Blood-sucking Bites

• 3 September 2019
  • 13 replies

Definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer on such a positive Community forum, but, .....

Just wondered if anyone had some interesting facts, treatments, preventions of our "lovely" garden visitors that lunch on us for free!

My family have suffered some dreadful insect bites this summer (suspected horsefly and other critters) that have resulted in courses of anti-biotics.

Never had it this bad before. We live in Cheshire and our garden has many trees around the border and wondered if this may also contribute.

Thoughts and advice are well appreciated.

On the positive, we've seen some beautiful butterflies and participated in the Big Butterfly Count. πŸ¦‹

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
I don’t have any advice re. horseflies, but for midges and other small biting insects I recommend planting some aromatic herbs near your β€˜sitootery’, eg. lemon balm. These plants evolved their volatile aromatics as a defence against insects and herbivores.
Pots full of aromatic herbs have a similar effect as citronella candles, except they don’t blow out.
I have found that putting olbas oil on exposed skin does help reduce bites from midges and mosquitoes but the horseflies, man, need horsewhipping! Also, I sometimes spray some of the vosene tee tree spray on my hair!
Sounds terrible Bev.

I found the horseflies were relentless and if you tried knocking them away they came back at you more determined!
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Avon Skin-so-Soft on you. Seriously, it works.
DEET on your clothing. (careful, it dissolves some synthetics)
SMIDGE, if coming to Scotland.
Don't go where there's mosquitoes :p

PS. Have a good holiday. πŸ†’
I used my friend's Soltan after sun + insect repellent each night, and didn't even get bitten once :D

I normally end up covered in bites so it was a good result! Definitely recommended πŸ†™
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I know my mums had sooo many bites and also wasp stings this year, much more than any other, requiring antibiotics πŸ’ŠπŸ’ŠπŸ’Šand antihistamines plus creams. My friend was blackberry picking and got bitten by a horsefly, boy the bite was evil, she had to go A and E and was given antibiotics which hardly touched it, then it looked severe like sepsis πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€, but with more antibiotics it finally eased. So yes, very unfortunate year if you happen to be picked on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Agree Ange πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ tea tree is marvellous stuff πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
LINK (not a recommendation, I'm insect food whatever I do, and I haven't used them, but the reviews seem OK)
on that note...No point in looking at mosquito repellent reviews, the positive ones don't prove anything and there won't be any negative ones as they all died of malaria.πŸ†’
Quo Vadis?
Nataly;36956:
Great advice:D

I'm off on holiday next week - anyone have any 'travel' tips for avoiding mosquito bites? πŸ˜•
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I use the flyspray we use on the horses, it smells of oranges but works really well.
Yes I'm afraid I too am scarred with puncture wounds that were made on 19 July!!!

I assume a mild winter and spring may have something to do with this.
Ange;36740:
Definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer on such a positive Community forum, but, .....

Just wondered if anyone had some interesting facts, treatments, preventions of our "lovely" garden visitors that lunch on us for free!

My family have suffered some dreadful insect bites this summer (suspected horsefly and other critters) that have resulted in courses of anti-biotics.

Never had it this bad before. We live in Cheshire and our garden has many trees around the border and wondered if this may also contribute.

Thoughts and advice are well appreciated.

On the positive, we've seen some beautiful butterflies and participated in the Big Butterfly Count. πŸ¦‹

Hi Ange,

I have also suffered much more this year..... I normally get the odd bite or three... but about 2 or 3 weeks ago I got really used as a bugs restaurant, especially round my elbows and lower legs....so itchy and I can never resist scratching them. Still got the healing marks on my legs. Definitely been a much worse year than usual.
Oakbank;36829:
I don’t have any advice re. horseflies, but for midges and other small biting insects I recommend planting some aromatic herbs near your β€˜sitootery’, eg. lemon balm. These plants evolved their volatile aromatics as a defence against insects and herbivores. Pots full of aromatic herbs have a similar effect as citronella candles, except they don’t blow out.

Great advice:D

I'm off on holiday next week - anyone have any 'travel' tips for avoiding mosquito bites? πŸ˜•
Ange;36979:
I have found that putting olbas oil on exposed skin does help reduce bites from midges and mosquitoes but the horseflies, man, need horsewhipping! Also, I sometimes spray some of the vosene tee tree spray on my hair!

Great tip, thanks! πŸ†™
I'll need to get those in my suitcase ASAPπŸ†’