Hot Topic News

Pure Planet is ceasing to trade

Pure Planet is ceasing to trade
  • Community Manager
  • 7587 replies

Due to the global energy crisis, record high wholesale energy costs, and the restrictions placed on us by Ofgem’s Price Cap, we are unable to keep operating Pure Planet. 

This is a situation which has affected 12 other supplier businesses this year and, sadly, we expect more will also go out of business. The Government and Ofgem, our regulator, expects Pure Planet to sell energy at a price much less than it currently costs to buy. This is unsustainable, so we have had to make the difficult decision to cease trading. 

Under Ofgem’s safety net, all our Members are well protected. Ofgem has appointed Shell Energy as the new supplier for all Pure Planet’s Members. 

Here’s what happens next for our Members:

• Shell Energy began supplying all our Members on 17 October 2021. Your energy account will be transferred to them, and there will be no interruption to your supply at all during or after the transfer.
  • Shell Energy will be in touch with you in the next few days
  • Any credit balance you have with us will be protected and carried over to Shell Energy
  • You will be protected by the energy price cap with Shell Energy
  • Once the transfer is complete, you can stay with Shell Energy or switch away without incurring any exit fees

Members can access more information about the transfer to Shell Energy on their website.

This is a well rehearsed and thoroughly tested process. If you think you need to contact us, we’d appreciate you considering whether you really need to at this time.

Due to the volume of contact we’re already seeing right now, our response times are a lot longer than we would like.

Our team is working very hard to try and get through everything, but this is a difficult time for them - please be patient and kind with all Members of our team if you are in contact with them. 

Updated Monday 18 Oct

Ofgem has appointed Shell Energy as the new supplier for all Pure Planet’s Members. 

More:

179 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sad day indeed for all those at PP hq. 

I truely hope you get sorted soon and find other employment. 

Sad. Good luck to all staff at PP

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc and all at PP 

How very very sad, I wish you all well.

Yet more victims of a completely ducked up government energy strategy (if there ever was a strategy, it’s too strong a word for their lack of planning).

This was so avoidable.

I feel for you all.

Userlevel 2

Unfortunate.

Best of luck to all staff affected by this.

So why is this message not  on your main website and still accepting quotes?

It says to give a meter reading, any ideas how i give a meter reading from a smart meter that hasn’t been commission yet, even though it was installed weeks ago?!.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Our Marc, Our Nat, and our Mads, 

The three of you have been fantastic. Truly feel for you, I truly believed it may not come to this. Sadly it has. 

Marc, you joined when I did, and it was such fun to be part of this community. You made every day fab. 

Nat, you were just about to take the lead and get stuck into putting your own ideas into what was established. 

Poor Mads, you were only just beginning, and I know you said it was a perfect job for you. 

I wish all three of you the very best in finding what’s in store for each of you next. 

I very much doubt ANY future energy provider will be like this one was. From day one, it was so warm, welcoming and friendly. The concept was very unique. It truly worked. 

This saddens me more than I imagined it ever would. Warmest hugs to our Marc, our Nat, and our Mads. xxx

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So why is this message not  on your main website and still accepting quotes?

@Danfreeth88 

Because they haven’t got round to putting the placeholder on the website,  it’s in progress and it will be there very shortly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The not unexpected news. Sorry for all the staff who are affected, been nice meeting you all virtually here and having fun with fellow Pure Planeters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev  triple like for your post, I agree with every word.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Bless you our Wozeeta. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Cheers everyone. Very sad.

Stephen

Userlevel 2

Sorry for you guys at PP. Angry at BP for pulling the plug.

@Marc Very sad for you and all your colleagues. I have not been on the forum for a while but it was always great chatting over things like EVs etc with you. All the best for you all going forward, a great team!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sad news indeed, best wishes to all the Pure Planet team, I hope you get yourselves sorted with alternative employment soon.

And of course best wishes to all fellow community members

Userlevel 2

Thanks for everything pure planet and I’m so sorry to you all. You were trying to do such good things. Hope everyone in this community can stay in touch somehow. Whole crisis is getting scary. Not actually convinced the bigger names are all safe either. Nothing can touch this government and it’s incompetence.

Why would BP keep pumping money into a money pit, PP have never turned a profit and have realised it wouldn’t in the next 5/10 years. So had no choice but to pul the plug. They will also be taking a big financial hit owning 24%

As others have said, I am so sorry that your brilliant company is having to close. You are unique in the market, I have been with you since 2018, and this is such a sad day. But my sadness in losing the first energy supplier I've been happy with is eclipsed by the sadness for you, the staff, and for the demise of a really innovative business. So much for "market competition"; now we will all get shunted into one or other of the big six tentacles - that we tried to escape and that we hoped PP was helping us escape.

I'm also really angry that we have an incompetent government that will increase our misery by only supporting its allies - big business - whilst sitting on its hands in every other respect.

Minimise investment costs, maximise profit, screw the customers that now have no real choice - that's the government mantra.

Wishing all the staff at PP good luck finding another job quickly, you deserved better than this.

Userlevel 2

Very sad news in the last half hour today.

Particularly for PP and 'The Community' staff.

I am a repeat switcher of many years (since retiring from work in 2012) and learning to be a 'Silver Surfer', and more 'techy'.

I've not come across such a friendly, yet professional, team in the UK energy market before since joining very late in 2020.

My good but cheap fixed tariff was due to expire in very early January 2022 and is currently about a month in credit.

Have taken timed manuel meter readings @ just now, and will just sit and wait to see who Ofgem sends me too.

By-Bye to Nat, Marc and Mads and all other staff.

Just remember, it's all the fault of 'Wattybotty'. 

Userlevel 1

Very sorry for you all.  An extremely well organised and professional online customer service, vastly better than other big names - indeed Gold Standard for others to aspire to.       Extremely disappointed with BP though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Why would BP keep pumping money into a money pit, PP have never turned a profit and have realised it wouldn’t in the next 5/10 years. So had no choice but to pul the plug. They will also be taking a big financial hit owning 24%

@Danfreeth88 

Maybe you should send them a sympathy card?

Here’s one

Sad news but thanks @Marc for a sensibly worded statement and for your input over the years. Likewise to Nataly & Mads. Good luck to the three of you for the future. I note that Nataly and Mads appear sort of “disconnected “ from the forum, they don’t appear when I type @ etc. Please forward my good wishes on.

@Danfreeth88

Maybe you should send them a sympathy card?

Here’s one

What a childish response, a real shame for the staff, but you can’t expect BP to back a company that can’t turn a profit. Not there fault (I fill up at Tesco aswell so not a customer of their)

I note the app will not run at present, been suspended,  so can’t send a meter reading in as suggested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@G4RHL 

Nataly and Mads are still there, you just have to type their names, they won't appear because they haven't yet posted in this thread