Pure Planet to cut prices for electricity and gas by 1 May

• Community Manager
  • 7593 replies
Hi everyone

We’ve just posted the latest on wholesale energy prices and what this means for Pure Planet Members.

The blog post has lots of detail and useful information, but here too is a summary for the Community.

The two main points:

1) We’ll be cutting prices for both electricity and gas by 1 May, 2020. That’s the kWh price for our Members’ rates. We’ll be providing full details of the price decreases by mid April.

2) As we’ve already posted in the Community, all our Members’ monthly Direct Debits will reduce by a third from April. This is thanks to our method of taking slightly lower payments in the warmer months (April to September) and slightly higher in the cooler months (October to March), which is done to take into account different usage patterns throughout the year. But, given the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s also good timing for anyone worried about their energy payments.

Our blog post also apologies for the delay in announcing the price cut. We’d originally planned to inform all Members in March, to take effect in April.

But when Covid-19 struck we had to spend a bit of time assessing our priorities. We’ve made sure that all Members on our Priority Services Register have been contacted, and of course like the rest of the UK we needed to ensure we were able to carry on as normal while the team all work from home - which we’ve done.

All Members will get an email in the next few days to remind you of the lower summer payments, and a second email in mid-April outlining the price cut and what it means to you.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below.

You may also like: How we’re supporting our Members during the Covid-19 pandemic

32 replies

Marc,
What are 11.949p Electricity price and 0.02573p for Gas I came across in the last few days?
David K.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi David, that's a bit vague, came across where?
(I wonder if they've been testing the price rollout, this happened once before where some customer's accounts were wrongly included)
and did you mean £0.02573, which makes more sense
dsk663;51125:
Marc,
What are 11.949p Electricity price and 0.02573p for Gas I came across in the last few days?
David K.
dsk663;51125:
Marc,
David K.

Hi @dsk663
Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting. 👍
Where did you come across this?
Marc,
I thought I saw it in a comment a couple of days ago. Will try to find it. Regards, David
Contactis from pure planet regarding cheaper tariff imminent .Have you heard when ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
mikehealey;51725:
Contactis from pure planet regarding cheaper tariff imminent .Have you heard when ?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the community.

Click on the blog at the bottom of the page to read in full.
Obviously OUR DD's are reducing from April for the warmer periods as explained when you joined re the 60% v 40% seasonal 6 month split.

Plus.....
​​​​​​​******************

Pure Planet is cutting prices

Third: we’re going to cut our prices for both gas and electricity on 1 May, if not before. That’s the kWh price for our Member’s rates. We’ll announce our new prices by mid April.

All the best
Is there any sign of Pure Planet lowering gas prices that are now at a 10yr all time low & passing on the savings to its customers as Igloo has recently done ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi there, read the blog Joe at the bottom of the screen... advising tariff reductions by the 1st of May with details to be advised shortly.....

​​​​​​​All the best
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
what contact did you get Mike?
mikehealey;51725:
Joe2019;51743:
Is there any sign of Pure Planet lowering gas prices that are now at a 10yr all time low & passing on the savings to its customers as Igloo has recently done ?

Hi @Joe2019
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.
Good question. I've merged your post into this existing thread about an upcoming price reduction.
​​​​​​​Hope this helps 🙂
mikehealey;51725:

Hi @mikehealey
Welcome to the community!
Nice one for posting.
The answer to your question is answered at the top of this thread, so I've merged your post into it. 👍
With respect, you need to let your customers know what the new rates are going to be as soon as possible.
I've just looked at the MSE comparison site and we could save £250-£350 a year , and that's going with one of the better known suppliers.
We moved to this house just over a year ago and swapped over to PP shortly afterwards to reduce our bills as it's a larger, older house and we're at home a lot. We're currently over £200 in debit,essentially because PP were late in implementing the increase in our DD amount and now our DD has been increased again
My parents are also with PP and if we go they go too and we won't be waiting until May 1st.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi David
I agree, I think the patience of many customers is wearing very thin and even more annoyingly because the weather is warming up, the time when the savings would have been most beneficial is rapidly passing.
On the plus side I hope that the delay is because they want to make the prices as competitive as possible...

​​​​​​​I hope this isn't turning into a game of Russian Roulette.

David71;51774:
With respect, you need to let your customers know what the new rates are going to be as soon as possible.
I've just looked at the MSE comparison site and we could save £250-£350 a year , and that's going with one of the better known suppliers.
We moved to this house just over a year ago and swapped over to PP shortly afterwards to reduce our bills as it's a larger, older house and we're at home a lot. We're currently over £200 in debit,essentially because PP were late in implementing the increase in our DD amount and now our DD has been increased again
My parents are also with PP and if we go they go too and we won't be waiting until May 1st.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
David71;51774:

Hi David 71

Welcome to the Pure Planet community!

We're all keen to know what the new tariff is going to be, but I doubt 'mid-April' will arrive over the long bank holiday weekend. I guess we'll find out sometime next week...

I'll confess to being confused by your comments about being in debit. It sounds as if you had an account review, and then a second one? An account review is intended to ensure your payments will cover your anticipated usage over the coming year, not necessarily to wipe out your debit balance immediately.

I'm sure Pure Planet know exactly what the delay in revising their tariffs is costing in terms of numbers switching away. They're also no doubt trying to assess the longer term viability of the company given the current uncertainties. It's a tricky time.

If you do decide to switch, my advice would be to avoid tariffs that insist on you having a smart meter installed - that was certainly the basis of many of the bargain offers a few weeks back.

​​​​​​​Stephen
stephenrand;51778:
Hi David 71

Welcome to the Pure Planet community!

We're all keen to know what the new tariff is going to be, but I doubt 'mid-April' will arrive over the long bank holiday weekend. I guess we'll find out sometime next week...

I'll confess to being confused by your comments about being in debit. It sounds as if you had an account review, and then a second one? An account review is intended to ensure your payments will cover your anticipated usage over the coming year, not necessarily to wipe out your debit balance immediately.

I'm sure Pure Planet know exactly what the delay in revising their tariffs is costing in terms of numbers switching away. They're also no doubt trying to assess the longer term viability of the company given the current uncertainties. It's a tricky time.

If you do decide to switch, my advice would be to avoid tariffs that insist on you having a smart meter installed - that was certainly the basis of many of the bargain offers a few weeks back.

​​​​​​​Stephen

PP reviewed our account in Feb' and notified us that they would increase the DD amounts , however the increased amount wasn't DD from our bank account in Feb' (as per the email) OR March either, so they've now reviewed again (at my request when I saw that the increased amount hadn't been debited in March) and increased the DD amounts again and have requested that the amount we're in debt by will be taken as extra payments spread over 6 months, ie on top of the new regular DD amount.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
stephenrand;51778:
Hi David 71
.......They're also no doubt trying to assess the longer term viability of the company given the current uncertainties. It's a tricky time.

​Stephen

Where did that comment come from Stephen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi David71
I'm not clear, is that good or bad as far as you are concerned?
It's unacceptable (in my opinion) to inform people that their direct debits are going to change and then not proceed (for whatever reason). Furthermore it breaks the direct debit guarantee, because if they inform you that they are going to take x amount that's what they should do. Maybe they asked for your acceptance the new amount?
Anyway, my point is if you'd prefer a tighter or longer schedule I'm sure they will agree, but I'd wait a short while to see what the new prices are.
David71;51788:
PP reviewed our account in Feb' and notified us that they would increase the DD amounts , however the increased amount wasn't DD from our bank account in Feb' (as per the email) OR March either, so they've now reviewed again (at my request when I saw that the increased amount hadn't been debited in March) and increased the DD amounts again and have requested that the amount we're in debt by will be taken as extra payments spread over 6 months, ie on top of the new regular DD amount.
Hi Woz, well I'd rather they'd reviewed the account sooner as at the beginning of the winter the DD amount was £86 (with £57 over warmer months). They did the review on Feb 9th with increases to £114 and £76, but I noticed the new higher amount wasn't taken in March.
I asked them to review the account again and they've emailed apologising that the increased amount wasn't taken and suggested increasing to £128 and £85 plus pay off the amount of the debit on the account over 6 months.

I need to sit down and go through our usage over the last 6 months and 12 months and see if these increased amounts are realistic.
It's difficult because we've had cavity wall insulation installed a month ago, and apparently we had huge cavities at the corners of the house.
The bloke was standing for around 20 minutes filling each one and said they used twice as much material as they usually do for a 3 bed semi'. I've also gone round and filled gaps under kitchen units where it used to blow a hooly and the pans in the drawers were always icy!

Also reduced the overnight min temp' to 15 c rather than 16 c ( pre Cavity wall if the house got too cold overnight the external walls seemed to be icy until about 4pm. Feels like the CWI has improved that so next winter we may see further improvements)
​​​​​​​My wife feels the cold terribly as soon as she sits still even with 3 layers on, but we never have the 'stat above 20c and the TRV's in the bedrooms are never above 2.5.
Suppose we can just see how it goes.Rather have the account in credit than in debt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
woz;51798:
Where did that comment come from Stephen?

​​​​​​​Hi Woz

Nowhere specific - I imagine every company in the world is trying to assess the implications of the current crisis, when it will end and what it's impact will on customers, markets, resource prices etc. And basically no-one knows. That's all I meant.

Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks Stephen, I asked because it read as though you'd heard something specific.
stephenrand;51812:
​​​​​​​Hi Woz

Nowhere specific - I imagine every company in the world is trying to assess the implications of the current crisis, when it will end and what it's impact will on customers, markets, resource prices etc. And basically no-one knows. That's all I meant.

Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Let's hope we hear soon. As I've received a few emails recently from comparison sites advising that I can save up to £150 with reputable companies who are also offering green energy. I don't wanna leave PP, but .........
Good luck with your reduced usage @David71. Sounds like your changes should make a big difference...
Been with Pure Planet for just over 2 years, problem free and to date the prices have been competitive enough to keep me from switching away. Now though I'm looking at really quite considerable savings should I choose to switch...PP need to provide some detail on the new prices very soon.
25 quid;51822:
Good luck with your reduced usage @David71. Sounds like your changes should make a big difference...

Thanks 25 quid. I hope so!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Blenheim;51826:
Been with Pure Planet for just over 2 years, problem free and to date the prices have been competitive enough to keep me from switching away. Now though I'm looking at really quite considerable savings should I choose to switch...PP need to provide some detail on the new prices very soon.

My guess is 'mid-April' is quite soon, especially if you take into account working days... the next working day is the 14th...