Pure Planet joins Stop Hate for Profit Campaign

• 1 July 2020
  • 4 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6192 replies

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that we’ve taken the decision to stop all advertising on Facebook and Instagram.

The reason is to put pressure on Facebook to take steps to prevent hate speech being posted on its social media platforms.

Pure Planet co-founder Steven Day said: “We have no tolerance of hate speech and are concerned that not enough is being done to stop it on Facebook’s sites.

“Social media platforms play an important role in our lives but Facebook must live up to its responsibilities to protect users and society as a whole and stop publishing racist, false, harmful and offensive materials. They must enforce these policies fairly and across the board.

“We don’t have the advertising budgets of Unilever or Coca-Cola, but we do have a voice.

“The bulk of Facebook’s revenue from advertising comes from their ‘long tail’ of smaller advertisers. We think businesses and advertisers of all sizes can send an important message to Facebook  and we encourage other modest-spending advertisers to use their voices too.”

Obviously Pure Planet isn’t the only company pulling its advertising from Facebook.

The BBC is reporting today that more than 400 companies have now joined a campaign called ‘Stop Hate for Profit’. 

Steven added: “Improved controls to protect people are long overdue on Facebook’s properties and we back the Stop Hate For Profit campaign in making this call. We’ll continue to monitor Facebook’s position and review our stance as appropriate.”

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well done, great decision. I for one have abandoned all social media as it only seems to cause friction with what seems an ever increasing number of political , racist and jump on the band wagon posts on all sides of an argument closely followed by a stream of adverts i would never use and simply dont trust. Cant say im missing any of them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I couldn’t agree more, I think we should post our opinions on facebook.

Userlevel 3

Well Done Pure Planet

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well done, great decision. I for one have abandoned all social media as it only seems to cause friction with what seems an ever increasing number of political , racist and jump on the band wagon posts on all sides of an argument closely followed by a stream of adverts i would never use and simply dont trust. Cant say im missing any of them.

same same, groups of peeps who just seem to get cloned in their on own group way of thinking.