Pure Planet community - welcome, introduce youself, getting started

Show first post

199 replies

Hi, I joined because it was the cheapest tariff. I have joined the community forum because the link talked of rewards!! What can I win?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Mikead80, Welcome to the community your already a winner and clean energy too so that's a win win. Scroll up to Marc's message and click on Decembers Points. Once you have this page look for the link on how the points work. Good luck
Hi Marc, Loving this Pure Planet App and that the energy we’re using is green energy. I run a hotel so in my downtime love spending family time with kids n dogs... mainly dogs lol
Userlevel 5
Badge
Just signed up for Pure Planet and presently awaiting switchover.

I hesitated over the small company aspects, lots of them seem to disappear relatively quickly, but the costs compare well and the green carbon neutral approach with no exit fees helped to make the choice over the 'usual' energy companies easier.

Already referred a friend too 🆙
Mikead80;21199:
Hi, I joined because it was the cheapest tariff. I have joined the community forum because the link talked of rewards!! What can I win?

Welcome to the community @Mikead80
Great to have you with us :)
Here's some info about the community rewards.
Hope that helps. Happy to keep chatting here of course 🆙
SolarKnight;21232:
Hi Marc, Loving this Pure Planet App and that the energy we’re using is green energy. I run a hotel so in my downtime love spending family time with kids n dogs... mainly dogs lol

Welcome to the community @SolarKnight
Thanks for posting, and great username :o

How many dogs have you got?! This thread about favourite pets and animals started by @Bev may be of interest 😉
Jenam93;21237:
Just signed up for Pure Planet and presently awaiting switchover.

I hesitated over the small company aspects, lots of them seem to disappear relatively quickly, but the costs compare well and the green carbon neutral approach with no exit fees helped to make the choice over the 'usual' energy companies easier.

Already referred a friend too 🆙

Fantastic! Welcome to the community @Jenam93
We're a friendly bunch here. And super-helpful too 🙂
We have 2 Cocokerpoos, Coco & Layla they were twins at birth but are completely different personalities! Coco loves Tennis balls and Layla likes disappearing through bushes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
OMG adore Cockerpoos! How cute you have twins 🐾💕🐾. Even better they love tennis 🎾🎾🎾🎾😂👍.

I’d forgotten re the pets 🐩🐈🐠🐝🦆🐶🐱🐰🐭thread Marc 👍. Thanks.

We also have a cookery 🍝🥗🌮🍕🥦🍓thread, Solar, where you can browse members recipes and things they’ve cooked, or make suggestions of your own👍.

Also a Wimbledon thread, which is all Murray and Aussie Open at mo 😂but will maybe interest Coco 🐾🎾😂😂😂😂😂😂👍. Welcome aboard!
Hi Pure Planeteers! (do we have a collective name yet?)

I've joined recently and think one of the things I really like about Pure Planet is that the membership fee is separate from our usage. Let me know if I have this right in my head...

If other suppliers make their money from marking-up the usage, would that mean they rely on us using energy to earn? Whereas with Pure Planet I feel like I can challenge myself to use less energy at home without affecting the organisation's sustainability as my supplier.

It's a tiny thing (and I may not have understood it properly so please do correct me if this is wrong!) but I like the freedom of having a fixed membership cost and the chance to challenge my level of energy usage without negatively affecting my supplier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Leah
you make a good point. I hadn't thought of it in that way.
Of course whichever company you're with you should be constantly challenging your own usage, and unfortunately very few (I suspect) consumers think in that way.(meaning in a way that cares about the company supplying their energy) It would be a very different world if they did and I like to think the proportion who do is higher than average for PP - I hope I'm not deluded!
I wonder if more thought that way would fewer companies have gone bust...
Energy rates are separate from the standing charge with most companies, but as you say they profit on the energy.
The downside of PP's way is for their model to work it then depends more on scale, which is fine as long as the increase in size is matched by available resources. To much success, growing too quickly has ended badly for others, but my feeling is so far, so good...
LeahKStewart;21981:

I've joined recently and think one of the things I really like about Pure Planet is that the membership fee is separate from our usage. Let me know if I have this right in my head...

If other suppliers make their money from marking-up the usage, would that mean they rely on us using energy to earn? Whereas with Pure Planet I feel like I can challenge myself to use less energy at home without affecting the organisation's sustainability as my supplier.

It's a tiny thing (and I may not have understood it properly so please do correct me if this is wrong!) but I like the freedom of having a fixed membership cost and the chance to challenge my level of energy usage without negatively affecting my supplier.
LeahKStewart;21981:

Welcome to the community @LeahKStewart :)
Nice one for getting stuck in.
I like the sound of that challenge. You might like this thread by @Oakbank about how to fit a 'weather compensation' kit so that the boiler adjusts depending on how warm or cold it is. 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
LeahKStewart

You make a valid point, cutting back on energy useage is not in the best interest of any of the Big Six as they make the bulk of their profits from marking up the energy they sell.
I've just done a Google search for 'weather compensation' and not one hit came back from an energy supplier. All the hits came from boiler manufacturers, money saving websites, central heating installers, plumbers, etc.
I’ve just moved into a relatively modern house which has solar panels but unfortunately all the light bulbs are halogen. I’ve managed to change the internal ones to LED but the external security ones are more challenging and will need an electrician to do it.
I have had the message “lower than expected” every time since I switched but am not sure it is right. I will know in time I suppose. It may take you a long time for running cost savings to cover the cost of a BG installation! My boiler is 21 years old. It will have to be replaced one day, but I will wait until it packs up. Then sadly it will not just mean a new boiler (probably an Intergas one) but new radiators.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
G4RHL;22517:
I have had the message “lower than expected” every time since I switched but am not sure it is right. I will know in time I suppose. It may take you a long time for running cost savings to cover the cost of a BG installation! My boiler is 21 years old. It will have to be replaced one day, but I will wait until it packs up. Then sadly it will not just mean a new boiler (probably an Intergas one) but new radiators.

Hi, do you mean, ‘lower than expected’ message when entering your monthly meter readings. If yes, it’s an inbuilt safety mechanism to make sure we check that the readings we enter are correct (eg no typo’s & extra zeros added etc).
Hope this helps.
Oh! I've actually been doing that manually 🙂 There's something about adjusting the boiler thermostat and turning radiators off in any room I won't be in for a while that I quite like. Think I'm doing this vaguely right? Happy for tips though.
Hello everyone, I just switched to PP, my ultimate aim is to save money and I hope I wouldn't be disappointed. Fingers crossed. 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Very warm welcome to you NMalvan! I don’t think you’ll be in any way disappointed with PP and their whole approach 👍. Hopefully you will enjoy spending time here on the community too 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
NMalvan;23760:
Hello everyone, I just switched to PP, my ultimate aim is to save money and I hope I wouldn't be disappointed. Fingers crossed. 👍

Welcome NMalvan, great to have you ‘on board’. Pure Planet are a forward thinking supplier and doing things differently. As Bev quoted, the community is a great place to share and learn new stuff, any stuff!!!!
Hey everyone,
I'm Ben and I'm new on here - I just started my switch over to PP a couple of days ago, I'm so impressed so far with all of the exciting Green related posts, blogs and the general set up of PP! Plus as a slight added bonus, I love the city of Bath so I like the fact that's where you guys are based as well 🙂
Have a good weekend everyone,
Ben 🆙🆙🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Lovely post Ben 👏👍, and a very warm welcome to the PP community, hope you’ll love it here with us fellow members 👍
Bev;24689:
Lovely post Ben 👏👍, and a very warm welcome to the PP community, hope you’ll love it here with us fellow members 👍

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bev ! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Welcome Ben, I didn't know they allowed Mancunians into Bath...
(I'm allowed to say that...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
ManchesterBen;24688:
Hey everyone,
I'm Ben and I'm new on here - I just started my switch over to PP a couple of days ago, I'm so impressed so far with all of the exciting Green related posts, blogs and the general set up of PP! Plus as a slight added bonus, I love the city of Bath so I like the fact that's where you guys are based as well 🙂
Have a good weekend everyone,
Ben 🆙🆙🆙

Hi and Welcome ManchesterBen,
Great post Ben, enthusiastic and positive (and a Bath ‘culture vulture ‘ also) , look forward to your input .
Regards Dai