and today’s new word is...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13641 replies
A word I’d never heard before came up today
This thread is for anyone to post a new word you’ve stumbled across or even a word which others might find interesting, and the meaning of the word.
Made up words are OK too!
My word was Panjandrum
noun

1. a person who has or claims to have a great deal of authority or influence.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
ERICACEOUS

Reading my Monty kindle, and sorry to say, I had to look this word up! New to me 🤭☺️ It means acidic
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

YAFFLE - another one I’d not really heard of! Shame! ☺️

Sound made by the woodpecker. A repeated note rising in an alarmed crescendo. (From my Monty Don book).

And hence the English folk name for a green woodpecker was ‘Yaffle’. 

I do now remember the woodpecker in Bagpuss in the seventies being called Professor YAFFLE 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

YAFFLE - another one I’d not really heard of! Shame! ☺️

Sound made by the woodpecker. A repeated note rising in an alarmed crescendo. (From my Monty Don book).

And hence the English folk name for a green woodpecker was ‘Yaffle’. 

I do now remember the woodpecker in Bagpuss in the seventies being called Professor YAFFLE 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏

I’m astounded you remembered this thread, flabbergasted even!👍👍👍👍👍👍

now there’s a interesting word...my flabber is gasted…

(allegedly Frankie Howerd, used to say never has my Flabber been more gasted!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

GUTTAPERCHA - newly learned today! The rubber used in the centre of a golf ball 😳🏌️‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh, and yesterday’s was, PULCHRITUDINOUS - meaning beauty but couldn’t find thread yesterday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh, and yesterday’s was, PULCHRITUDINOUS - meaning beauty but couldn’t find thread yesterday. 

Am I  insouciant? Do I look insouciant?

Come back Catherine Tate...

ROADMAN

One of the (many) cool things about working at PP is the number of young people around me who teach me lots about how the world speaks these days. Roadman is the same as ‘chav’ which was popular a while ago.

According to the Cambridge dictionary:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ooooooooooh love that bugger our Marc 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Used to use chav soooooo often a few years back, now it’s scanks and bints, but more for females, so love that for males from the equivalent brigade 👏👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

bint…interesting because I was under the impression that was a rather more derogatory than chav which incidentally is asexual.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Think it’s just an old word for female really our Woz, same bracket as chav or scank I think. Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

well someone thinks they do..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well we’d best think of a more positive word of the day now, but glad this thread is resurrected hee 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh yes, one I discovered at the weekend, the early smell of rain, PETRICHOR. 

Love it! The word AND the smell 😳👍💕☔️

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

nice one @Bev 

what a coincidence, today (yesterday) one of the questions on Brain of Britain was what was the fluid in the veins of the immortals called , ichor was the answer

petra as in petrified (stone) and ichor as above… petr ichor

I‘m clean out of interesting words, I’ll wait until something  comes along that takes my fancy - I’m not gay or owt but maybe that would be callipygian…. 

(disclaimer: and no apologies to anyone who is not gay or owt or not staight or owt)

callipygian

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ROADMAN

One of the (many) cool things about working at PP is the number of young people around me who teach me lots about how the world speaks these days. Roadman is the same as ‘chav’ which was popular a while ago.

According to the Cambridge dictionary:

WOW,   never heard that before 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

SESQUIPEDALIAN

Missed your earlier post our Wozeeta, re Brain of Britain. Interesting. I’m learning these few lately, from my Chase app as been playing it more now the games have dried up here 😢. 

Very educational, this beauty refers to lots of long words. 

Badge +5

How about gralloching?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Like that one, rhymes nicely 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Changed my mind hee hee hee 🙃👎. NIce ring to it, but don't like the meaning 🦌🦌🦌

Badge +5

@Bev Deer, deer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Changed my mind hee hee hee 🙃👎. NIce ring to it, but don't like the meaning 🦌🦌🦌

Agreed @Bev  it should have come with a health warning.(thanks G4 for upsetting the animal lovers)

Proctoloquentolagist

Badge +5

Thought the word was proctologist, Proctoloquentolagist not being a word. Could be wrong. Of course also a word to upset animal lovers, we all being animals!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL 

I know it isn’t in the dictionary because I made it up. If you know your Latin roots you should be able to decipher the meaning (not that I ever did Latin).

Badge +5

@woz HaHa I was not going to be arsing about (knowing the meaning!) checking my Latin! My one and only A level! I came across gralloching in the paper. Never heard it before, nor partipated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oneiromancy

Analysis of dreams to predict the future.