Android users with crashing apps - how to fix it

• 24 March 2021
  • 3 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6955 replies

Just posting some info for any Android phone users out there who are experiencing lots of apps crashing.

Since late on Sunday night millions of Android users have experienced apps such as Gmail, Amazon, Facebook (and even the Pure Planet app!) crashing.

The cause is an Android update to ‘web view’ - which is when an app launches any type of website - which Google says has now been fixed.

If this is still happening to you, here are the steps to take to fix it:

1. navigate to the Play Store app
  2. search for Android System WebView
  3. select the "Update" option
  4. repeat these steps for Google Chrome

Check out this BBC report which has a bit more info.:thumbsup:

3 replies

When it was notified yesterday I couldn’t find Android System Webview in the App Store, perhaps they’d blocked it due to the issues?
I fixed it by disabling Chrome.

When it was notified yesterday I couldn’t find Android System Webview in the App Store, perhaps they’d blocked it due to the issues?

How odd. Does that mean you can’t browse the web on your phone at the moment @Gwyndy ?

How odd. Does that mean you can’t browse the web on your phone at the moment @Gwyndy ?

Browsing the internet is what Opera Mini is there for (I used to be a Firefox devotee until they messed up the ability to use Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey a few years back.)

I think Chrome re-enables after a while anyway, Google don’t like you disabling it.