Hot Topic News

Pure Planet ceases trading - your FAQs

• 14 October 2021
  • 0 replies
Pure Planet ceases trading - your FAQs
  • Former Community Manager
  • 7652 replies

For Pure Planet Members with questions about what happens now that Pure Planet has ceased trading.

We’ve created a new section in our community FAQs which has a list of most asked questions. The information in these arcticles are also on the Pure Planet website, and in your app (tap on ‘Help’ in the bottom nav bar).

But I thought it might also be useful to have them all in one place, too. 

Who is my new supplier?

The energy regulator, Ofgem, has appointed Shell Energy as the new supplier for Pure Planet Members.

Shell Energy expects to have your new account set up by January 2022.

More info on the Shell Energy website.

Why does the Supplier of Last Resort (SoLR) process take so long?

The SoLR process is more complex than a regular switch of suppliers because there are additional protections in place for customers. 

We’re also transferring a high number of customers across to Shell Energy, which takes time. 

We’re working closely with Shell Energy to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible for our former Members and thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Can I switch away from Shell Energy?

Shell Energy is in the process of setting up your new account with them — this should be completed by January 2022. In the meantime, their advice is to not to switch until the transfer is complete. 

Should I cancel my Direct Debit with Pure Planet?

No. Your balance will be carried over to your new supplier, Shell Energy.

While your new Shell Energy account is being set up we ask that you continue paying your Direct Debit to Pure Planet as you did before. 

This ensures you don’t build up a debt on your new account. 

The payments you make will be used to clear your Pure Planet account, with any remaining credit transferred across to your new Shell Energy account in January 2022.

I’ve cancelled my Direct Debit — what should I do?

If you’ve cancelled your Direct Debit you can set it back up quickly and easily in your app or online account in the ‘Balance and payments’ section.

Why am I still paying Pure Planet’s Membership fee?

Pure Planet’s Membership fee is what other energy suppliers call a standing charge. The standing charge is a fixed daily amount that covers the costs your energy supplier takes on to supply you with electricity and gas. When your new Shell Energy account is set up, you will continue to pay a standing charge.

While your new account is being set up we ask that you continue paying your Direct Debit to Pure Planet as you did before. This ensures you don’t build up a debt on your new account. The payments you make will be used to clear your Pure Planet account, with any remaining credit transferred across to your new Shell Energy account in January 2022.

What happens to my Direct Debit when my account is transferred to Shell Energy?

Your Direct Debit will be transferred to Shell Energy, who will start taking payments from you when your new account is set up in January.

Will my payment date stay the same?

Shell Energy has advised us that they will try to keep your payment date the same, or as close to the previous date as possible. 

They’ll be in touch to confirm your payment date ahead of your first payment to them.

Will I pay Shell Energy the same amount as I was paying Pure Planet?

Shell Energy has advised us that your payments will remain the same as your winter Pure Planet payments. 

That way, they’re better aligned to the higher rates of Shell Energy’s tariff. 

Payments will then be subject to Shell Energy’s normal payment review process.

Will I still have seasonal payments?

Shell Energy does not currently support seasonal payments.

Will Shell Energy take my first payment in advance or in arrears?

Shell Energy has advised us that new customers have their payments taken in advance. 
However, if there is a debit balance on your account when it is transferred to Shell Energy some payments may contribute to arrears.

I’m in credit. Will I get my money back?

Yes. Your balance will be carried over to Shell Energy. They will be in contact with you soon and will let you know how to manage your balance.

Why can’t I get a refund?

Any credit you have with Pure Planet is protected and will be transferred across to Shell Energy. Once your new account is set up with Shell Energy, you’ll be able to request a refund from them.

When will the payments I make to Pure Planet be transferred to Shell Energy?

The payments you make now will be used to clear your Pure Planet account, with any remaining credit transferred to your Shell Energy account in January 2022.

Can I increase my Direct Debit payments now to cover what I owe?

Yes, we can do that for you. Simply head to the Help section of our app, then speak to WattBot.

I want to pay off my debt to Pure Planet, and then stop paying. Can I do this?

The payments you make will be used to clear any debt you owe Pure Planet. If you go on to accrue any credit, this will be protected and transferred across to your new Shell Energy account in January.

Will I be paying both Pure Planet and Shell Energy?

No. Right now you’re paying Pure Planet. Once your new Shell Energy account is set up, your Direct Debit will be transferred to them and you’ll pay Shell Energy only.

I switched away just before Pure Planet ceased trading. Will my switch still go ahead?

Yes, it should still go ahead, as long as there are no reasons, common to all switches, which would block a switch from happening.
This includes examples such as being in debt, or if there's a problem identifying your meter or supply numbers.

I switched away just before Pure Planet ceased trading. Who will refund me my credit?

Your refund will come from your new supplier, Shell Energy.

Can I still access my Pure Planet account?

Yes. Our app and website remain up and running for the time being. We’ll give you plenty of notice if this changes.

We’ve switched off the functionality to send meter readings to Pure Planet, as these will need to be sent to Shell Energy.

The Pure Planet app and/or online account suggests I have more credit than I thought — why’s that?

Your account may start showing more credit than normal because we’re still taking payments from you, but no longer providing you with energy. Don’t worry, your credit balance is protected and will be transferred across to your new Shell Energy account in January.

Will I still get monthly statements from Pure Planet until my new Shell Energy account is set up?

No. You’ll receive your first statement from Shell Energy once they have set up your new account in January 2022. Any credit you have with us is protected and will be transferred across then.

How will I know how much energy I’ve used?

Once your new Shell Energy account has been set up, you’ll be asked to submit a meter reading. Once you’ve done this you’ll be able to see the usage on your Shell Energy account.

What if I’m due a Warm Home Discount payment?

Shell Energy will take over the issuing of Warm Home Discount payments.

Once you have been transferred, they will be in contact with you and can give you guidance on how to reapply for the Warm Home Discount payment for Winter 2021/22.

How much should I be paying for my energy each month now I’m with Shell Energy?

As of 17 October 2021 you are on Shell Energy’s Flexible 6 variable tariff. Shell Energy has emailed you confirming your tariff and rates.

Is there a chance my energy supply could stop?

No. Your supply will continue. Your energy supply has been transferred to Shell Energy, and there will be no interruption to your supply at all during or after the transfer.

Will my smart meter appointment still go ahead?

No. We’ve had to cancel scheduleded metering appointments. Our meter partners Magnum Utlities will still be carrying out emergency appointments.

What happens to my Smart Export Guarantee tariff?

Shell Energy will take over the running of Smart Export Guarantee and SEG payments. 

Once appointed, Shell Energy will be in touch with you.

Is Shell Energy a renewable energy supplier?

All Shell Energy’s electricity is 100% renewable as standard, certified by Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGOs). You can find out more about where Shell Energy’s renewable electricity comes from here

Shell Energy does not offer carbon offset gas as standard currently. You can find out more about where Shell Energy's gas comes from here

More

This topic has been closed for comments