News

Pure Planet app gets major update with great new features for energy usage, carbon calculation, getting ready for EV adoption, new menu and homepage

Pure Planet app gets major update with great new features for energy usage, carbon calculation, getting ready for EV adoption, new menu and homepage
  • Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

Great news everyone! We’ve just released a shiny new Pure Planet app with lots of great new features and plenty of improvements you’ve asked for.

A massive thanks to community members who’ve helped test new pages and features since last December. You’ve been brilliant and we wanted to shout out some of you who’ve helped us get the new app live, including @woz @25 quid @Ohit @myauntie @Scubaseahorse @Strutt G @schase @Angelabikerbabe @Mark Pocock  @andyseal and more.

Here’s a rundown of the new features as well as what’s coming next!

First of all, we’ve a new section in your Pure Planet app dedicated to cars. Not just for EV drivers now, but tools to help petrol and diesel vehicle owners make the transition to electric.

Pure Planet app car section

If you’ve already got an EV, you can pair it via ‘Smartcar’ and get dynamic insights based on history and user data.

For Members not yet driving an EV, the app now allows you to add your petrol or diesel vehicle details and visualise the environmental and financial benefits of owning an EV versus an internal combustion engine vehicle.

The new app also has a page called ‘Energy Usage’.

This is a redesign and upgrade of the energy usage graphs. Thanks to community members who’ve flagged this many times here. It’s been part of the Pure Planet Community ideas board for some time, and we’re very happy to see it go live.

In a few weeks’ time there’ll be some more improvements to the Energy Usage section, with new useful insights into how much energy you’re using at home.

This app release has also had a big redesign of existing features. The main menu bar now runs along the bottom of the homepage. We’ve taken the opportunity to also update the colours, and these will be brought to Pure Planet website and community pages too, over the coming months. 

There’s a small number bugs that have been spotted: 

• The energy usage on the new car page is showing usage in £ as pounds only, rather than as pounds and pence. This will be fixed by Wednesday, and it won’t need another app store update, we’ll be able to push a fix to the existing version.
  • An issue in the Rewards page, where Members’ names aren’t displaying correctly - thanks @25 quid for flagging 
  • Some iPhone users are finding that tapping on ‘x’ in the top left corner to close a page is not responding. Thanks @woz for alerting us to this one. - FIXED in version 9.0.5
  • Some Members are not able to look-up their car from the DVLA database in the ‘Car’ page. Thanks @G4RHL for flagging this one! We’ve identified that there’s a bug affecting hybrid car drivers.- FIXED 29/06/21

Seeing a ‘server error’?

We’re aware that not all Members are seeing a message to update to the latest version of the app when it’s available. Our tech team’s looking into this. If you’re seeing a server error in your app just head to the App store or Google Play store to update it to the latest version (which is version 9.0.0).

Community feedback on sending meter readings

Thanks to all community members who’ve given us useful feedback this week on the new app. One of the big ‘talking points’ we’re hearing is that we need to revisit and improve our ‘signposting’ to the ‘Send a meter reading’ function. 

This will appear on your app’s homepage when the monthly reading is due. Like this:

Time to send meter readings

But we understand that you also like to send meter readings at other times, too!

So, just to update everyone that our app team is looking into options of where we can put this feature, so it’s quicker and easier. As soon as there’s an update on this, we’ll share it with you for some feedback. 

Weds 30 June update - we’ve released version 9.0.5

Just to let you know, we’ve released a new version of the app, to begin sweeping up some of the bugs that had been raised. 

It’s version 9.0.5 for iOS and Android - remember, it can take about 24 hours for the update to reach the App Store/ Google Play store! 

It includes a fix for the back/ ‘x’ button not working consistently on Apple devices. 

Thanks to everyone for flagging any issues with us - we’re working through fixing them. This update is the first step! 

153 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Fantastic! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good stuff - will aid my guilt complex

New app looks good! Much smoother than before!

Opportunities:

• Allow side scrolling of the usage chart.
  • Small bug in the rewards screen

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Looks good! But some issues I’ve noticed:

• Bug: in the Energy Usage section, it won’t allow me to select Elec or Gas, only Combined. iPhone 6, IOS 12.5.3.
  • The browser version (which is my preference) doesn’t provide the same detail in the Energy Usage section as the mobile app does.
  • The browser version (which is my preference) doesn’t provide the same detail in the Energy Usage section as the mobile app does.

Hey @schase 

Yep, we’ve focused on the app for go-live. But I believe getting the same detail to web browser version isn’t too far off.

• Bug: in the Energy Usage section, it won’t allow me to select Elec or Gas, only Combined. iPhone 6, IOS 12.5.3.

Usage chart Elec Gas selection ok for me. iOS 14.6 iPhone 12.

Yes me too @25 quid 

Hey @schase I will flag yours with tech, but can you update your version of iOS or has it gone as far as possible?

Looks like iPhone 6 can’t update to iOS 14

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iphe3fa5df43/ios

This 2014 phone is the most recent that can only go as far as iOS 12. Every newer one (after 2015) can go all the way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes me too @25 quid 

Hey @schase I will flag yours with tech, but can you update your version of iOS or has it gone as far as possible?

One minor update yet to install, but iPhone 6 doesn’t run anything above IOS 12.

I’ve had my phone for only 6 years old (7 y.o. model). Planned obsolescence really infuriates me and does little to sustain the planet (likely, the opposite). Just be glad I didn’t try this on my 12 y.o. iPhone 3GS (which hasn’t served as my phone in 6 years, but still functions as my smart alarm clock, and I could probably use it for other stuff as well if I wished). Similarly with my iPad 4th gen (9 y.o. model, still in daily use despite being 5 OS versions behind the current offering).

Broken mine. Just get cannot connect to the server at this time… even though i have both wi fi and mobile data. have now uninstalled and reinstalled from play store. still the same.

Broken mine. Just get cannot connect to the server at this time… even though i have both wi fi and mobile data. have now uninstalled and reinstalled from play store. still the same.

Your store probably hasn’t received/delivered the latest version. Please try later today or tomorrow.

Planned obsolescence really infuriates me and does little to sustain the planet (likely, the opposite).

Indeed. However, I think Apple (5 or 7 years) do rather better than some other manufacturers (2 or 3 years) in terms of supporting the latest updates.

Downloaded. Play time!

Hey @Aberbuddha, welcome to the Community! 

Thanks for posting about this - we’re investigating an issue with the app displaying the incorrect error message. You could head to your Play Store directly to update your app - if you’re unable to do that, you could also log in at purepla.net in the meantime. 

There’s more info on that here, too. Thanks for your patience!

Opportunities:

• Allow side scrolling of the usage chart.
  • Small bug in the rewards screen

Thanks @25 quid! Rewards screen bug added to the main post above, where we’ll keep track of any known for reference. :smiley:

Happy to say the usage chart side scrolling is on our radar! Unfortunately it couldn’t quite be included in this release - but is scheduled in for next month! 

Nice to see more detail and the consumption figures for this year even agree with what I have! I suppose I need to amend my spreadsheet so it runs from January to December but bear in mind the January figure is that for the previous December.

The app does not though identify my car from my registration plate. It does find my wife’s.

Unless I can't see it in the app it would be helpful if it also showed the actual cost paid in total for previous years for each fuel. I am adjusting my spreadsheet to start and end January to December. No statements were received from the 5th December 2019 until the 4th April 2020. That includes usage for December 2019 which goes in the 2019 table. Mathematically from the app I can adjust the kWhs to match but cannot do the same with the cost. This is because the app shows the total kWhs for each fuel but not the total cost for each. Or have I missed it?!

Unless I can't see it in the app it would be helpful if it also showed the actual cost paid in total for previous years for each fuel. 

Hey @G4RHL It does have this. Choose the fuel, move the slider to £, and tap on the year you want to see the cost of :relaxed:

@Marc Got it. Thanks Marc.

Love the new graphs (although comparing to a previous year would be nice).

However it shows Partial data for this year. I see what you mean, but by that logic you should also do the same for the first year I joined (that is a partial year too).

Basically, it’s not partial data. It’s all the data that exists so far this year. So why call it partial?

Great stuff @G4RHL It’s really cool to get this feedback from you guys.

Re the car.

The app does not though identify my car from my registration plate. It does find my wife’s.

That’s odd. I’m assuming you’re not adding both cars at same time? It’s one car only at the moment.

@Marc I have checked the figures shown in the app and they don't compare. For example it says in 2019 I paid £296.49 for gas (just not possible). My sheet extracted from the statements says £446.48 to which must be added VAT and membership fee. For electricity it says £335.95. My figure is £465.81 net of of VAT and membership fee. According to the app the total I paid was £632.44. I wish it was, can I have a refund?!! I actually paid including VAT and membership fee £1150.93.

For 2020 the app says I paid a total of £1168.54. I actually paid £1299.42 but in this latter figure there will be an element that relates to December 2019. It is not possible to calculate that from the app. I received no statements from January 2020 until April 2020.

For this year it is spot on so far! It may not in any way be a bug but could be because of missing statements PP not able to send them out and they cover the year end of 2019. I’ll survive!

Great stuff @G4RHL It’s really cool to get this feedback from you guys.

Re the car.

That’s odd. I’m assuming you’re not adding both cars at same time? It’s one car only at the moment.

Nope. It thinks my registration plate does not exist. It is a private reg but all other apps I may use where the car reg is required always come up with the right vehicle. It may the app has been programmed to expect a 7 digit registration number. Mine is 5.

@Marc I have checked the figures shown in the app and they don't compare. For example it says in 2019 I paid £296.49 for gas (just not possible). My sheet extracted from the statements says £446.48 to which must be added VAT and membership fee. For electricity it says £335.95. My figure is £465.81 net of of VAT and membership fee. According to the app the total I paid was £632.44. I wish it was, can I have a refund?!! I actually paid including VAT and membership fee £1150.93.

For 2020 the app says I paid a total of £1168.54. I actually paid £1299.42 but in this latter figure there will be an element that relates to December 2019. It is not possible to calculate that from the app. I received no statements from January 2020 until April 2020.

For this year it is spot on so far! It may not in any way be a bug but could be because of missing statements PP not able to send them out and they cover the year end of 2019. I’ll survive!

This is caused by an offset bill @G4RHL ?

Interesting. OK - if so that will at least explain it - but there might be a way we can show/explain that better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Late to the party as kept getting server error, so thought was still being worked on. 

Checked App Store and saw version 9 was ready, so updated, and can now explore 👍👍👍👍👍