News

May 2021 Pure Planet Community highlights and points round-up

May 2021 Pure Planet Community highlights and points round-up

Hi everyone, and welcome to the latest Pure Planet Community highlights and points round-up for May 2021. 

After donning our raincoats for most of the month, the sunshine is finally here as we head into Summer, and celebrate being able to hug loved ones again!:hugging: We were also lucky enough to host a virtual meet-up with Community members in May - it was great to see some friendly faces, and share upcoming features with you all. 

Bank holiday enjoyment was in full swing, with BBQs, birthdays, and relaxing on the cards. May even saw @David j manage to get to the beach in Wales - and get sunshine. 

Our gardens are coming along nicely, allowing for loads of excellent pics here in the Community. Check out @LUCKY JO’s amazing baby cucumbers@Marc’s encouraging spinach-related signs of life, and @Angelabikerbabe’s transformation of her parents’ garden

We weren’t the only ones out enjoying the sun - @Angelabikerbabe shared a snap of her new, very cute, friend, while @Strutt G also uploaded a beautiful snap in our very own Community gardening club, of a dragonfly enjoying the flowers. 

Strutt G’s dragonfly pic

How do you use the Community - do you come here to find advice, or just fancy a chat? Bev’s started a really interesting poll to find out. Meanwhile @25 quid started a great discussion full of tips about iPhones and privacy settings. 

May’s ‘patterns’ photo challenge saw @schase’s wonderful heirloom blanket win us all over. How gorgeous is this! 

schase’s winning photo for May

June’s photo challenge theme is ‘Nature and wildlife’, hopefully the sun keeps shining so we can all get some good snaps throughout the month. We’re also sharing photos of nature among the PP team, so look for some extra contributions this month!

May also saw plenty of fantastic discussions around all things sustainability:earth_americas:

It was the month in which the price of plastic bags officially doubled - how many do you buy a year@Scubaseahorse has managed to cut it down to just one in the last two years! It’s not just about plastic though - reducing water consumption is also a great way of reducing your carbon footprint. @25 quidstarted a great debate about using the water speed control on your shower, do you use yours? 

Our newest member of the Community team @Mads asked us what the worst excuses we’ve heard against being more sustainable are? One example is that recycling is ‘too difficult’ - for @Gwyndy it’s key to reduce plastic bottle use. We’d love to hear your thoughts, too. 

It was also announced that new gas boilers face a ban by 2025. @Marc wants to know if you agree with the ban? You can vote in his poll

Finally, we know how important bees are from this Community discussion - but don’t leave your Fanta bottle out near them! Check out this amazing video, which proves just how clever bees are...:bee:

There was plenty of Pure Planet news throughout May. At the start of the month we were able to announce our new technology partnership with bp. As part of this, we also ran a Q+A with our Head of New Products and Services, Will. He’s answered all your questions in this post, including the future of self-driving cars, future EV links with bp, and the real hard-hitting stuff like what his t-shirt is made of.:smile: Thanks everyone for submitting your questions! 

We also announced a price increase to our 100% Green Variable tariff, for both electricity and gas. That’s because wholesale prices are continuing to climb - all the info is available here. 

May’s app and web update saw bug fixes to your ‘usage’ section - as always, your feedback is appreciated in helping us identify any issues, and therefore fixing them. You can always let us know your thoughts in our testing and feedback section, here.  

In the world of smart meters, we provided an update about our progress with upgrading SMETS1 meters to the SMETS2 network, following a further delay by the Data Communications Company. @Duppy also carried out some fantastic investigations into the gas flame symbol on his IHD - check out his findings here. 

And speaking of smart meters, over in our Pure Planet Futures section we published the results of our half-hourly testing. It showed an amazing 88% of you would be willing to share your household info if this led to more personalised and accurate insights about your energy consumption. A big thank you to all who took part. :heart_eyes:

Meanwhile, here in the Community we’ve launched some testing for a new Community search, to look into whether it leads to improved results. This testing will be going on throughout June - you can add any thoughts and feedback about this to our post here.  

There are plenty of exciting updates coming soon, that we can’t wait to share with you all. From some exciting new and improved Community features, to a Pure Planet app redesign, June is shaping up to be a busy one. We’ll be sure to post updates here in the Community. :thumbsup:

And now, most importantly of all (of course!) it’s that time of year again - the Pure Planet Community rewards window is open!

Over the next couple of weeks Community members will receive an email with their rewards - these are for Community points earned from 1 December 2020 to 31 May 2021. Thank you for all your contributions so far in 2021, and for making the Community such a fun and informative place. 

Pure Planet Community points for May 2021

Each month we say thanks to those who contribute to our community by asking and answering questions and participating in discussions on all things related to Pure Planet and renewable energy, and just generally keeping the community safe and fun.

Here's a quick guide to how the Pure Planet community points work which includes how much points are worth, guidance on how to earn points (without giving away our top secret formula!) and when you’ll be able to redeem your points.

Band One - 1,500 points: 

@25 quid @NannyOgg @Strutt G @woz @Angelabikerbabe @G4RHL @Bev @Gwyndy @Duppy 

Band Two - 1,000 points: 

@LUCKY JO @stephenrand @Scubaseahorse @David j @Rds261189 @Jowl 

Band Three - 500 points: 

@Mark Pocock @myauntie @Vazzer @Catlady @Rcbridge @afrapp32 @Mike kelly @schase @DJGShef @A.fielding 

Band Four - 200 points: 

@Pilotquark @Rob Lee @danlovesdogs @Leecarden @mikeavison @Olivegrower @faz1964 @Tub3hound @Muckleflugga @Iarampatta @Major @Lapa @Marekide @Nick Hancock @KevH @SMUDGE126 @Planet user 

Band Five - 100 points: 

@gladini @Becki2194 @heydazza @Pbose13 @Jacktar @TallFerret @leccyhog @MartinMcr @Asims348 @Safaridave @Catchy @gcadd @Herbie2 @Laurahanna @richm @Kraymer @cobra2343 @locvez @Ade22 @SarahA @LinM @andrewwconnor @Tony May @Loseto @MadeinGuernsey @CarolineD 

And this month, our Mystery Band (worth a whopping 2,500 points), goes to @Angelabikerbabe for getting really stuck in with our new app testing, joining our Community meet-up, and for agreeing to help us out with a new blog post:grin:

That’s it for the May community round-up. Thanks for checking it out!

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ha ha wasn’t expecting that.

Should put this message in what made my day.

Cheers Nat and Y’all at PP. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow!!! What a busy month @Nataly @Marc @Mads - I don't know how you find the time for it all.  

Thanks Nataly for a great round up of the month of May 👍😀👍😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Wow! 1,500 points, thanks guys. Great round up @Nataly , so much going on.

Well done everyone and especially @Angelabikerbabe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Another great roundup,

I certainly wasn't expecting a mention. As ever thanks for the points

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Wow, really newsy summary as always Nat 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏

They come round sooooo quick, love reading them tho, as easy to forget all that’s gone on thru the month. 

Oh such generosity, as always, re the rewards, thank you so very very much Nat, Marc and PP 👍👍👍👍😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh WOW , really wasn't expecting that..   how fab! Thanks @Marc  , @Nataly , @Mads  and all at PP 👍👍👍❤️

And another great round-up , gosh alot happens every month, doesn't it?

Hmmm….
It was a really busy month at the Community last month, it’s amazing it all managed to fit in with 2 bank holidays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Nataly another great roundup, dunno how you find the time!

phew...what a month! and well done @Angelabikerbabe 

Just seen this. Nice to catch up on what I missed! Loved the two bees 🐝 and the points too 🙏🏻 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you Nataly

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh man, just opened my emails and my PP reward is there 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Still always touches me, truly does. So so generous! 

Thank you Marc, thank you Nat, and thank you Mads 👏👏👏😘

Wow, yes, thanks for the tip @Bev and thanks to the lovely PP crew plus all the regulars for making this a fun place!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Lovely,  just opened my emails up to find my voucher - thanks @Marc @Nataly @Mads always such a super surprise.  It's fun being part of such a great community 👍😀🙂👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you so much for my gift card. Cheered my day right up. Amazed how much it was :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@ all at PP

ooohhhh, I just checked my email, thanks so much for the voucher! It’s really appreciated.

I might invest in a smart switch or two…

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@ all at PP

ooohhhh, I just checked my email, thanks so much for the voucher! It’s really appreciated.

I might invest in a smart switch or two…

🤣🤣

Hoorah! That’s wonderful news - do any of you have your eye on anything in particular you’d like to buy? My own most recent Amazon purchase was a disposable camera as I thought it would be fun to use at my birthday BBQ!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for my voucher, I can buy myself a belated birthday present courtesy of PP, mmm, now what to get

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hoorah! That’s wonderful news - do any of you have your eye on anything in particular you’d like to buy? My own most recent Amazon purchase was a disposable camera as I thought it would be fun to use at my birthday BBQ!

Motorcycle gloves 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the wee vouchers.

Paid for our flights to Barbados, chic accommodation, vintage champagne addiction along with roasted paprika almonds.  Don't pinch me I’m still asleep……..and its a right old carry on.

Seriously though - Appreciated!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Book vouchers for me this time. There are quite a few books the kids are after amd I’m going to have a little peruse for myself too.

Thanks for the wee vouchers.

Paid for our flights to Barbados, chic accommodation, vintage champagne addiction along with roasted paprika almonds.  Don't pinch me I’m still asleep……..and its a right old carry on.

Seriously though - Appreciated!!

Woohoo! Great to hear you’ve received them @Strutt G :smiley:

Paprika almonds, living the dream...

Book vouchers for me this time. There are quite a few books the kids are after amd I’m going to have a little peruse for myself too.

You’ll have to let us know what you end up with in @Bev’s Bookworms thread @NannyOgg, always looking for recommendations! Make sure to get something for yourself, too! :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I like to get one big thing with my lovely rewards, hence the Selkbag 2 yrs back, then the weighted gravity blanket. Really practical, useful things that I love sooooooo much, and use daily. 

This year I’m thinking of a balance board. One was featured on Michael Moseley diet thingy last night, it’s John Lewis £269, but also Amazon do similar quality ones for bit less. I just sooooo know tho, when I buy any exercise “equipment” or try follow any exercise video, I always always end up going back to my own thing, so worry it’ll end up being sold like all my weights, mats etc did. Did used to love the balancing on medicine ball at gym tho, for core and abs. Just not sure yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I've bought a new clothes airer with part of mine, not very exciting I know,  but two legs fell off mine last week, so when the voucher arrived it was very welcome.