Pure Planet Community Spotlight May 2019 - Gwyndy

This month the Pure Planet Community spotlight is shining on member @Gwyndy :o

With some great cat pics in his community intro (winning lots of us over from one of the very first posts!:rolleyes:) and a love of history books, Gwyndy's made a great impact on the community already even though as you'll read he's very new to PP!

Thanks @Gwyndy (and partner Kate!) for agreeing to take part in this month's spotlight so we can get to know you better 😃

​

The community spotlight is a regular feature to find out a little bit more about who we are, what we like, and maybe what we don't like!

Other members who've taken part include Scubaseahorse, Oakbank, Daspy, David j and Mr Smart plus many more!🆒

If you'd like to take part in the community spotlight series, or you'd like to nominate a fellow member, send me or @Marc a DM anytime.:o

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Lovely read Gwyndy and Kate πŸ‘πŸ‘. Thanks for that. You can’t beat marmite πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚, just had it myself on a bagel 😁. Had many a childhood holiday in your neck of the woods Gwyndy πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Welcome to PP @Gwyndy :)
Great finding out a bit more about you. I like your tip about not always upgrading the newest/latest tech. I def need to learn that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Great read Gwyndy,

I must consider that option of purchasing good used/reburbished tech like a mac laptop rather than new.
I just remembered I copied a link that NannyOgg provided for used tech/phone purchasing.
Apple also sell refurb.

Re Hi Fi
My amplifier stopped working last week so I opened it up (it was turned off!), just poked some of the connections, removed some dust and its working again. But then to my dismay found that one of my old B&W speakers had blown a tweeter.
B&W stopped providing parts in 1996. But B&W advised of a repairer who works from home, was advised that the tweeter may be repairable, but I said best replace both tweeters which means re calibrating the cross over.
Thats my boring contribution over, sorry yawn...zzzzzzzzzzz

Have a great day Y'all
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Great to know more about you @Gwyndy. Thanks for that
I'll put some replies in one post for now, mainly the geeky ones.

Marc;29677:
Welcome to PP @Gwyndy :)
Great finding out a bit more about you. I like your tip about not always upgrading the newest/latest tech. I def need to learn that!

I'm not sure Kate would have agreed it was 'great' between 2003-2010, whilst I was in the process of purchasing all this stuff.
I was forever searching eBay, FreeAds, and Gumtree for just the 'right thing' - although I kind of struck lucky because one of the first things I bought, which is still the basis of one of my systems, was a pile of Linn 'LK' series stuff.

To be fair, once I reached the point I'd originally said I wanted to acheive, I stopped buying stuff, but it was a bit frantic at times.

Sadly, I'm going to have to replace the living room's HiFi and TV stands later this year, and Kate wants a 'HiFi Racks' wooden one :eek:
I'm hoping to talk her around to the benefits of bamboo.

Strutt G;29682:
Great read Gwyndy,

I must consider that option of purchasing good used/reburbished tech like a mac laptop rather than new.
I just remembered I copied a link that NannyOgg provided for used tech/phone purchasing.
Apple also sell refurb.

Re Hi Fi
My amplifier stopped working last week so I opened it up (it was turned off!), just poked some of the connections, removed some dust and its working again. But then to my dismay found that one of my old B&W speakers had blown a tweeter.
B&W stopped providing parts in 1996. But B&W advised of a repairer who works from home, was advised that the tweeter may be repairable, but I said best replace both tweeters which means re calibrating the cross over.

Have a great day Y'all

Now, I'm going to get all geeky.

I have parts of a B&W Nautilus speaker in my set-up, I can't remember what they are originally from, possibly 800s or 802Ds.
They are the adjustable 'spiked' feet. Probably rare now, but I need them to support my marble plinths.

Please let me know whether you get your B&W working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Have you had the tweeter out and checked it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXIsqqTOwSM
it may be repairable, I suppose it depends if the coil is intact. I wonder whether you'll be able to get hold of a repair kit.

Strutt G;29682:
Great read Gwyndy,

Apple also sell refurb.

Re Hi Fi

Have a great day Y'all
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Interesting spotlight..thanks for sharing Gwyndy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Thanks Gwyndy & Kate, I was in Carmarthen a few days ago on my way to Aberglasney gardens, the sun was shining and we enjoyed the area. πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Gwyndy;29700:

I have parts of a B&W Nautilus speaker in my set-up, I can't remember what they are originally from, possibly 800s or 802Ds.
They are the adjustable 'spiked' feet. Probably rare now, but I need them to support my marble plinths.
Please let me know whether you get your B&W working.

Hey Gwndy, Serious hi fi stuff and how did you get to form parts of a speaker in your set up, I'm not up to your level but interested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
woz;29704:
Have you had the tweeter out and checked it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXIsqqTOwSM
it may be repairable, I suppose it depends if the coil is intact. I wonder whether you'll be able to get hold of a repair kit.

Good thinking Woz.
I may give it a go for the fun of it and I did swap the tweeters round to check failure.
The repair chap advised the same as the cost effective option.
My thinking is that I replaced these tweeters way back and when one failed the other did just after.
Thats why I'm going down this avenue getting both sides done, they're a good speaker, but if you are real hi fi/er their not.
The chap does loudspeaker design, restoration and runs related training workshops.
​Something Gwyndy might be interested in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Do you have a multimeter?
Strutt G;29719:
Good thinking Woz.
I may give it a go out for the fun of it and I did swap the tweeters round to check failure.
The repair chap advised the same as the cost effective option.
My thinking is that I replaced these tweeters way back and when one failed the other did just after.
Thats why I'm going down this avenue getting both sides done, they're a good speaker, but if you are real hi fi/er their not.
The chap does loudspeaker design, restoration and runs related training workshops.
​Something Gwyndy might be interested in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I can get one?
Strutt G;29717:
Hey Gwndy, Serious hi fi stuff and how did you get to form parts of a speaker in your set up, I'm not up to your level but interested.

Sorry to disappoint you Strutt, they aren't any of the electronic bits, I have a set of the cast aluminum(?) height adjustable spikes that the are supposed to level the speakers out.

I can't remember when I got them, or why someone would be selling a set of them, but that's eBay for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I was thinking along the lines of testing the tweeter for continuity.
Strutt G;29730:
I can get one?