Members’ rate announcement - Pure Planet lowers its tariff

• Community Manager
  • 7567 replies

Hi all

We’ve announced a change to our Members’ rate — that’s the per kWh unit rate you pay for your energy — and I wanted to give you more information here in the Community.

We’re dropping our gas rate by an average of 8% and our electricity rate by an average of 1%.

All our Members will get an email over the next day or two to explain the new rates.

When do the new gas rates take effect?
The change is effective from 1 May for all existing Members. New Members joining us from today — 14 April 2020 — will be quoted and join on 1 May at the new rates.

What are the new rates?

Why is Pure Planet lowering its rates?
Our single variable tariff is based on the wholesale prices - we sell gas and electricity to our Members for the same amount it costs us to get it to their property.
Wholesale gas and electricity prices have continued to fall throughout the first quarter of 2020, partly due to a reduction in demand from warmer weather. This resulted in gas storage filling up sooner than expected.
Check out our most recent blog post on the wholesale energy market.

Will Direct Debit payments change?
For now we’re not changing DD payments as a result of this rate change. We regularly review our Members’ payments and we’ll get in touch if we need to adjust your payments to keep you on track.

With the new tariff how does Pure Planet compare to other suppliers?
Today’s announcement means the average dual fuel household on supply with Pure Planet now pays £902 a year — a saving of £225 on the Ofgem price cap of £1,127, and a saving of £222 on the Big 6 standard variable tariff of £1,124.
Pure Planet Members will save an average of £50 with this latest price drop. Higher users will save more.

Why do different regions of the UK have different rates?
The difference in the cost across each geographical region is down to the cost of transporting gas and electricity to your home.
The costs are determined and applied by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and we pass these on at cost.
We don’t make money on the transport costs of getting energy to your home.

With the new rate do I need to send new meter readings straight away?
No. If you can’t give us a meter reading today don’t worry. We’ll use estimated readings calculated at the lower gas rate. Your next statement will show different days calculated at different rates.

Will prices go up or down again in the future?
Our tariff is variable, which means our prices can go down as well as up.

How does the Pure Planet tariff work?
Our Members’ rate is the per kilowatt (kWh) unit rate. It’s a pass through rate, based on wholesale costs —you don’t pay more than we pay for the energy you use.There’s zero markup.
Our Membership fee is the standing charge. It’s the daily rate calculated and collected in 12 equal monthly installments each year. It covers: Your meter maintenance, our people costs, operating and systems costs, our low profit margin and VAT.
Our Membership fee is £8 a month per fuel.
For dual fuel Members we have a dual fuel discount worth £30 a year.

Is the Membership fee changing too?
No, this is staying the same.

Where do I find my tariff information?
In your Pure Planet app, go to Menu > Usage and scroll to the bottom to see your tariff.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I think the lack of response here says more than I ever could.
Putting my nice hat on, I expected more (or is it less...)
Even with the reduction in price it’s still £250 more expensive than outfox the market for me.
pure planet you’ve been great but for me it’s time to switch. if it was say £50 more for the year than I would have stayed but £250 for me is a big saving during these uncertain times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thanks @Marc, it's been a cliffhanger... But then we're all hanging on to a cliff somewhere or other right now!

​​​​​​​Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Stay safe
Rusty83;51927:
Even with the reduction in price it’s still £250 more expensive than outfox the market for me.
pure planet you’ve been great but for me it’s time to switch. if it was say £50 more for the year than I would have stayed but £250 for me is a big saving during these uncertain times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Ever little helps in today’s environment 👏👏
​​​​​​​8% on gas is not so little however.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Good news 👍👍👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Some good news in this mad old world we now find ourselves living in.
Hello Marc, it appears the electricity tariff is going up. Previously I was paying 12.5p/kwh but according to your table for London the new rate is 13.1p/kwh. Is this correct?
£60 a year saving on an annual bill of £1660? What a disappointment. Given the direction wholesale prices have gone and how long you’ve held your prices up this is nothing less than a slap in the face for your customers. Time to move on I think. Clearly looking out for yourselves and BP and not your loyal customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Mo2u;51940:
Hello Marc, it appears the electricity tariff is going up. Previously I was paying 12.5p/kwh but according to your table for London the new rate is 13.1p/kwh. Is this correct?

It's more than likely that the 12.5p/kWh figure is plus vat @5% which is 13.125p/kWh, it's a slight saving, but a saving nonetheless
​​​​​​​
It's probably because I'm electricity only, but I find that comparison sites are (at least today) offering me more expensive 'like for like' plans (i.e. green energy, no early termination fee) ranging from £20 a year more with bulb, to £202 a year more with Eon. Yes I can make savings, but I either have to accept 'dirtier energy' or the savings are largely wiped out by the early termination fee.

For those of you who feel you have no choice but to move to pastures new, well that's the nature of the energy market, particularly in these chaotic times, I wish you all the best with your new suppliers - maybe we'll see you again some day.

In the meantime, it may only be 1%, but that's still better than a price increase, so thanks Pure Planet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I checked and it was 13.125 inc. vat for Londinium
​​​​​​​It's the N. Scots I feel sorry for 14.7 - ouch...
Duppy;51943:
It's more than likely that the 12.5p/kWh figure is plus vat @5% which is 13.125p/kWh, it's a slight saving, but a saving nonetheless
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @woz, Mines even worse, 14.753p/kWh. North Wales and Merseyside
woz;51945:
I checked and it was 13.125 inc. vat for Londinium
​​​​​​​It's the N. Scots I feel sorry for 14.7 - ouch...

I think you're correct on the fact the quoted prices include VAT - my electricity was 13.6p excl vat, or 14.28p incl VAT, so it's gone up if they are plus VAT.
Duppy;51947:

​​​​​​​Ouch!
It would have been nice to see a larger price reduction but having looked at other suppliers who provide 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas the new prices are on a par with what I’d get elsewhere. I think more than ever we need to see further visibility on how the carbon offsetting works. As per other posts this was promised before the country ground to a halt because of Coronavirus, @Marc any further update on when more detail on carbon offsetting will be available?
This small reduction in rates will encourage many members to consider a change of supplier.
What a disappointment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Mo2u;51940:
Hello Marc, it appears the electricity tariff is going up.
Previously I was paying 12.5p/kwh but according to your table for London the new rate is 13.1p/kwh. Is this correct?

Hi Mo2u,

I'm on the London tariff and you are posting your current tariff excluding VAT (added at the end) on your statement v above new tariff which includes VAT. Your current tariff is shown as GROSS under USAGE via your APP and or Webb Account.

Pre 1st May v From 1st May
Elec
13.125 - 13.104 decrease of 00.16%
Gas 3.161 - 2.948 decrease of 6.74%
On my projection with mix of Gas and Elec I will save £34.73 per annum which is a saving of 3.73%.
Compared with suppliers I would consider if I had to switch then PP from 1st May PP could be a little cheaper than Bulb and Octopus.
Granted I could bugger off and save... and use a less clean green supplier pitching for business... but I've already experienced a company going bust and the debacle that goes with it. I like PP's ethos towards its team and the way they are developing and of course this great community.
However in this current climate I would totally understand when choices have to be made!
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Duppy
Interesting...and strange because N. Wales was, on the last prices but one, dearer than N. Scot, then on the last price change it went cheaper and now it's to become dearer again than N. Scot if my records are accurate.
A bit more research but not definitive is tending to indicate that N.Wales is dearer than N.Scot in general so perhaps the current prices (those until 1st May) were an outlier.
N.Wales was 14.805, now 14.753 reduction of 0.35%
N.Scot _ was 15.068 now 14.700 reduction of 2.44%
(that's to say on the previous previous prices the positions were reversed and N.Wales was more than N. Scot)
Duppy;51947:
Userlevel 3
I'm electricity only and a high user. My projected annual cost has gone from £3,995 to £3,980, a saving of £15. I kinda find that rather disappointing.
Rusty83;51927:

👍​​​​​​​
ChrisH;51950:
It would have been nice to see a larger price reduction but having looked at other suppliers who provide 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas the new prices are on a par with what I’d get elsewhere. I think more than ever we need to see further visibility on how the carbon offsetting works. As per other posts this was promised before the country ground to a halt because of Coronavirus, @Marc any further update on when more detail on carbon offsetting will be available?

Hi @ChrisH
Yep, it's still on the to-do list. The last few weeks have been bonkers with all that's been going on.
I'm hopeful we'll see updates pretty soon. I don't have a definite day yet, but I will of course keep you guys posted. 👍
Price decrease is a massive disappointment from £1204 o £1161. Doesn’t make sense for a company whose goal is to be only charging customers what it costs them to buy the energy to have prices £200 more expensive per year than many other suppliers. Long overdue price decrease but feel I have no choice but to change suppliers now when the savings are that great.
Hi, firstly I have to say I'm disappointed like others with the reductions given Oil which I'm aware loosely correlates with Gas prices is at a 5 year low (similar cost in Jan 2016) and Natural Gas even lower Gas Prices (General Trend) although given PP is Green Energy I'm not sure how that works.

Main reason for me posting today is that I'm not very confused regarding the price reductions as the general table of new prices from the 1st May for Yorkshire (my region) states different and not as good prices as an email I received this morning stating My Tariff from 1st May.

Which is it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Simon
​​​​​​​
Both price shown on the email exclude vat at 5%, 12.643x1.05=13.275, (same for the gas)
​​​​​​​The prices shown in the table however are vat inclusive.