Magnum Utilities postponing all non-emergency metering appointments due to Coronavirus outbreak

Hi everyone,

We wanted to give you an update about our metering partner, Magnum Utilities, and our response to the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak.

We’re working hard to make sure your home stays safe, lit and warm. In light of COVID-19 and social distancing measures, Magnum are cancelling all non-urgent meter appointments - this includes Smart meter installations, Smart meter commissioning visits, and non-urgent faulty meter replacements. This to protect both you and our engineers.

Emergency meter appointments for those who have lost supply will carry on as normal. There’s more info about what to do in an emergency in our FAQs here.

Once there’s more certainty about visiting you, we’ll be in touch to re-book your cancelled appointment.

If you have any questions about your meter appointment cancellation you can call Magnum Utilities on 01164 783571, between 9am and 5pm Monday - Friday.

We’re also working with Magnum to ensure all affected Members are contacted via email over the next couple of days, to confirm your appointment’s been postponed.

If your appointment was scheduled for today (24 March), Magnum will be contacting you by phone.

You may additionally receive an automated email with subject line “We’ve had to cancel your Smart installation” - don’t worry, this is due to the postponing of all appointments and we will be in touch to rearrange the appointment in future. There’s nothing you need to do.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused, and hope you’re well and safe during these extraordinary and challenging times.

You may also like: How Pure Planet are supporting Members during Coronavirus outbreak

Update 10 June:
Magnum Utilities are now working through requests for meter maintenance made just before and during lockdown.

If you'd like to request some new works to be done, you can get in touch with our Member Services team as normal (tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question') to request this work.

Please note there may be a longer wait than usual for Magnum to get in touch and arrange the time and date of the appointment, while they work through the backlog of all requests made during lockdown. They'll be in touch as soon as possible 👍

14 replies

Hi - I was just wondering if you had an idea of dates that Magnum might be able to return to moving meters? Is there any way that a date can be booked in, regardless? Cheers,
Hey @Hedgers and welcome to the Community 🙂

This is a good question - we're currently discussing this with Magnum, and ensuring any new necessary safety measures are in place ready for the return to metering appointments.

As soon as we have more information on timings I'll be posting about it here in the Community 👍

For moving your meter currently you wouldn't be able to book an appointment - especially as it involves making a payment before the work is carried out.

If your meter is faulty you can get in touch with the team as normal (tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question') for them to look into the issue further.

Hope that helps - we'll update as soon as there's a confirmed date.
Hi. Glad to find this subject has been asked about.
I'm also waiting to re-book my meter move with Magnum. The job has already been paid for, and was originally scheduled for 25th March.
(I only found out it was cancelled by chance on the day, with UK Power Networks already on-site and literally about to disconnect the underground cable!)

It would be most helpful if you could confirm a new date, or even just a ball-park idea for when domestic jobs will recommence? It's the very first job in a large extension build, so i have a lot of contractors waiting on this.

Many thanks.
Hey @publandlord

I'd get in touch with our Member Services team about this, since you'd already paid for the appointment it may be worth talking about this with them to make sure any payments get sorted - tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question' in your account.

Type 'message the team' - WattBot will go through a few more steps with you, and then pass the message to the team (since this is a very specific situation that's probably best!).

We're hoping to update over the next few weeks with a date from when Magnum can return to non-urgent appointments 👍
Hi @Nataly

Thank you for the response.

I've already been down that route - they just told me they'd "be in touch when bookings restarted". I just happened upon this thread today and thought i'd see if you knew more. 🙂

So we're still looking at weeks, potentially? Oh well. I appreciate it's out of your control, so i'll just hang tight and wait for an update.

​​​​​​​Thanks again.
Hey @publandlord

Well the Community is a great fount of knowledge! 😁

I know everyone's working hard to resume appointments as quickly as possible, but as I'm sure you can imagine there's plenty of new safety requirements that need to be securely in place first 👍 so it could well be a few more weeks.

We'll be sure to update this post as soon as there's more concrete info to share.
My IHD has never worked since the smart meter was installed. I was due a visit from Magnum two days after lockdown started but of course this didn’t happen. I presume as it is non-urgent (I still have electricity) I must wait until Magnum resume home visits. Will all of the cancelled appointments be automatically rescheduled or should I raise the fault again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi paul
​​​​​​​Have you asked PP to see if it needs intervention at their end first?
paulcooper;55311:
My IHD has never worked since the smart meter was installed. I was due a visit from Magnum two days after lockdown started but of course this didn’t happen. I presume as it is non-urgent (I still have electricity) I must wait until Magnum resume home visits. Will all of the cancelled appointments be automatically rescheduled or should I raise the fault again?
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been through all that. PP can’t read the meter either. I did warn them that I live in a weak mobile signal area and maybe this is why it’s not working. I guess I now count as one of their smart meter customers even though I have a dumb meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Oh well, another government infrastructure triumph then...(he said in despair...).
​​​​​​​
paulcooper;55335:
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been through all that. PP can’t read the meter either. I did warn them that I live in a weak mobile signal area and maybe this is why it’s not working. I guess I now count as one of their smart meter customers even though I have a dumb meter.
Hey @Hedgers @publandlord @paulcooper

A small update to share with you - if you'd been in contact with our Member Services team just before, or during, lockdown requesting maintenance work (such as getting your meters moved), Magnum Utilities are working to get in touch with you shortly.

New requests for metering work are still suspended for now - we'll continue to update as more information becomes available 🙂.
Hi everyone,

A further update on this 🙂

As above, Magnum Utilities are now working through requests for meter maintenance made just before and during lockdown.

If you'd like to request some new works to be done, you can get in touch with our Member Services team as normal (tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question') to request this work.

Please note there may be a longer wait than usual for Magnum to get in touch and arrange the time and date of the appointment, while they work through all requests made during lockdown. They'll be in touch as soon as possible 👍.

Currently they're able to book appointments for England only. Any appointments for Wales and Scotland won't be booked in until lockdown restrictions are eased.

Hi,  I would like a smart meter installed.

Could you advise me if this Is possible and further information. 

Many thanks 

Karen Grayson 

Hey Karen @Grayson67 

Currently, we’re focusing region by region and have several teams of engineers moving around the country to focus on different locations - there’s more info in our FAQ “can I have a smart meter?” which you may find helpful! :thumbsup: