Are you a member of any other virtual communities? 🤷‍♀️💻👩‍💻👨‍💻📱

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9021 replies

What got me thinking of this, was in our “What made you happy today” thread, started over two years ago, our Marc started it off by saying “In another community I'm a member of, we have a thread where everybody just says what's made them happy this day. Thought it would be nice for here too! 😀”

So, it got me wondering if anyone here is also a member of any other communities online? 🤷‍♀️

Be interesting to hear what kind, and how they compare to PP 👍

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, this is my one and only 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah thanks our Scuba 👍👍👍

I used to be on a tennis forum, mainly Spaniards, Mexicans, Canadians, Americans. Was on years and it was great fun and received lots of tennis stuff in post after members went to tournaments and got things signed etc, plus videos etc. Way before all the technology today, it was just within a website, before apps, before tablets, but was my only other community I’ve been on 👍🎾

This is my only one now 👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The odd forum 

So, it got me wondering if anyone here is also a member of any other communities online? 🤷‍♀️

GiffGaff - but don’t spend much time there.
NowTV - but don’t spend much time there.
Quora - which I guess is similar to this insofar as it involves people asking questions, some useful, some not so useful.
Fiat Forum - not been there in years.
Peugeot Forum - not been there in years.
Couple of other places.

Most of my ‘community involvement’ is via facebook groups.

The odd forum 

Aren’t they all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

😁😁😁😁👍

Thanks Gwynd and Strutty 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

No, this is the only one 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks Ange 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The odd forum 

Aren’t they all?

See what you mean cheeky!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I remember the 🎾one being similar, in the way that members seemed to stay years, and contribute daily. It had great moderators, and excellent layout. Think those two things are key. A poor layout, or really busy layout, can deter people instantly. Obviously, usually your first few visits are to find information or answers to queries, then you feel your way around other parts, as you see what you like. Without that ease tho, it can be off putting.

Fact so many of us stay, and contribute daily, just to help, and for fun, is an indication of an enjoyable forum.  For me, as I have said before, that first feeling of such a welcome community, when first joined, and what I found to be a simple way of dealing with any query I had, made me stay around to discover the extras. 

1. A forum that handles heating automation queries. Almost always sensible and helpful advice.
  2. A forum handling the beta testing of Philips Hue software and products which is again helpful with added bonuses for beta testers. Always sensible and respectful support.
  3. I have in the past joined the odd forum when seeking an answer to a query but find most of such are appalling with stupid, ignorant comments uttering forth from the hands of members; Illiteracy also abounds. There is little or no sensible management to such fora.
  4. I joined a forum relating to my car hoping for sensible advice but not worth it. If there is an issue just Google it.
  5. Facebook, Instagram and such like are a big NO. I was, some years ago on the former but the rubbish posted was like number 3 above.

This forum is a little different. There is an element of “social fun” but sensible advice abounds despite the frustration PP customers have. I have made the point before, this forum provides the advice that ought to be given to customers but free of charge to PP! Unlike Wattbot members here understand the questions being asked!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Agree totally re any social media Rich, it’s a big big big no from me too. I have never ever joined any, as just hearing friends talk about it, tells me enough. It’s deffo not for me. Most of them have left it now too. Like a lot of things, it’s totally spoilt by the damaged ones, who are on it for totally wrong reasons. 

I am with you too, when seeing a forum full of ignorance and illiteracy, it’s totally off putting, and I nearly always turn to google now too, and look for a really sound source for advice or answers. 

Yes, I think the social fun is enjoyable within a serious forum, it’s about getting the balance right, I guess and the right mix of members. 

Interesting, thank you 👍

1. I joined a forum relating to my car hoping for sensible advice but not worth it. If there is an issue just Google it.

I must have been lucky, the two forums I joined for car related activities were pretty helpful, not as helpful as the old AROC meets used to be in Llantrisant, but I’m not going to them in a  3.5 tonne van.

The Boxer, Ducato, ProMaster, Relay, group on facebook is fairly helpful, although I find it rather full of campervan conversion questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it is just luck really. If the right persons on the forum, on the right day, you’ll get your answer. More likely to stick around and revisit of course. 

Badge +2
  1. owlstalk - sort of a community but a football fan forum. I don’t post often now but for years was a regular, well known member. I met some life long friends, people who attended our wedding, God parents to our kids and some really cool / funny people. The humour was fairly unique - it could get clique-y but the in jokes were brilliant. When my son was born they re branded the site to congratulate. And it was a site with thousands of active members. 
    we also raised £10k in one day for charity. And some member for Sued by a then chairman of the football club - the judge eventually through it out as “nothing more than saloon bar banter”
  2. scoobynet - for my Subaru car. That was worthwhile too

I gave up my Facebook addiction 2-3 years ago. So much more relaxed now. The whole brexit thing threatened life long friendships. As well as the just inane crap that was posted generally. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That’s superb re the football fan forum, Jowl, enjoyed reading that, especially how you made lifelong friends, who became “real” friends at your wedding, and Godparents to your children 😳😳😳👍. Wow. You kind of think virtual stays virtual, in general, but what a lovely story. As there were thousands contributing to the site, think that’s the key, as such a huge mix then. Inevitable cliques as you say, but just like in real life really. 

£10k in one day for charity 😳😳😳👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏, excellent achievement. Sounded a brilliant site. 

Yeah I’ve never been lured into any one of the social media sites. Never. Just not for me at all. Hearing of so many calling it a day, for more or less the same kind of reasons you’ve given, Jowl.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  1. owlstalk - sort of a community but a football fan forum. I don’t post often now but for years was a regular, well known member. I met some life long friends, people who attended our wedding, God parents to our kids and some really cool / funny people. The humour was fairly unique - it could get clique-y but the in jokes were brilliant. When my son was born they re branded the site to congratulate. And it was a site with thousands of active members. 
    we also raised £10k in one day for charity. And some member for Sued by a then chairman of the football club - the judge eventually through it out as “nothing more than saloon bar banter”
  2. scoobynet - for my Subaru car. That was worthwhile too

I gave up my Facebook addiction 2-3 years ago. So much more relaxed now. The whole brexit thing threatened life long friendships. As well as the just inane crap that was posted generally. 

Must admit I don't go on Facebook very often now

Userlevel 4

Nope only this one :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nope only this one :)

Wise Choice Lapa wise choice

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This one keeps most of us busy all day long 👍👏😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This one keeps most of us busy all day long 👍👏😜

It made my hair fall out

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, baldy 😁😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, baldy 😁😉

But not follicaly challenged

Userlevel 4

Forgot how much I loved the banter of some members on here :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nice one Lapa