Hot Topic News

A note from our founders

• 13 October 2021
  • 91 replies
A note from our founders
  • Community Manager
  • 7587 replies

When you see something you love, something special you helped create, stumble and fall – it hurts. 

You reach out. You try to catch it, to save it. You do everything you can to avoid the pain. And then when it topples and fails, it’s heartbreaking. 

As co-founders of Pure Planet this is exactly how we feel right now. And we know our wonderful 200-strong team feel the same way too.

If you’re a Member, we thank you so much for putting your trust in us to supply your home with renewable electricity and carbon-offset gas. We’re truly sorry to have let you down by not being able to keep Pure Planet going for you. We realise some may feel we could have said something about this sooner but, please believe us, our hands were tied by the legal process we have had to follow.

It wasn’t meant to be like this, of course. Pure Planet has been much praised: we have many awards to our credit. We’re one of only two Which? Recommended Suppliers – and for the second year running; we are proud of our Uswitch award for the best app in energy retail; and we were thrilled to have built the number one utility company to work for, according to Best Companies.

We have a vibrant Community of Members, who freely and generously help other Members out. Thank you for all you’ve done to support each other and us.   

We recently passed our Ofgem milestone assessment with flying colours, which is designed to make sure we are a well-run, fit-for-purpose energy supplier. We had hedged the energy we promised to supply to our Members through to next spring and beyond.

We were on track for our first profits at the end of this financial year. We have had a supportive backer in bp – one of the biggest energy companies in the world. But all of that was not enough to stop the fall.

So why are we yet another energy supplier to have failed? Was it because we are ‘small’? No. Was it because we are badly run? With respect, we’d argue not. Did we get everything right? Of course not. We could always have improved.

But it’s because, despite all the good things we’ve mentioned, we were being forced to lose money through a combination of sky-rocketing global wholesale energy prices clashing with a domestic staid government and regulatory policy – the price cap. 

Simply, the rules prevented us from covering our costs. We are being forced to sell energy at prices way below the true cost. That’s wiped out those forecast profits and turned them into a thumping great loss, with even more risk on top.

While we appreciate the price cap is a way to protect consumers; there is no policy designed equally to protect suppliers from the very same enormous wholesale price rises we have seen these past few months. This creates an imbalance and the result is insolvency. And it’s why so many suppliers have folded this year.

It wasn’t necessarily because they were badly run; but because they were being prevented, badly, from being able to run. Sadly, we expect even more suppliers will follow, causing needless disruption to the sector, unless something changes soon.

The Government says it won’t bail out failing companies. Yet it has helped, and is suggesting it will help, other industries which face sky high global energy prices – such as the CO2 and steel makers. But not yet energy retailers. Our view is that this is a deeply short-sighted approach which will increase energy consumers’ bills by more than necessary and reduce innovation at a time when the sector is crying out for more.

None of this leaves consumers in a good place. You’ll be moved to a new supplier you didn’t choose. Your price might well go up in the short term, and yet again next year. As the supplier count shrinks, genuine choice will be harder to find.

And if all we are left with is the rump of the Big 6 who, let’s face it, haven’t been known for sparkling service and inventiveness in the past, where will the innovation to get to Net Zero come from? 

Tackling climate change is the challenge of our times. We sincerely hope energy companies are allowed to thrive sufficiently in the future to help everyone decarbonise. We all need energy, and we need it to be green.

Thank you again to all our Members. We are so grateful for your support - and your patience as you are moved to a new energy company. Please don’t give up on the fight to create a Net Zero future. Thanks to our suppliers.

And a special thanks to our effervescent energy team at Pure Planet. You have been an absolute joy to work alongside – be proud of what we achieved. You did everything asked of you and more.

With hopeful wishes for a better, more sustainable future.

Andrew, Chris & Steven

Co-founders, Pure Planet

More:

91 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Dear Andrew, Chris and Steven

You should not be feeling you’ve let ANYONE down. Not one bit. 

I could see from day one, when I discovered PP in January 2018, that you stood head and shoulders above any other energy provider I was supplied by in the past. The instant warm friendly feel I got, and the unique, cutting edge feel the company gave off, drew me instantly in. 

I loved that it was community run, and instantly joined the community. Never did I truly think, almost four years on, and visiting it probably every single day, I’d still be involved. 

Just like I said to lovely Marc, Nataly, and Mads, I would also like to take this last opportunity, to wish all three of you - Andrew, Steven and Chris, my very best wishes for your futures going forward. I reiterate, I don’t think I’ll find such a warm, welcoming energy provider, who cared soooo much about its customers and the planet, as I found in PP.. All the very best, and thank you. 

Well said Andrew, Chris and Steven. You created something special in Pure Planet and I’ve seen first hand your commitment to your team, suppliers and members. How letting good, well run, innovative companies go under helps the consumer I have no idea. Thanks for what you did!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well said and thank you for sharing that (never thought I would have a tear reading that and responding) thank you for building such an amazing support system for my first tariff I learnt a lot from being here and always felt as though I was a valued customer. Thank you to @Marc @Mads @Nataly for being amazing community managers, I wish you all and the rest of team luck with your new chapters 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Dear Andrew, Chris and Steven

You should not be feeling you’ve let ANYONE down. Not one bit. 

I could see from day one, when I discovered PP in January 2018, that you stood head and shoulders above any other energy provider I was supplied by in the past. The instant warm friendly feel I got, and the unique, cutting edge feel the company gave off, drew me instantly in. 

I loved that it was community run, and instantly joined the community. Never did I truly think, almost four years on, and visiting it probably every single day, I’d still be involved. 

Just like I said to lovely Marc, Nataly, and Mads, I would also like to take this last opportunity, to wish all three of you - Andrew, Steven and Chris, my very best wishes for your futures going forward. I reiterate, I don’t think I’ll find such a warm, welcoming energy provider, who cared soooo much about its customers and the planet, as I found in PP.. All the very best, and thank you. 

Well said Bev

Massive massive round of applause for all concerned - Take PP’s positive vision into the future!! 

No-one, not even the 'Big Six' are going to be able to supply energy at 30% below cost forever, sooner or later, the government is going to realise that they should have helped now, not later. Unfortunately, by the time they do realise you can't expect companies to sell at a loss and still survive, it will be far too late for many.

There's nothing to be ashamed of, or sorry for, Andrew, Chris, and Steven. You tried to create something new in a market where the government is happy to control profits, but not losses.

My thoughts are with the Pure Planet family now, who are paying an unnecessary price for daring to dream.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks Andrew, Chris & Steven

Even though it’s failed it’s been worthwhile to very many.

I’d like to add a further point which I think needs making here.

Inevitably the Suppliers Of Last resort are the bigger companies with deeper pockets. The government are prepared to subsidise  them with sweetheart deals (and taxpayers money) to take on the customers of failed companies, yet they aren’t prepared to help the failed companies no matter how well they’ve been run.

I believe that to be immoral,  anti-competitive and monopolistic  and in the very opposite vein to what the government claimed was the impetus for customers switching suppliers. 

I wish you all well in whatever comes next.

Userlevel 3

I'm gutted for you all,

ok my bill will go up , that's understandable but I still have a job, it's too close to Christmas to have to worry about job losses , with everything else going on I really do feel for you all.

It's a real shame because I loved being part of the PP movement...

I do wish everyone at PP the very best.. Please get back on your feet as soon as possible and I'm sure most of us will coming flooding back.

Thank you.. And good luck

If the future should you raise a similar model,  with safety nets I would gladly join. All the best for the future.

First time poster but been with PP since 2018 - genuinely sad to see this news. you’re right climate change is the biggest battle for a generation, I am proud to work for a local Council that declared a climate emergency in 2019 and has since worked towards carbon neutral… ground source heat pumps, PV panels on every council building, low watt led lighting in public spaces, a pool fleet of vehicles that are either hybrid of fully electric… all great things part funded by grant funding from central Government, so it is particularly galling to read that an innovative and committed green company such as yours has been treated in this way, feel truly sorry for yourselves and your staff… it is now up to us to take “the big 6” to task and push for a cleaner, greener future 

I am sorry to see you go. Feel like I've been a customer forever and had hoped that companies like this would help in the fight against climate change. 

Good luck for the future. You should be proud of everything you achieved 

Userlevel 4

I'd rather the government bail out PP than bail out the banks. Thank P P, I have only been with you for two months but what I hear is that you are good people with a good business that has been thrown under the bus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

To the Pure Planet Founders,

Thank you for having the innovation and determination to set up a wonderful company. I researched your business backgrounds and decided, back in July 2018, to trust you and join Pure Planet’s wonderful vision. 
I am so sad today, thinking of my witty community friends and the Community managers Nataly, Marc, & Mads, who have made my Energy Supplier experience a happy & enjoyable one (how many companies can boast that). 
I hope we cross paths again,

Take care all,

Dai 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Love PP ❤️
So sorry and sad that this awful energy crisis has impacted PP … I’ve been with many providers over the years and you have been, by far, THE BEST!

If you ever have the Will or ability to restart, I will be at the front of the queue to jump straight back in! 
Praying you, all PP staff, find a way forward in your employment and know that you have delivered fantastic service over the few years I’ve had the pleasure of being a customer! 
Thankyou for great service… So Sorry to see you go, You’ll be sorely missed😔🤗

Userlevel 3

I switched to PP last month and was looking forward to being a member. I felt your business model was fantastic, I believed you were innovative and a refreshing alternative to the big six. Before I joined I looked at how you looked after you staff and that sold me, I even said to my son shame we don’t live near to Bath because I’d be honoured to work for you. As another person stated earlier, if you will be able to set up again when all this nonsense is over, I will be one of the people who will follow. You have been squeezed out by forces beyond your control but please do not give up on your vision, the world needs more people like you who stepped up to the plate. I am devastated for you, I even felt like I’d forego my deal or anything that would have stopped you from having to cease trading. I want to thank you and your staff for everything you have done but also for daring to dream to make changes - I applaud you.
Good luck to you all, when one door closes another always opens. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I second others comments that I’d come back in the future if another venture takes off. 

Badge

All the best guys. Thank you for a great service, and company culture.

I work in the energy industry and know you guys, or at least your ideas, will be back.

Good luck. All the best

Stay safe all 200 of you and thank-you for taking the time to write- really am sorry to see that you’ve had to close… 

Userlevel 2

If the future should you raise a similar model,  with safety nets I would gladly join. All the best for the future.

I would come back anytime…..very upset by this news. Ashamed the Government mishandling of this crisis.

Userlevel 2

Thank you for being brave and innovative. Please know it was so very much appreciated.

So sorry you have to pay such a heavy price.

Well written, sad for you all, very frustrating on both sides. I was proud to be a customer.
Best of luck in the future. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Andrew,  Chris and Steven, thank you for that heartfelt statement, really sad to see the demise of PP.  I love the PP ethos and like everyone that has written on this page  I'm gutted at this outcome. 

Best wishes to all PP staff 

Badge +1

When you see something you love, something special you helped create, stumble and fall – it hurts. 

You reach out. You try to catch it, to save it. You do everything you can to avoid the pain. And then when it topples and fails, it’s heartbreaking. 

As co-founders of Pure Planet this is exactly how we feel right now. And we know our wonderful 200-strong team feel the same way too.

If you’re a Member, we thank you so much for putting your trust in us to supply your home with renewable electricity and carbon-offset gas. We’re truly sorry to have let you down by not being able to keep Pure Planet going for you. We realise some may feel we could have said something about this sooner but, please believe us, our hands were tied by the legal process we have had to follow.

It wasn’t meant to be like this, of course. Pure Planet has been much praised: we have many awards to our credit. We’re one of only two Which? Recommended Suppliers – and for the second year running; we are proud of our Uswitch award for the best app in energy retail; and we were thrilled to have built the number one utility company to work for, according to Best Companies.

We have a vibrant Community of Members, who freely and generously help other Members out. Thank you for all you’ve done to support each other and us.   

We recently passed our Ofgem milestone assessment with flying colours, which is designed to make sure we are a well-run, fit-for-purpose energy supplier. We had hedged the energy we promised to supply to our Members through to next spring and beyond.

We were on track for our first profits at the end of this financial year. We have had a supportive backer in bp – one of the biggest energy companies in the world. But all of that was not enough to stop the fall.

So why are we yet another energy supplier to have failed? Was it because we are ‘small’? No. Was it because we are badly run? With respect, we’d argue not. Did we get everything right? Of course not. We could always have improved.

But it’s because, despite all the good things we’ve mentioned, we were being forced to lose money through a combination of sky-rocketing global wholesale energy prices clashing with a domestic staid government and regulatory policy – the price cap. 

Simply, the rules prevented us from covering our costs. We are being forced to sell energy at prices way below the true cost. That’s wiped out those forecast profits and turned them into a thumping great loss, with even more risk on top.

While we appreciate the price cap is a way to protect consumers; there is no policy designed equally to protect suppliers from the very same enormous wholesale price rises we have seen these past few months. This creates an imbalance and the result is insolvency. And it’s why so many suppliers have folded this year.

It wasn’t necessarily because they were badly run; but because they were being prevented, badly, from being able to run. Sadly, we expect even more suppliers will follow, causing needless disruption to the sector, unless something changes soon.

The Government says it won’t bail out failing companies. Yet it has helped, and is suggesting it will help, other industries which face sky high global energy prices – such as the CO2 and steel makers. But not yet energy retailers. Our view is that this is a deeply short-sighted approach which will increase energy consumers’ bills by more than necessary and reduce innovation at a time when the sector is crying out for more.

None of this leaves consumers in a good place. You’ll be moved to a new supplier you didn’t choose. Your price might well go up in the short term, and yet again next year. As the supplier count shrinks, genuine choice will be harder to find.

And if all we are left with is the rump of the Big 6 who, let’s face it, haven’t been known for sparkling service and inventiveness in the past, where will the innovation to get to Net Zero come from? 

Tackling climate change is the challenge of our times. We sincerely hope energy companies are allowed to thrive sufficiently in the future to help everyone decarbonise. We all need energy, and we need it to be green.

Thank you again to all our Members. We are so grateful for your support - and your patience as you are moved to a new energy company. Please don’t give up on the fight to create a Net Zero future. Thanks to our suppliers.

And a special thanks to our effervescent energy team at Pure Planet. You have been an absolute joy to work alongside – be proud of what we achieved. You did everything asked of you and more.

With hopeful wishes for a better, more sustainable future.

Andrew, Chris & Steven

Co-founders, Pure Planet

Dear PP Founders & Talented Team

Thank you for delivering great service to me whilst we were together. Thank you for your company vision, ethos & everything you stood for in todays retail energy market.

You have nothing to apologise for. I wish you & the PP team every success in whatever you choose to do next.

Best wishes

Tony 

More:

Userlevel 2

Got to lend my weight and agree with all the good thoughts people are putting out here.

I loved your ethos and genuinely sad that something like this should happen to people who had such a vested interest in something good.

A real shame but more power to you going forward.

Best of luck! 

Userlevel 2

So sorry for you all and your employees. 

I've had a great service from PP.

All the best for the future. 

So sorry to see you go ! I have been very happy with Pure Planet and my dealings with you .

you should be very proud of what you achieved and feel no guilt . Thank you