A year of Covid-19 pandemic and lockdowns - what do you do differently now?

• Community Manager
  • 6955 replies

It’s coming up to the first (and hopefully the last!) anniversary of the Covid-19 pandemic first lockdown.

And of course since March 2020 we’ve had a few more lockdowns, local and national.

Life has changed, dramatically. We’ve all seen some huge disruption, and some sadness and tragedy too.

But I thought it would also be an interesting community discussion to share what else has changed for us. What do we take less for granted? What, from the ‘before times’, would we do differently, now?

It can be one thing, it can be lots of things.

I’ll start off, but would love to hear yours, too. And I’m sure I’ve actually got several.

Meeting a friend for a coffee in town. This used to be so effortless, so normal, so ‘nothing’ to it. Just walking to a coffee shop, ordering a black Americano, sitting at a table, having a good natter, then wandering off back to work/home/shops.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Bit obvious, but I’ll start mine with seeing parents. So easy, to impulsively book the trains, swiftly pop a few bits for the day (or few days) into a backpack, and spend a day or three cramming in as much or as little as we wanted. Seemed so easy, and could do it regularly thru the year. 

I am very patient and happily wait, but know those first hugs will be sooooooo special. 

I know I’ll think of more simpler ones, to add later. 

Smashing thread 👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Now that I can't see my parents , it makes me so much more determined to spend more time with them, (when I am allowed to obv)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Something simple that I do differently now, is washing all my veg from the supermarket 🥕🥒🥦🥑🌶🥔🍓🍋🍏🍐. Sounds simple, and prob what most already did, but I tended to eat it without washing, or just swill in cold water. Now as per the Whitty, I meticulously wash it all in warm soapy water, and it’s something I know I’ll now do always. 

Video calls. These used to be new, interesting and fun.

A year on and I’m taking steps to cut back on video calls, especially work meetings, because on busy days I have something like 10 video calls to do. Crazy! And then more in the evening with family and friends.

So, trying more audio-only. And really going to appreciate face-to-face (or will that be mask-to-mask?!) conversations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t do video calls but my friends do and colleagues and I’ve heard soooooo many say “these zoom calls are a damn nuisance! Novelty at first but now committed to set times, set days, when all I wanna do is relax with TV and PJs”. I can soooooo imagine, sooooo glad I don’t do any of that.

Last century phone calls were enough to drive ya mad, so when mailing and messaging became the thing, it was fab. Think video calling is going backwards not forwards. Great for long distance relatives to see new babies and family etc, but not people you speak to for work daily. I think it’ll deffo go back to more face to face stuff once restrictions lift. People will want that so much more having not had it, both for work and family / friends.

I think something I’d change moving forward is really making the time and budgeting for events and time with friends. It was all too easy to say no to hopping on a train or spending a night visiting friends before… but now I’d make sure to plan this in!
I also have friends and family abroad, so I think it’s made me appreciate that it may not always be so easy to book a flight or Eurostar to see them and that I should really appreciate the times when I can! 

I also completely agree about video calls, it can be exhausting. I’m now looking forward to seeing everyone in person and have cut down massively on ‘social’ video calls since last year, with the understanding that massive catch-ups will be had in person ASAP :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Spot on Nat, and I truly think the huge positive from this pandemic is it’ll have made the majority soooooo much more appreciative. Yes re seeing family, friends etc, but also of appreciating all the everyday things in nature, wildlife, even being grateful for simple provisions. Ya know?! 🤷‍♀️👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also, what’s deffo changed, is sooooooo many people loving lounging attire / PJs / onesies etc. Putting “proper” attire on 🤣🤣🤣feels soooooooooo uncomfortable now! I don’t miss buying smart clothing, or wearing it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Defo looking forward to seeing my mother and sister, closer than even 2m, hugging and seein ng them smile, no need for masks.

Close friends too.

Have already started  listening to Radio Manchester much more than pre March 2020.

Also, what’s deffo changed, is sooooooo many people loving lounging attire / PJs / onesies etc. Putting “proper” attire on 🤣🤣🤣feels soooooooooo uncomfortable now! I don’t miss buying smart clothing, or wearing it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👏

Yes! I’m liking the joggers at home, but once out of lockdown I’m thinking it would be good to really dress up. I may go full-on dandy with waistcoat, tie, smart shoes, nice fitted jacket :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Deffo photo needed when you do, Marc 🤣👍🤳🕺👔👞👞🎩💼🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wake up Y’all and shake up. Dress up for dinner, change the mood and don’t let the standards drop.

Get on the good foot: -

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Strutty is back! 👍👍👍🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍

Well, today’s the day. A year ago the whole PP team left the office to start working from home.

I remember saying to a colleague “we’ll be back by June I reckon” - so I might have got the month right, but missed it by a year…..

Hope everyone is keeping well today. Lots of love to all from me and @Nataly and the whole PP team :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, today’s the day. A year ago the whole PP team left the office to start working from home.

I remember saying to a colleague “we’ll be back by June I reckon” - so I might have got the month right, but missed it by a year…..

Hope everyone is keeping well today. Lots of love to all from me and @Nataly and the whole PP team :heart_eyes:

Is the plan for everybody to return to the office? My son works for an IT company, they plan to continue WFH, and are going to downsize considerably.  He had to go in a few weeks ago to swap out a server, all the furniture had been removed and the only sign of life was the security on the door, as the automated entry passes have been disabled

Is the plan for everybody to return to the office? My son works for an IT company, they plan to continue WFH, and are going to downsize considerably.  He had to go in a few weeks ago to swap out a server, all the furniture had been removed and the only sign of life was the security on the door, as the automated entry passes have been disabled

Hey @Duppy Yep, we’re planning a gradual return, once we’re allowed to. We’ve actually grown in numbers loads since lockdown, and we’re going to be expanding the office space we use.

I’m imagining a sort of ‘hybrid’ approach, with some remote, some in the office. Def going to be limited numbers to start with.