Pure Planet's radical new parental leave policy

We had some big news at Pure Planet recently because we’ve decided to do something radically different.

What we’ve done shouldn’t be unusual. It should be perfectly normal.

We’re treating men and women equally.

More precisely, we’re treating parents equally.

Maternity and paternity leave is one of those traditional policy areas we wanted to take a proper, modern look at.

New parents now get what we think is a much fairer deal. We took the normal statutory maternity rules, enhanced them and then applied them to both men and women, creating an agenda-setting, equal and unified parental policy.

Steven Day, one of our co-founders at Pure Planet, says “we want to create a better world for our children. It’s natural that we would want our team to enjoy equal rights when it comes to spending time with their families too.”

“Genuinely treating people equally is fundamental. But we are only one of a small number of businesses to offer this benefit in the UK. We hope by doing so we can encourage the type of cultural change that is needed when it comes to parental leave. And we’ll continue to explore other ways to improve as an employer.”

We’re the first energy supplier in Britain to have an equal parental policy for all staff regardless of gender, sexual orientation or how they became a parent.

So, now, if you work for Pure Planet and your partner gives birth, adopts, or becomes a parent by surrogacy, you are entitled to take our full parental benefit.

We told Wera Hobhouse the MP for Bath our news and she said "It's fantastic to see a Bath based business introduce such a forward thinking employment policy.
It gives new parents entire flexibility over their childcare arrangements, and sets a real example for gender equality.
It's yet another example of why this city is such a great (and progressive!) place to live and work."

What do you think of this news? Should this be the norm for new parents? What other social norms should we be challenging?

Read the whole blog post here

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
This is what i like about you people. Not scared to model your business on what is simple and right. This is indeed good news but the policy to deal with end of life to a family member should also be considered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
PP always seem sooooo cutting edge ✂️and determined to bring things into the 21st century👍👏. This is seriously what caught my eye when I was considering switching, and browsing different providers; I got a really good vibe from the whole PP thing.

Said it before, it’s not just about providing fuel to the “numbers” with PP. The customer really feels like they’re treated as they’d expect to be treated, and that the provider really does value them.

I think this next radical move re the parental leave🍼👶🤱, especially as the first energy provider to do so, is highly commendable👍, and I’m sure will be yet another sign that you’re a company who really does care, not only about your customers, but also for all your staff too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Niall_PP;6115:
We had some big news at Pure Planet recently because we’ve decided to do something radically different.

What we’ve done shouldn’t be unusual. It should be perfectly normal.

We’re treating men and women equally.

More precisely, we’re treating parents equally.

Maternity and paternity leave is one of those traditional policy areas we wanted to take a proper, modern look at.

New parents now get what we think is a much fairer deal. We took the normal statutory maternity rules, enhanced them and then applied them to both men and women, creating an agenda-setting, equal and unified parental policy.

Steven Day, one of our co-founders at Pure Planet, says “we want to create a better world for our children. It’s natural that we would want our team to enjoy equal rights when it comes to spending time with their families too.”

“Genuinely treating people equally is fundamental. But we are only one of a small number of businesses to offer this benefit in the UK. We hope by doing so we can encourage the type of cultural change that is needed when it comes to parental leave. And we’ll continue to explore other ways to improve as an employer.”

We’re the first energy supplier in Britain to have an equal parental policy for all staff regardless of gender, sexual orientation or how they became a parent.

So, now, if you work for Pure Planet and your partner gives birth, adopts, or becomes a parent by surrogacy, you are entitled to take our full parental benefit.

We told Wera Hobhouse the MP for Bath our news and she said "It's fantastic to see a Bath based business introduce such a forward thinking employment policy.
It gives new parents entire flexibility over their childcare arrangements, and sets a real example for gender equality.
It's yet another example of why this city is such a great (and progressive!) place to live and work."

What do you think of this news? Should this be the norm for new parents? What other social norms should we be challenging?

Read the whole blog post here

This is really good, just came across this thread via Google (no kidding!)

So, just curious, as a dad, how many weeks of paternity leave are you allowed to take at PP? I believe the statutory rule is two, which seems pretty low to be honest.

More should follow your example! Times have changed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Forward thinking. I hope other companies will follow your lead. 👍
Gabolino;21792:
This is really good, just came across this thread via Google (no kidding!)

So, just curious, as a dad, how many weeks of paternity leave are you allowed to take at PP? I believe the statutory rule is two, which seems pretty low to be honest.

More should follow your example! Times have changed!

Hey @Gabolino
It's six weeks at full pay, and six weeks at half pay. :)
Agree that statutory is pretty poor. Is that what you get?
We hope that many more companies will indeed follow our lead!
Hi @Gabolino

My second was born in June last year. And I was able to take 6 weeks off. I could have taken longer but kids are expensive 😉

I was very lucky to be able to enjoy the whole of June and half of July off (I'm not sure if you remember but the weather then was amazing! there was also the World Cup and Wimbledon)

I spent a lot of time with our first daughter, who was 2 then, either playing in the garden or going on day trips - we live in Bristol and during the summer there is no end of activities for toddlers.

Being able to take such an extended break from work was amazing for our family - though going from a family of 3 to 4 comes with its own difficulties - both physical and mental for everyone involved. First children also have their own difficulties for new parents, adjustments periods vary and there is a weight of expectation for you to feel blessed and lucky when you might be feeling varying emotions of overwhelming dread or loneliness. It's all normal and its important to talk about it.

I'm very lucky to work somewhere that I feel so supported no matter what I'm going through in my personal life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You timed your second perfectly Niall, to coincide with Wim 🎾😂😂😂👍

A lovely read tho 👍👏
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Niall_PP;21875:
Hi @Gabolino

My second was born in June last year. And I was able to take 6 weeks off. I could have taken longer but kids are expensive 😉

I was very lucky to be able to enjoy the whole of June and half of July off (I'm not sure if you remember but the weather then was amazing! there was also the World Cup and Wimbledon)

I spent a lot of time with our first daughter, who was 2 then, either playing in the garden or going on day trips - we live in Bristol and during the summer there is no end of activities for toddlers.

Being able to take such an extended break from work was amazing for our family - though going from a family of 3 to 4 comes with its own difficulties - both physical and mental for everyone involved. First children also have their own difficulties for new parents, adjustments periods vary and there is a weight of expectation for you to feel blessed and lucky when you might be feeling varying emotions of overwhelming dread or loneliness. It's all normal and its important to talk about it.

I'm very lucky to work somewhere that I feel so supported no matter what I'm going through in my personal life.

This is a brilliant account. 6 weeks is great, you must have had a great time.

I find this so interesting

there is a weight of expectation for you to feel blessed and lucky when you might be feeling varying emotions of overwhelming dread or loneliness.

Why loneliness?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Marc;21872:
Hey @Gabolino
It's six weeks at full pay, and six weeks at half pay. :)
Agree that statutory is pretty poor. Is that what you get?
We hope that many more companies will indeed follow our lead!

This is so good. I'm moving to Bath ;)

As far as I'm aware I'm on the statutory scheme, which is 1-2 weeks at £150 a week - doesn't even cover nappies!!

I have a meeting with HR soon to find out more (we're a startup so not all policies have been fully agreed yet. I'm going to use Pure Planet as a great model to follow, no doubt about that.

Baby due in May, first one @Niall_PP so it's all new (and scary)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Gabolino,great to read your post - with all the ‘political gloom’ around it’s so refreshing to read your uplifting ‘REAL STORY’. 👍🥳
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi gab
Congratulations to you both!
The first 35 years are the worst, plain sailing after that....
(They stay at home 'cos they can't afford to move out!)
only joking- great news!
Gabolino;22249:
This is so good. I'm moving to Bath ;)

As far as I'm aware I'm on the statutory scheme, which is 1-2 weeks at £150 a week - doesn't even cover nappies!!

I have a meeting with HR soon to find out more (we're a startup so not all policies have been fully agreed yet. I'm going to use Pure Planet as a great model to follow, no doubt about that.

Baby due in May, first one @Niall_PP so it's all new (and scary)