Solved

What happens if I exceed the estimate as I have been given 2 proposed tariff options based on my usage

• 23 September 2020
  • 4 replies

How can I speak to someone from PP using a chat, but on my laptop, without downloading the app please? I have few questions before deciding whether or not I am going to switch to PP.

icon

Best answer by woz 23 September 2020, 18:58

hi @damiann424 

in order of your post

The communication facility works in app or online if you have an account, it only works in app if you haven’t joined yet, but not online, it isn’t instant (a working day or 2) but the community is a good starting point.

When you get a quote the quote is based on your expected annual usage and as such it’s a guess of what you or anyone will use over the following year. The direct debit is set based on that guess. For most people it’s usually fairly close but it matters not as PP review your usage/balance and if it goes way out of kilter they will suggest an account review which may result in higher or lower payments. You can ask for a review at any time.

On a monthly basis you will be charged for what you use (or estimated if no readings available) plus standing charge aka mem. fee, and whats left is your balance which will vary each month.

The payments are split winter summer, 60% paid over cold 6 months, 40% over warm

as an example if your annual was £1200 you'd pay 6x120  Oct-March and 6x £80 Apr-Sept.

Your first payment is taken the day you switch and if your usage is on track you’d expect the balance of the statements received to hover around an average months payment but it will vary a lot depending on weather/usage etc.

The difference in your quotes which have to be for exactly the same number of units to be compared is almost certainly as a result of some incentive being included in the comparison site quote.

Post back if any questions and welcome to the community!

(I don’t work for PP)

P.S. I’d run the figures for you but I can’t based on ££ do you know your annual kWh usage for both?

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @damiann424 

in order of your post

The communication facility works in app or online if you have an account, it only works in app if you haven’t joined yet, but not online, it isn’t instant (a working day or 2) but the community is a good starting point.

When you get a quote the quote is based on your expected annual usage and as such it’s a guess of what you or anyone will use over the following year. The direct debit is set based on that guess. For most people it’s usually fairly close but it matters not as PP review your usage/balance and if it goes way out of kilter they will suggest an account review which may result in higher or lower payments. You can ask for a review at any time.

On a monthly basis you will be charged for what you use (or estimated if no readings available) plus standing charge aka mem. fee, and whats left is your balance which will vary each month.

The payments are split winter summer, 60% paid over cold 6 months, 40% over warm

as an example if your annual was £1200 you'd pay 6x120  Oct-March and 6x £80 Apr-Sept.

Your first payment is taken the day you switch and if your usage is on track you’d expect the balance of the statements received to hover around an average months payment but it will vary a lot depending on weather/usage etc.

The difference in your quotes which have to be for exactly the same number of units to be compared is almost certainly as a result of some incentive being included in the comparison site quote.

Post back if any questions and welcome to the community!

(I don’t work for PP)

P.S. I’d run the figures for you but I can’t based on ££ do you know your annual kWh usage for both?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

PP reviews accounts every 6 months, so if you use more than predicted then they will review it and increase your monthly DDs to compensate.( or decrease if you're using less)

You can also ask them to review your account at any time using the app. 

When you say the quotes differ....is it the total year estimate that is different (don't understand why this would be, if you input the same data. N.b  PP do have 2 tariffs...standard and fixed), or the monthly payments?

PP'S DDs are split 60/40,  you pay more for 6 months over the winter period and less DD for 6 months over the summer. (But it all adds up to the total quote)

Maybe the Money Supermarket quote doesn't state this?

Hope this helps.

Come back if you have more queries. 

Hi, thanks for a swift reply.

I was thinking of starting with bot and being passed onto a one of PP staff, as it was written on the page.

Anyway, apart of having a specific question in relation to my annual usage, (be it in KWh or £) I wanted to ask what happens if I exceed the estimate (or the actual amount I spent last year) as I have been given 2 proposed tariff options based on my usage. 

Also the tariffs’ quote for PP I obtained from money supermarket, varies a bit from the one directly obtained from PP website. 

My annual expenditure for the past 12 months with Npower is as follows: 

gas: £577         electricity: £1,150          total:  1,727

Thanks for suggestions

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum,  we will help if we can.

PP don't have a chat facility, but if you post your questions on here, we will try to answer them .

There are some of PP staff who monitor these posts regularly too,  so it is possible they could answer your queries here too.