Solved

A Massive Big up for the NHS

• 19 March 2020
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
icon

Best answer by Bev 19 March 2020, 14:14

Absolutely our Strutty, remarkable work πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
View original

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Absolutely our Strutty, remarkable work πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
It's great to see many companies are offering NHS staff free or very discounted food and hot drinks (tea, coffee etc) as a gesture to how much they're appreciated right now πŸ™‚
Badge +2
I hope this will make EVERYONE see what a critical service the NHS is. They are awesome 365 days a year.
Badge +2
Nataly;50431:
It's great to see many companies are offering NHS staff free or very discounted food and hot drinks (tea, coffee etc) as a gesture to how much they're appreciated right now πŸ™‚

Taking advantage of that - My wife works for the Childrens Hospital in sheffield and is going into Tesco early tomorrow to get some stuff. We won't buy bulk buying but will get some stuff we need hopefully (flour!) and some things we can donate / give to others
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jowl;50530:
Taking advantage of that - My wife works for the Childrens Hospital in sheffield and is going into Tesco early tomorrow to get some stuff. We won't buy bulk buying but will get some stuff we need hopefully (flour!) and some things we can donate / give to others

Hey Jowl - its great Y'all thinking and acting this way... its brilliant!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
NHS staff πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Indeed. I think there are many here who would be willing to help.

Also for all members go to https://www.goodsamapp.org/nhs
I am part of a scheme from my local hospice where we visit people with advanced dementia and spend time with them. All that has been suspended now as such persons have a week immune system and the infection would kill them. Our lack of visiting has a knock on effect with their carers, usually a partner. It is where a simple phone call is worth a lot.

i remain optimistic that good things will come out of this. 99% of people are kind and caring. The media would have you believe otherwise.
@G4RHL that's really incredible stuff! I'm sure your support is really appreciated.

Does that mean you're able to call people you'd normally be visiting at the hospice?

It's definitely important to celebrate the good and positive actions people are taking right now, there have been so many acts of kindness and I'm sure there'll be many more.

On the NHS volunteer responders, I hadn't realised you could volunteer for phone work only if you're in a vulnerable group, so thanks for sharing the link as that's really useful to know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I can’t give any LIKES 🀨☹️, Just says LIKES then NONE in pink. Done the update πŸ‘and photos now work πŸ‘, but can’t give any thumbs and posts are incredibly slow, this has frozen four times just typing two lines πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes, I call them. Well their partners for the actual patient is too far advanced to be able to handle a phone call. In my case my allotted
patient is 92 and is wife is 90. She is as bright as a button and just appreciates the contact. With another organisation I am a member of telephone contact is being made with all to check all is good and there are no special needs. This will be going on around the country. It is easy to forget that for some elderly people who have been widowed and live on their own, these clubs and societies become their life. Take it away because they have to be isolated and you create other issues. Email is no good, we are left with the telephone.
Bev;50771:
I can’t give any LIKES 🀨☹️, Just says LIKES then NONE in pink. Done the update πŸ‘and photos now work πŸ‘, but can’t give any thumbs and posts are incredibly slow, this has frozen four times just typing two lines πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Judging from my notifications this is now all sorted for you @Bev πŸ˜πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yes, sorry Nat, it’s all working fine now, thank you πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Richard
​​​​​​​In fairness to the media I think they (the media) are merely being realistic about the consequences of being unable to flatten the infection rate, I don't think they've been saying that people aren't kind and caring, just that some people are behaving stupidly. To be kind, perhaps some of the irresponsible behaviour is down to the invincibility (arrogance?) of youth (some not all).
But as we know it's not about whether they catch it, but the exponential number of people who it's passed to by them.
At least the government are trying to hammer that message home.

G4RHL;50756:
Indeed. I think there are many here who would be willing to help.

Also for all members go to https://www.goodsamapp.org/nhs
I am part of a scheme from my local hospice where we visit people with advanced dementia and spend time with them. All that has been suspended now as such persons have a week immune system and the infection would kill them. Our lack of visiting has a knock on effect with their carers, usually a partner. It is where a simple phone call is worth a lot.

i remain optimistic that good things will come out of this. 99% of people are kind and caring. The media would have you believe otherwise.
G4RHL;50775:
Yes, I call them. Well their partners for the actual patient is too far advanced to be able to handle a phone call. In my case my allotted
patient is 92 and is wife is 90. She is as bright as a button and just appreciates the contact. With another organisation I am a member of telephone contact is being made with all to check all is good and there are no special needs. This will be going on around the country. It is easy to forget that for some elderly people who have been widowed and live on their own, these clubs and societies become their life. Take it away because they have to be isolated and you create other issues. Email is no good, we are left with the telephone.

@G4RHL this sounds like some really important work and it's so nice to hear the good things people are doing to help their communities ⭐
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
On reflection Woz, you are right to be fair to the media in the manner you highlight. They are better with this than they were with Brexit. At the beginning of the crisis we did have some idiotic reporting with emphatic statements that were simply not correct. That has settled down and there is a better balance. The issue now is the repetition. There may be several articles in a paper and they say the same thing. Often the headline and the opening paragraph is all you need to read as the writer then pads out his or her article by saying the same thing in different ways. We also need to remember that a lot of our papers are written with a reading age of a 9 year old in mind.

But they are doing a better job this time! Plus I read more stories of people’s kindness to one another.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
G4RHL;50864 We also need to remember that a lot of our papers are written with a reading age of a 9 year old in mind.
.[/QUOTE:

​​​​​​​Some of the stories look like they've been written by a nine year old
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Anyone been out to do the clapping tonight at 20:00hrs?! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. Felt bit silly last week as I was the only bugger on me balcony 🀣🀣🀣🀣, but this week could hear a lot lot more, it felt lovely, and the clocks going forward most definitely helped πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
All clapping & hitting tin pots around here πŸ‘πŸ‘
Same here @Bev - last week hardly anyone took part on my block!

Then last night at 8 ALL the neighbours were out, with whistles, pots and pans, and someone close by even let off some fireworks from their garden!

And after the applause it was lovely to see all the neighbours waving at each other, having not seen each other for a few weeks nowπŸ‘‹
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ah that’s lovely Nat πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’•, and I think next week will be even better, as more and more peeps cotton on πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Last nights β€œ Clap for NHS & Carers β€œ was a fantastic effort in our street - clapping, tin can banging, fireworks and the local church bells ringing.
Wonderful support πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Yes, deffo a bigger turnout our Dai! πŸ‘

Pots, Pans, cheers and fireworks πŸŽ†πŸŽ‡, quite a moving few minutes πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ¨πŸ₯
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Carers too.
We had a sad loss last Thursday and my partner is in bits after losing her mother in a care home with natural causes and Aizheimers.
She had only been in their for 1 week and then lock down so we could not see her in the last 3 weeks of her life.
Its so cruel on the family and my partner spent the last 3 years attending and monitoring via CCTV.
I wasn't going to post this but its the work people put in. The care home is upset and they are going to have a service when this is all over.
They lost another resident last week who had been living there for 11 years and the staff had grown attached to the family. So the care staff are sharing and enduring in these difficulty times in more ways we can envisage. What stirred me to write this is watching the BBC just now of carers making the decision to live in the care home to protect the residents and their family.

People can be and are amazing.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Peace!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Strutty
My sympathies go out to you and your family.
Strutt G;51972:
Carers too.
We had a sad loss last Thursday and my partner is in bits after losing her mother in a care home with natural causes and Aizheimers.
She had only been in their for 1 week and then lock down so we could not see her in the last 3 weeks of her life.
Its so cruel on the family and my partner spent the last 3 years attending and monitoring via CCTV.
I wasn't going to post this but its the work people put in. The care home is upset and they are going to have a service when this is all over.
They lost another resident last week who had been living there for 11 years and the staff had grown attached to the family. So the care staff are sharing and enduring in these difficulty times in more ways we can envisage. What stirred me to write this is watching the BBC just now of carers making the decision to live in the care home to protect the residents and their family.

People can be and are amazing.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Peace!