Pure Planet announces new price protection for its Members

• 21 November 2019
  • 6 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6681 replies

​​​​​​​Hi everyone

We’ve announced a new ‘Price Protection’ for our Members today, and I wanted to tell you a bit more about it here in the community.

From today (21 November 2019) we’re giving our Members a protection against tariff increases for two months after the date they come on supply.

We are NOT putting up Members’ rates. We are NOT changing the Membership fee.

What we’re doing is giving people thinking of switching to Pure Planet more reassurance. This announcement is based on feedback we’ve had from new Members.

As you know, we’ve one variable tariff. With our new price protection we think more potential Members will feel better about switching to Pure Planet. People have told us they feel frustrated if energy prices go up just after they’ve joined.

Even though it’s not personal and just bad timing, we can understand why people feel this way.

So if in the future there’s a tariff rise due to an increase in wholesale energy costs, the new tariff won’t take effect for new members until the end of their price protection period.

If a price drop occurs during the first two months that a new Member is on supply, the decrease will take effect for them straight away.

I’ve moved into a new home which is already on supply with Pure Planet. Do I get the price protection?

The price protection doesn’t apply to you, because we’ve got an even better deal for you! Once you’ve moved in stay with Pure Planet (and of course we hope that you do!) and you’ll get £25 credit added to your account in your third month.

Check out this handy FAQ for more info about what to do once you’ve moved in.

Are you just doing this because you’re about to put up prices?

No, we’re not currently planning to put up our tariff or our Membership fee.

As you know, our tariff is variable, so prices are not fixed. You pay no more than we pay for your energy, with no mark-up.

Of course we’re constantly reviewing wholesale prices, as they are now and how we think they’ll be in three, six, nine and twelve months’ time. (See this community Q&A with our co-founder on how we buy your energy for more info.)

We’ll publish our next blog post about the wholesale energy market soon.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below.

6 replies

Hey @Gray4276
I think that's a wonderful idea. 😍
You'll be interested to know that we're already looking at this. Nothing 'concrete' to share yet, but I hope to have a few options to get community members' feedback on soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Pure Planet is a very busy place right now - nice to read that new customers are being protected from immediate price increases and, existing customers are not being left out of the loop. For me, I am happy to benefit from a competitive charge for the energy I use. 
​​​​​​​👍👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Good point 👍👍 
Hey Marc.......I hope I'm not going to stir up a hornets nest with my comment 🤔🤔🤔

I do fully understand that PP wants to boost their customer base 👍👌

But there has been a raft of new incentives to seduce new business recently........BUT.....

How about a small incentive for your "LOYAL CUSTOMERS"........
How about giving an "annual anniversary" bonus of .....(for example).....a "free months Membership Fee" .....it's only a "small gesture"..... but maybe a "nice gesture".

What do you think ??🤔🤔🤔 I look forward to your response......retention is actually as important as expansion.
Marc;43171:
Hey @Gray4276
I think that's a wonderful idea. 😍
You'll be interested to know that we're already looking at this. Nothing 'concrete' to share yet, but I hope to have a few options to get community members' feedback on soon.

Hi Marc,

​​​​​​​I await a "considered PP proposal" with bated breath..... 🙏😎👍
David j;43174:
Pure Planet is a very busy place right now - nice to read that new customers are being protected from immediate price increases and, existing customers are not being left out of the loop. For me, I am happy to benefit from a competitive charge for the energy I use.
​​​​​​​👍👍

HI David j,

I completely agree with you..... I think that PP are definitely following a "good path" with the incentives and price protection schemes.

Unless I'm wrong..... I assume that these incentives are being funded from our "membership fees" and therefore "all PP customers" are funding this.

I don't feel it's unfair to show some "loyalty" to the customers who stay with PP. These customers are therefore not people who switch suppliers simply to "make a short term profit" provided by incentive schemes.

​​​​​​​I'm not complaining.......just making a point. 😎👍👌