News

Pure Planet announces new technology partnership with bp and a community Q&A with our Head of New Products and Services

Pure Planet announces new technology partnership with bp and a community Q&A with our Head of New Products and Services
  • Community Manager
  • 7094 replies

Hi everyone

We’ve got some exciting news to share about a new technology partnership with bp. 

Here’s a copy of our press release which we’ve sent out today:

bp and Pure Planet form tech partnership, enabling energy consumers to make smart home and mobility choices

• bp’s new zero carbon digital services to be launched with renewable energy supplier Pure Planet, building on their existing relationship

• New digital services will enhance Pure Planet’s digital retail offer with a range of green, low carbon, and e-mobility services helping consumers get to net zero

5 May 2021. Bath, UK: bp and 100% renewable energy supplier Pure Planet today announce a partnership to launch a new digital energy service that will support households, EV drivers and energy consumers in the UK.

The new digital service brings smarter control of renewable home energy, electric vehicles, batteries, smart heating and solar power, as well as carbon-offsetting options, onto one easy-to-use consumer platform. It will be launched exclusively on Pure Planet's award-winning app next month.

The low-carbon technology platform is intended to help people simply and more efficiently manage all of their varied energy usage – at home and on the road. The digital services will be available to every Pure Planet Member and will be embedded into their app

Initial bp-powered features for Pure Planet Members include:

• Personalised insights into energy consumption at home and on the move

• EV drivers will see real-time data on their energy usage, car battery status and cost per mile

• Ability to link any car (petrol & diesel) to the app to see and estimate of how much CO2 it emits and compare it with an electric vehicle

• Recommendations for other sustainable solutions to help them save even more, such as smart thermostats and EV home charging points

Pure Planet co-founder and CEO, Andrew Ralston said: 

“Future energy services are more dynamic, personal and digital. And they must be low carbon. This new service helps people manage their energy better by giving them all the information they need to reduce their emissions.

“By deepening our relationship with bp, we’re creating Pure Planet 2.0. We’re building on our low carbon and green contribution to society by offering exciting new tech services and low carbon insights and are looking forward to sharing these with a wider audience.”

bp’s senior vice president for Zero Carbon Energy, Felipe Arbelaez said: 

“Industry, business and individuals all have a part to play in achieving a net zero future. Equipping energy users with knowledge and understanding can help them better manage their energy and make more sustainable choices. We are delighted to partner with Pure Planet to develop this smart tech which can help inform smarter energy decisions.” 

The move unites the award-winning digital renewables retail expertise of Pure Planet with the e-mobility focus and scale of bp. Pure Planet, which launched in 2017, is Britain's first energy supplier to offer both 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas as standard across all tariffs.

Pure Planet, recently named as a Which? recommended energy provider for the second year running, is also one of the Sunday Times’ Top 100 Small Companies to work for and the only independent energy supplier to be a signatory to the UN’s Global Compact, supporting the Sustainable Development Goals.

bp is a shareholder in Pure Planet. This exclusive UK partnership builds on the existing relationship between the two companies.

ENDS  

This news is really exciting as it’ll pave the way for lots of tools and features to help our Members reduce their CO2 emissions, manage their overall energy better, and save money.

As we’re expecting Members to have questions about what’s coming, we thought it was a great time to run one of our Pure Planet Community Q&As.

Introducing Will Heinzelman, who is Head of New Products and Services at Pure Planet. 

Ask Will anything about Pure Planet’s future products and services

You can ask Will anything you want about Pure Planet, about the future of renewable energy, and what kind of services and products he’d like to offer Members. As long as it’s not commercially sensitive, he’s up for answering! 

We’ve run similar community Q&As before.

Check out one from last summer with our co-founder and CEO Andrew Ralston, one from January 2020 when co-founder Steven Day took questions about smart meters, carbon-offsetting and more. And in February 2019 co-founder Chris Alliot carried out a community Q&A about how we buy your energy.

The way that the Pure Planet Community Q&As work is that we open the conversation for questions, close it after a week or two, and then publish all the replies.

So over to you! Post your questions in the replies to this thread and Will can answer them in the next fortnight or so. 

BTW it’s okay to ask more than one question! :relaxed:

Update 28 May

Thanks everyone who’s jumped in with some really great questions.

Here’s a link to a new post with the replies from Will! 

25 replies

Badge +3

Apologies if I don’t share the same enthusiasm for this partnership - just feels like a very similar journey to many tech start-ups who have then gone to sell out to one of the tech giants.

It was only last year that BP spent over $10 Billion pounds of its profits is search for more oil - the most they have done over the last 10 years by far as Statista shows! They provide no total figure for their renewable investments, other than an aim to get to £2bn to £3bn by 2025.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/302543/exploration-expenses-of-bp/ 

Some of us who have been around the last 20 years to have seen BP do this before back in 2000 when they announced that BP was no longer an oil corporation but was moving “Beyond Petroleum” to embrace renewable energy. The graph above shows just how much they really embraced this over the last decade.

They invested millions in rebranding to their green sun-based logo (linking it with solar energy) and it continues to be their logo for over 20 years despite the promises of “Beyond Petroleum” having long been abandoned since they sold off renewable energy projects and refocused on being a fossil-fuel corporation. 

Sorry if I should be celebrating this, but I just feel let down and that Pure Planet could/should have chosen a much better partner.

Will the new app monitor devices as they are switched on such that they can be named in the app and in time the app can record the usage of all devices in the home?

Badge +2

Sounds great 👍 

Anything that will help consumers monitor and reduce their energy usage has got to be good for our precious planet. 

Welcome Will 👋

Apologies if I don’t share the same enthusiasm for this partnership - just feels like a very similar journey to many tech start-ups who have then gone to sell out to one of the tech giants.

It was only last year that BP spent over $10 Billion pounds of its profits is search for more oil - the most they have done over the last 10 years by far as Statista shows! They provide no total figure for their renewable investments, other than an aim to get to £2bn to £3bn by 2025.  

Hi @myauntie 

Thanks for getting stuck in. :raised_hands:

Not sure if there was a question in there for Will?  But about the concerns you've shared about bp, we don't see it as selling out, we see this as a great opportunity for us to build more and better tools for our Members to access renewable energy and get closer to net zero. 

And, yep, bp does have a lot of resources we're now able to tap into, way more than we could ever do alone!

And it's a fair comment that they're going through a big change themselves. I don't speak for bp of course, but I would imagine that they have quite a challenge to manage their existing businesses while also investing in renewables. 

Have you seen the recent news about bp's proposed project in Teesside? It would be the largest in the UK, producing up to 1GW of hydrogen – 20% of the UK’s hydrogen target.

And they’ve just invested record bids to build wind farms off Scotland. 

bp has also said that it aims to grow its net renewable generating capacity from 2.5GW in 2019 to 20GW by 2025, and to around 50GW by 2030. It also aims to increase annual low carbon investment 10-fold by 2030 to around $5 billion a year.

So we think these moves mean they take renewable energy seriously. It’s the future, after all. :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As I type this, I suddenly remember it’s exactly 32 years today that I passed my driving test 😳😳😳! I kept thinking, 5th May 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔, I’m sure I’ve missed somebody’s birthday! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So brings me nicely on to my question for you, Will  if I may. I’d like to ask you your views on driverless cars, especially re your personal opinion (and knowledge) on how realistically far away are we, from seeing 100% driverless vehicles being the norm on our roads here in the U.K. 🤷‍♀️

From 1989 when I bought my first car, I never truly felt that driving suited my personality. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED the driving, adore cars, but all the road rage, and crazy antics of a minority of other drivers, plus more and more vehicles on the road, causing delays, angry drivers, and not to mention pollution, didn’t sit well with me, 

In the interim, after selling my third car, I tried walking. Gave up the gym, as truly loved the walking, and never looked back! Use trains for anything that isn’t local. 

BUT I know I’d LOVE the driverless experience, if it was fully safe and the norm, but with the focus mainly on electric cars, do you see the whole driverless thing, being way way way more in the future than we truly believe?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you won't mind me saying, but you look very much like a certain royal 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. #princeHarrydoppelganger 😁😉🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m not read up about this to really comment in depth.

However, really sounds like a great plan thats been put together overtime and a leap forward.

I guess for BP etc etc etc parts of the business’ are run on a speculate to accumulate position whilst the renewable influence/force can no longer be put on the back burner, or headed off at the pass. No doubt this will increase significantly as it surely must!  At the end of the day markets are turning and money talks. We can discuss the pros and cons of the relationship, but its about the influences looking ahead.

Hi Will look forward to your future responses. 

Where was that picture taken?

What car do you drive?

When will we be driving hydrogen vehicles?

Is that t-shirt made of bamboo?

Sorry couldn't resist the last one...and expect flak…

NB:

I’m wasting much less and significantly reusing stuff.

But, I’m looking for a new petrol car so thats make me a hypocrite

Hi Will,

• Do you think people will trust technology and abdicate control of their on/off switch(es) to the cloud?
  • (Get your rhetoric ready,) given the number (153235 at the moment) of cybersecurity vulnerabilities, what are you doing to persuade people digital power is secure?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good question, as right now I’m watching the ITV Tonight programme, re Cheats, Fiddles and Scams, all about the online scammers and it’s soooooo scary. 

Did you know that due to lockdown, they’ve taken gullible out of the latest 2021 Oxford English Dictionary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Will and @Marc 

Re new products and associated tech as in PP’s APP.

I’ve just spoken an Apple Care tech dude in California, the dude said that the architecture for the new Macs with the M1 Chips allows for the same APP’s to be downloaded as would be for the ipad/iphones with little difficulty. But it depends on the developers….

Are there any developments at your end regarding this? 

If you’re keen, I believe you can (with effort) encourage many apps onto your M1 Mac. No link. No evidence… 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you’re keen, I believe you can (with effort) encourage many apps onto your M1 Mac. No link. No evidence… 😉 

Semi interested in advance of getting a new Mac. It’s all a bit sketchy even though the dude was so reassuring. Endeavouring to cover all bases with one device is no doubt too keen. 

I’d say, don’t doubt the M1 will be great. I know people who have one and love it. Treat adding iOS apps is a bonus. Over time, more will officially appear...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’d say, don’t doubt the M1 will be great. I know people who have one and love it. Treat adding iOS apps is a bonus. Over time, more will officially appear...

Yep totally agree. Off to sing that song have a little patience….  

Funny thing is I prefer Online to APP’s. But already had to close an account when provider went APP only. I couldn’t be bothered to manage it on my partners iPad and the APP had less options which nailed it. Good news is when I get a new Mac, I can trade in 2 iPads for ten quid…..what a result.  Or I might see how long they work underwater.

There lies the thread

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Second question, if I may, Will. 

So I, and quite a few members of PP, have PP accounts set up on our devices, for elderly relatives, or less tech savvy friends, neighbours or relatives. 

During the pandemic, it’s so been all about technology - ordering as much as possible online, working virtually, chatting virtually, etc. As restrictions lift, it seems the government has realised, “maybe this robotic world isn’t the future after all, the economy is suffering, let’s get the High Streets booming again.” 

Do you think, in your role with PP, looking at future products and services for the energy provider, that things may take a backwards step, and perhaps embrace the wider demographic, rather than one particular tech savvy sector, ensuring nobody gets left behind, or too reliant on others having to take control of their accounts for them for example?

Or maybe, in your role, looking ahead into the future of energy, you see it continuing to move fast and furiously, with more and more gadgets to encourage better awareness of our energy use, and more and more online services, potentially lot less employees. What’s your thoughts?   

Great question @Bev :slight_smile:

Wow! I got a message to say @Marc ‘s response had been posted. First time in some time. Something has been fixed but I have done nothing my end. Wonder if it is special to this subject?!

As to the question raised by @Bev many are focussed on using technology for it is more profitable for the provider of the service but most forget those not technically minded. An assumption is made we are all on line but many are not or if they are have no idea what to do if there is a glitch. On the other hand I listened to an interview on the radio the other day where the lady interviewed seemed to adopt what I can only call a pig headed approach with her refusal to have a computer never mind going online. I presume she does not have a fridge or freezer either or an electric vacuum nor possibly a bus pass.

We all ought to have open minds, look at these things and if necessary embrace them. Easily said but the technology industry consistently fails to remember those who don’t want to, can’t or do not have the mental ability. The techno widows and widowers left standing when husband, wife or partner dies. 

Perhaps do more to encourage the children of the non tech elderly to help. I know there are a number for example who monitor their parent’s heating and security to ensure all is good but not in an invasive manner. The tech bods,, the energy suppliers could do more to encourage that.

[As an aside, just before I was to post this, I noticed the automatic spell checker had decided that where I say “who monitor their parent’s heating” it should read “who monitor their parent’s nesting”! Thankfully I spotted it!]

Does this mean that EV owners will get a discount at BP Pulse charging stations? Hope so

Userlevel 1

It was only last year that BP spent over $10 Billion pounds of its profits is search for more oil - the most they have done over the last 10 years by far as Statista shows! They provide no total figure for their renewable investments, other than an aim to get to £2bn to £3bn by 2025.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/302543/exploration-expenses-of-bp/ 

Some of us who have been around the last 20 years to have seen BP do this before back in 2000 when they announced that BP was no longer an oil corporation but was moving “Beyond Petroleum” to embrace renewable energy. The graph above shows just how much they really embraced this over the last decade.

They invested millions in rebranding to their green sun-based logo (linking it with solar energy) and it continues to be their logo for over 20 years despite the promises of “Beyond Petroleum” having long been abandoned since they sold off renewable energy projects and refocused on being a fossil-fuel corporation. 

Sorry if I should be celebrating this, but I just feel let down and that Pure Planet could/should have chosen a much better partner.

Hmmm….Not sure where statista gets that information from. It seemed odd that it increased so much so I did a bit of research and found this on oedigital.com (a site for offshore engineering)

“Looney [BP CEO] is driving the exploration budget even lower, to around $350 to $400 million per year. That is around half of what BP spent in 2019 and a fraction of the $4.6 billion spent on exploration in 2010.”

That seems to match the statista figure for 2019 so I would be curious about the source they used for 2020.

PS I’m not in any way connected to BP or the oil or energy industry - just an interested consumer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hopefully Will will be able to shed some light on this, Malty 👍🤷‍♀️

Isn't Pure Planet just greenwashing BP? If I'd known that Pure Planet was part-owned by BP when I was signing up, I would have gone elsewhere.

Hi @tag1, welcome to the community. There are good discussions and explanations of this. Have a read and you’ll judge the answer to your question yourself.

https://community.purepla.net/carbon-offsetting-21

e.g. lots like this discussion

Does this mean that EV owners will get a discount at BP Pulse charging stations? Hope so

Great question @Phil113 Thanks for posting it! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone who’s jumped in with some really great questions.

Here’s a link to the replies from Will:relaxed:

Badge +3

Hmmm….Not sure where statista gets that information from. It seemed odd that it increased so much so I did a bit of research and found this on oedigital.com (a site for offshore engineering)

“Looney [BP CEO] is driving the exploration budget even lower, to around $350 to $400 million per year. That is around half of what BP spent in 2019 and a fraction of the $4.6 billion spent on exploration in 2010.”

That seems to match the statista figure for 2019 so I would be curious about the source they used for 2020.

PS I’m not in any way connected to BP or the oil or energy industry - just an interested consumer.

Hi @maltham, the Statista figures are those published directly by BP themselves in their 2020 Annual report - here is a link to it for your perusal…

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/investors/bp-annual-report-and-form-20f-2020.pdf