News

Pure Planet launches new Green Fixed tariff and summer special

Pure Planet launches new Green Fixed tariff and summer special
  • Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

Hi everyone

We’ve announced a new Pure Planet 100% Green Fixed tariff today with a summer special, and I wanted to tell you a little more about it here in the community.

For a typical dual fuel Member using the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec and 12,000kWh of gas a year, the new fixed tariff will cost £842 a year.

When is the new tariff coming in?

Our current fixed tariff has been retired and replaced with a new fixed rate tariff from today - 7 July 2020.

What is the new tariff?

The unit rates have increased for electricity, and decreased for gas across all regions, compared to our previous 12m fixed tariff.

Check out this FAQ to compare the fixed rates against our variable rate for your region.

The reason for the electricity increase is that wholesale rates have been rising since their dramatic low at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. The rates are:

Pure Planet prices 7 July 2020 100% Green Fixed Tariff

What is the summer special?

The Membership fee will be lower, giving Members 12 months for the price of 10. 

It’s available to both dual fuel and electricity-only Members, but it applies only to this new tariff, and technically means a monthly Membership fee of £6.67 per fuel, including VAT at 5%. 

This will be displayed in the app, and the quote. Excluding VAT, the Membership fee is £6.33 per fuel. This will be displayed on statements.

Will the fixed tariff have exit fees?

Yes. The exit fee is £30 per fuel. A fixed tariff gives our Members peace of mind, but it also means we’ll need to make sure we cover our costs. As with all fixed tariffs, exit fees don’t apply in the last 49 days. We’ve added an extra day, so there are no exit fees in the last 50 days.

Why are rates different in different regions of the UK?

The difference in the cost across each geographical region is down to the cost of transporting gas and electricity to your home.

The costs are determined and applied by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and we pass these on at cost.

We don’t make money on the transport costs of getting energy to your home.

Will the discount for dual fuel still apply?

Yes, Members with electricity and gas will still get our dual fuel discount of £30 per year.

Can anyone join this tariff and get the promotion?

Yes, anyone joining Pure Planet from 7 July 2020 will get the choice of the new tariff or our 100% Green Variable tariff.

Existing Members can change to this tariff, too, through ‘Tariff and usage’ in their PP app or web account. Exit fees will apply if you’re already in a fixed contract period.

Does Pure Planet offer any other promotions?

Yes! All Members who refer friends and family to Pure Planet share £50. There’s no limit on the number of people you can refer. 

And anyone who switches to our new tariff from the Money Saving Expert price comparison website will also get a £30 bill credit - that’s £15 on your first statement, and £15 on your third statement. 

Check out all our current promotions here.

You may also like: Pure Planet’s latest wholesale energy prices blog post

That’s it for now! Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below.

33 replies

I see the comparison you linked to still has the regions in different orders just to keep us on our toes. 😜

Good to see my original fixed rate is still a good deal…

BTW, not a fan of the ugly images that this new platform swaps in in place of my device’s default emojis. I’m sure you’ll say it’s deliberate to give consistency for all visitors, but looked at the other way, it is inconsistent for each visitor compared to what they saw when writing the post...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On my projection then the new Fv2 is approx £14 more cheaper than Fv1 and that includes the 10/12 membership offer saving £32 inc vat. Fv1 is cheaper by approx £18, based only on consumption and without the discounted membership. So not a true like for a like, but an overview. 

I’m pondering on the membership concept on what was the original inception idea to now.

On my projection then the new Fv2 is approx £14 more cheaper than Fv1 and that includes the 10/12 membership offer saving £32 inc vat. Fv1 is cheaper by approx £18, based only on consumption and without the discounted membership. So not a true like for a like, but an overview. 

I’m pondering on the membership concept on what was the original inception idea to now.

Aha, I didn’t consider the membership discount. Oh well, I’m locked into a deal now anyway. This tariff tango is what I hoped to dodge by the previous (and now abandoned) ethos of PP… 

Onwards in search of cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese%3F

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

"Exit fees will apply if you’re already in a fixed contract period."

I would've thought these exit fees would only be charged if you left PP.

Shouldn't have to pay these if you're only switching tariffs with PP., especially as the 1st fixed tariff has now been discontinued.

Surely these could be waived for loyal customers????

anyway....just worked it out, and because I am a high electricity user , even taking into account the membership discount and exit fees, I will still be better off staying on the Fv1!

Shouldn't have to pay these if you're only switching tariffs with PP., especially as the 1st fixed tariff has now been discontinued.

Hey @Angelabikerbabe I hear you on this. We’ve had lots of feedback on this exact point already. I know @woz and@Scubaseahorse (maybe others too) have also said we ought to drop the exit fee for Members who switch within PP. 

There’d be some kind of safeguard needed to prevent us from going out of business…. maybe the 12 months returns to ‘zero’ if you see what I mean.

Anyway, as a mere, lowly community manager it’s not my call, obvs! But I have made PP aware of this. Don’t think we’re not listening, ‘cos we are. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @Angelabikerbabe I hear you on this. We’ve had lots of feedback on this exact point already. I know @woz and@Scubaseahorse (maybe others too) have also said we ought to drop the exit fee for Members who switch within PP. 

There’d be some kind of safeguard needed to prevent us from going out of business…. maybe the 12 months returns to ‘zero’ if you see what I mean.

Anyway, as a mere, lowly community manager it’s not my call, obvs! But I have made PP aware of this. Don’t think we’re not listening, ‘cos we are. :thumbsup:

Thanks @Marc 👍

@Marc I wouldn’t be against the 12months returning to zero as it is a new contract that would be entered into. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Angelabikerbabe I hear you on this. We’ve had lots of feedback on this exact point already. I know @woz and@Scubaseahorse (maybe others too) have also said we ought to drop the exit fee for Members who switch within PP. 

@Marc I'm glad to hear you are listening about the exit fee for switching tariffs within PP, we aren't leaving, we just switching to what you have on offer.

@25 quid yes, I too was hoping to avoid the 'tariff tango' and having another fixed tariff presented so soon is a little disconcerting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve made a handy excel spreadsheet with all PP tariffs, if anyone wants a copy feel free to DM me and I’ll link to in my google drive.

Illustrative screenshot shown below.

I’ve double checked my figures but I’m only almost human so E&OE applies -this is not official PP.

Pure Planet Prices July 2020 Spreadsheet Screenshot

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Am curious about “the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec and 12,000kWh of gas a year” seems low. I must check it out. My consumption is nearer  3,500kWh electricity and 16,500kWH gas per annum for a detached 4 bedroom house 23 years old. Mind you my old boiler (that is not my wife incidentally!) is 23 years old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@G4RHL we have a 3 bed detached bungalow and that estimate is just about spot on for us.  Two adults and a 6 year old gas boiler. 

It's interesting to see how different peoples consumption varies.

That is very cool @woz :sunglasses:

Only almost human?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good piece of work @woz 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Found the site:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/infographic-bills-prices-and-profits

Whilst my consumption is greater than their average figures my actual cost is commensurate with their average. Must PP ensuring that!!

As I am an ancient let me remind you all that electricity was a lot more expensive in the 70s and 80s comparative to income at the time. About three times what it costs today I believe. I bought a new car in 1981 for £4,000, which is £15,434 in today’s money and an equivalent car today would be about £11,000. And just to cheer you all up in the 70s we had interest rates of 17% on our mortgages and inflation of well over 20% and my annual income was about £1250 toward the end of the 70s. I prefer today’s prices!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Am curious about “the Ofgem average of 2,900kWh of elec and 12,000kWh of gas a year” seems low. I must check it out. My consumption is nearer  3,500kWh electricity and 16,500kWH gas per annum for a detached 4 bedroom house 23 years old. Mind you my old boiler (that is not my wife incidentally!) is 23 years old.

hi Richard

One would have thought the Ofgem TDCV’s can only head downwards in general as the nation becomes better insulated, but then the methodology used has to suit the dnos and big energy.

It’s quite interesting  to look at the progression 2016 to 2017 figures compared to 2019-2020, the gas hasn’t changed much (apart from med high 2016-17)  but the Electricity has. 

All I can say is you’re only using 16,500kWh for a 4 bed det. you must be very well insulated. especially considering the inefficient old boiler you’re living with (I’m claiming immunity for that sentence).
Depending on the efficiency of said old boiler, it might be worth considering replacement if it becomes unreliable, but then if you’re unlucky it could last another 20 years...:robot:

Ofgem 2016-2017 TDCVs
Ofgem 2019-2020 TDCV’s

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

House is a standard 4 bedroom detached house built 1997, has double glazing (replaced 10 years ago with the new standard, and cavity insulation.  What helps is the heating control on every radiator with every room being a zone on its own and heat is only called for by the room needing it. Or using my phone I boost it if needed.

It ain’t economical to change the boiler and will cost me more. I might save as much as £300 per annum in fuel cost if I am lucky but it would take nearly 10 years to get that money back and then I have to replace the boiler again. From what I am told today’s boilers are not likely to last as long as yesterday’s.

I accept I may be on borrowed time but am hanging on for I ought also to change the radiators at the same time. Boiler manufacturers are working on new boilers to meet Government green requirements as it is hoped no new houses will have gas boilers in 5 years’ time. The replacement may by hydrogen gas which is plentiful and clean and the existing infrastructure for natural gas can handle hydrogen. Some of the leading makers are working towards dual fuel in the sense that when natural gas goes the boiler is easily converted to hydrogen. The other alternative is electricity but my bank account would have a heart attack if I installed a gas boiler.

Perhaps PP could be one step ahead and be ready for supplying hydrogen!

Perhaps PP could be one step ahead and be ready for supplying hydrogen!

I read up on the idea of stuffing it down the gas pipes (At low concentration) recently. Seems like the easy way forwards to me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Add a couple of drops of oxygen to the hydrogen coming in and we’d have a supply of water as well!

Clever. We could use it to make beer on tap!

Hi everyone, 

Just to let you know Pure Planet’s latest blog post discussing wholesale energy prices is out now! 

It takes a look at:

• wholesale prices rising, as the world emerges from lockdown
  • retail tariff prices increasing by 2.9% on average in the past three months
  • the positive steps in renewables’ contribution to the grid - with the UK going without coal for 67 days!
  • our partnerships with financial charities and where to find independent advice 

You  can check it out here:thumbsup:

Well, I was writing a whole post, including quote, but it’s vanished and the option to restore it doesn't seem to exist.

We use roughly 5400 kWh per annum, plus approximately 650 litres of heating oil, 2 people, 2 bedroom bungalow - I have no idea where OFGEM get their usage figures from.

As you can probably guess, an increase in the cost of electricity is the last thing I need to see - ah well, that's what I get for not signing up to the previous fixed contract, I guess I will have to see how things develop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, I was writing a whole post, including quote, but it’s vanished and the option to restore it doesn't seem to exist.

On life, that happened to me yesterday Gwynd! I hit “back” but whole thing vanished!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Lets not mention usage as mine is a total of 26000 kwh elec and 20000 lts of oil. Preying for the day when he who signs the cheque says i can get some solar and wind generation ideas up and running.

Lets not mention usage as mine is a total of 26000 kwh elec and 20000 lts of oil. 

:astonished:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just seen this on MSE website/email