News

We’re partnering with Hive - save energy and strengthen your home security

• 20 October 2020
  • 31 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6304 replies

Hi everyone,

We’re really excited to announce a new partnership with our friends at Hive. 

If you haven’t heard of them, Hive makes smart home devices you can control from your phone. They’re probably best known for Hive Active Heating, their smart thermostat that helps people heat their homes. Here’s the sort of thing you can do with it:

• Turn your heating up, down, on or off from your smartphone

• Set up to 6 schedules per day for your heating and hot water

• Get notifications if you leave home and forget to turn off your heating

• Prevent your pipes from freezing with a smart feature called Frost Protection

It’s the most popular smart thermostat in the UK as well as being a Which? Best Buy. And we’re giving one away – for free! 

Feeling lucky?

All you have to do to win it is enter our prize draw. It ends on 2 November, so get your name into the hat now!

Looking ahead with Hive

Being able to control things from wherever you are has a couple of big benefits: you save energy and you get peace of mind. We’re really happy to be partnering with Hive, and to celebrate, we have a couple of great offers for you.

15% off Hive Active Heating (with pro installation)

If you don’t fancy your chances in our prize draw or just want to grab a smart thermostat today, you can get one with professional installation for 15% off.

Just head here and use this promotional code at the checkout – PRTPP15.

Hive smart thermostat

30% off the Hive Indoor Camera

With more of us gradually getting back to work, having a smart camera is a way of keeping an eye on things at home. The Hive camera does lots of cool things: 

• It sends you a notification when it detects people, motion or pets

• You can livestream in HD to see what’s happening anytime 

• Speak to people (or pets!) with two-way audio

To get 30% off, head here and use this promotional code at the checkout – PRTPP30.

Some of our community members have been testing out the smart thermostat over the last few weeks, and they’ll be sharing their experiences soon. 

There you have it – a couple of simple (but smart) devices to protect your home or get it ready for winter. Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below.

Check out this Hive thermostat review by Community Member @greenstripe :relaxed:

31 replies

Just been reading up on the Hive and comparing it to my Honeywell Evohome. Apart from them claiming to be first in the UK with Smart Heating controls, which clearly they weren’t, it looks good.

I’ve just read all the installation guides and don’t see any mention of if it cleverly modulates the boiler when the all the rooms are nearly at the set point. Running the boiler less in this scenario is a Honeywell party piece and saves a bunch of money. Much better than leaving it running at full belt, even though only one room takes a little heat.

Is that too geeky a distinction for here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We have a hive hub for heating and lights.  It's great. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@25 quid 

by modulate I presume you mean mark/space not modulate in the accepted analogue sense as of course not all boilers support modulation.

And why would the boiler run at full tilt anyway, if the system is calling for less heat than the boiler is producing (because for example valves are closing ) then the boiler stat will shut off the gas valve anyway so unless there is something much cleverer going on (I haven’t read any Honeywell literature about this yet so maybe there is?) then the argument isn’t cut and dried.

Badge +1

I wonder why its called Hive 🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I wonder why its called Hive 🤔 

Perhaps there weren’t many other catchy 4 letter words left that hadn’t been used for similar products...

Badge +1

🤣🤣..or the marketing manager had honey sandwiches for lunch. 🐝

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I bee feelin’ some bee jokes coming on…

What do barber bees use….a  honey comb...

@25 quid

by modulate I presume you mean mark/space not modulate in the accepted analogue sense as of course not all boilers support modulation.

And why would the boiler run at full tilt anyway, if the system is calling for less heat than the boiler is producing (because for example valves are closing ) then the boiler stat will shut off the gas valve anyway so unless there is something much cleverer going on (I haven’t read any Honeywell literature about this yet so maybe there is?) then the argument isn’t cut and dried.

It’ll either modulate the size of the flame or use mark/space as appropriate for the boiler. It’s more efficient not to pump unnecessary full temperature water round the house if there’s very little demand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I will stick with my Evohome system. Using it I can have heat in any room I want when I want without other rooms being heated and wasting energy. If there just me in the house in my study then why heat the rest of the house? All can be operated from the other side of the world if you are so inclined. Better still is to be able to switch it on, or a room on, when you are away from home on holiday and starting your journey back. I am six years in with Evohome and no bad issues.

That’s great @Scubaseahorse 

Would be v interested to know what’s good about it? 

I have my Nanoleaf Aurora’s coming on progressively around sunset, but automatically shifted based on the weather. One set has a nice gradually brightening sunset glow at the moment, even though it’s cloudy. The others will be along presently…

It’s amazing how they are shifting so much sooner each day at the moment! 

Full sound-to-light waves of light mode. Only for special occasions!

Just realised they the same age of my soon to be X iPhone X...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s great @Scubaseahorse 

Would be v interested to know what’s good about it? 

Easy to use in the home and in the app, we have ours linked to Alexa as well.  Can set heating and lights away from home.

Adding Hive radiator valves mean you can control each radiator individually and set schedules or boost them. A single radiator can call for heat and the boiler will start up even if the house thermostat temperature is reached (it's called Heat on Demand). You can use Google and Alexa to control as well as the Hive app or turn the radiator valves with your real hands if you like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@DJGShef  we haven't gone for the Hive radiator valves yet, but may in the future. 

Been there done that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Adding Hive radiator valves mean you can control each radiator individually and set schedules or boost them. A single radiator can call for heat and the boiler will start up even if the house thermostat temperature is reached (it's called Heat on Demand). You can use Google and Alexa to control as well as the Hive app or turn the radiator valves with your real hands if you like.

Heat on Demand is a deal breaker (in a good way), how does  the individual valve link with the boiler go? Presumably you have to have the whole system on this and every rad. (via a hub) for it to work?

HIVE PARTNERSHIP FEEDBACK

Dear marketing and cx team,

I have 4 bed home with 11 rads. I pay >£100 pcm. I’m new to pure and probably an ideal customer. Tech savy, young family, blah blah.

I have about 400 quid for a new thermostat. I was just going to get the old one replace by my electrican, but I saw your email. So I follow the link to the Hive page. I have questions about installation, the hub, router connection, sensor stuff etc. So I chat to a hive agent, who eventually gives me a number to call. I get connected to british gas, who then connects me to hive sales, who then spends about 9mins going between me and her supervisor to confirm the 15% off. She can’t find it. Then, the phone call is disconnected (she never bothered to get my name or number or details - call centre basics).

In all, I spend 30mins on the phone, no closer to my questions answers, and unlikely to take up your offer. Were I in your CX team, I’d be annoyed the sale wasn’t make when it was so easy too...

Hey @murrayjamesbruce, thanks for posting your feedback here in the Community :smiley:

Were they able to help with your questions related to the installation, hub etc? (separate to questions about the discount). 

Since the discount count is only online for Pure Planet, they may not have been in a position to advice about that! Hopefully the above post clearly outlines how to apply the discount, if your other questions were answered OK?

15% off Hive Active Heating (with pro installation)

Just use this code – PRTPP15 – and head here.

30% off the Hive Indoor Camera

To get 30% off, use this code – PRTPP30 – and head here.

Hey Nataly! Cool name!

Answers to your questions:

1. No
  2. Where does it say online? Marc just says “Here” with a hyperlink.

Cheers, M

Haha, thanks @murrayjamesbruce :grin:

Ok I just tried this out myself actually - I believe if you add the relevant product to your basket, you can enter the promo code at checkout - it should then look something like the below:

promo code for Hive

We can definitely take a look into your not receiving the help/advice you were after, so thank you for flagging this with us. What were the main questions you wanted answered, out of interest? 

Heat on Demand is a deal breaker (in a good way), how does  the individual valve link with the boiler go? Presumably you have to have the whole system on this and every rad. (via a hub) for it to work?

If you've invested in the Honeywell system I wouldn't recommend changing - it might cost you a year's worth of gas! 😉

As for heat on demand, I have all the radiators in the principal rooms with Hive valves and just TRVs in seldom used rooms and bedrooms (where we like a cool background temperature). With Hive, everything is controlled through a hub (like Evohome) so rooms are individually controlled and call for heat from the boiler when required (which, when all target temperatures are met, will turn off). The house/wall thermostat almost seems superfluous as the hub is a separate little plastic box. It may be an essential component though, I haven't checked.

We got all the parts and professional fitting as customers of British Gas (who own Hive) and purchased in several goes with discounts of up to 50% and a free Alexa Echo (great for radio but prefer to use the app to control the heating).

Stay warm! D

Questions:

1. How does installation work?
  2. How much would it cost me?

Answer:

Probably only hive can tell me this?

Personally, I found adding radiator valves very easy myself as a complete novice. However the hub, boiler controller and thermostat are probably best installed by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Questions:

1. How does installation work?
  2. How much would it cost me?

Answer:

Probably only hive can tell me this?

Hey @murrayjamesbruce 

The Active Heating page contains info around how much installation costs - I believe there are also installation guides available depending on the product (though this also depends on whether you choose self-install or an engineer to carry out this work). 

Other Members who’ve had installations done may also be able to share their experiences of how it worked? :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Been there done that. 

...and the Evohome system does work well. I had no issues installing it myself other than the builder who installed my central heating 20 years ago wired it up in an odd, and to my mind unsafe way, that caused some thought. For example, when you have switched off the circuit marked for the central heating why is it still live when you open the junction box?! Answer, because the original electrician took power from both the designated fuse as well as the house alarm system!

You don’t need to install an Evohome valve on every radiator but it makes sense unless your system does not have an overrun. Mine is old and doesn’t. This is where the boiler/pump may need to keep circulating  water when heating goes off to dissipate some heat. My downstairs WC radiator is what I use for that. The principle is simple, the TRV on the radiator decides heat is needed, it sends a wireless signal to the control panel saying “I want heat”, that triggers a relay which switches the boiler on. If you have a hot water tank system then there is a separate relay for that to open and close the three way valve.

The real benefit is the individual control for every room (bar my downstairs WC!). My boiler is 23 years old and despite BG telling me I will save money if I updated it, I certainly wouldn’t.