’ve guessed it, straight to the British Heart Foundstion within a matter of months, they were really grateful, but no, it wasn’t for me. Just didn’t taste like sparkling drinks you buy. Noisy too 👎👎👎👎. Bit like a suppressed fart. 

I love the “suppressed fart” theme 😂😂😂

Ok sounds like it’s a no-go - that’s good to know though, thanks! :grinning:  

Sparkling water is bad for your teeth @David j?! Uh oh :open_mouth: