Solved

Usage value must be at least 2000?

• 17 September 2020
  • 7 replies

I am trying to get a quote from PP. However I get the following message, "Usage value must be at least 2000”, when inputting my yearly gas usage of 1021 kWh. How can I get an accurate quote, when I can’t get past this message?

icon

Best answer by woz 18 September 2020, 01:54

I am trying to get a quote from PP. However I get the following message, "Usage value must be at least 2000”, when inputting my yearly gas usage of 1021 kWh. How can I get an accurate quote, when I can’t get past this message?

@prunepie Your yearly gas usage isn’t 1021kWh it’s 11,500 kWh, you have confused the units and entered cubic metres (cu.m) instead of kWh. Your meter measures in cu. m, it’s then converted to kWh by PP (that’s a whole topic in itself).

If your consumption is really 1021kWh you’d be better off with no gas supply at all.(but I’m confident you’ve entered cu.m))

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The 2000 minimum is for CUm and not kwh this is a level proberly set by ofgem because they do crazy stuff like that. 

1021 kwh of gas comes in at about 30 quid a year which surely cant be correct. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@prunepie Your yearly gas usage isn’t 1021kWh it’s 11,500 kWh, you have confused the units and entered cubic metres (cu.m) instead of kWh. Your meter measures in cu. m, it’s then converted to kWh by PP (that’s a whole topic in itself).

If your consumption is really 1021kWh you’d be better off with no gas supply at all.(but I’m confident you’ve entered cu.m))

I’ll include an image of the gas consumption of my latest bill below, to see if you’re still confident I’m wrong.

I am trying to get a quote from PP. However, I get the following message, "Usage value must be at least 2000”, when inputting my yearly gas usage of 1021 kWh. How can I get an accurate quote, when I can’t get past this message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @prunepie well I’m only slightly less confident now, that level of consumption is VERY unusual but I’m still unconvinced, the bill says based on estimates, do you have any actual meter readings over a set period? 

How do you heat your home?

To answer your question  just put 2000 which will be reflected in the direct debit and if you really have so low a consumption wait a month and send a message to ask for a review which will make almost no difference to the price, please read on for why ..

The reality of what you’re asking is that if you’re correct the extra 990kWh units quoted for  will make only about £28 a year difference in price over a year, that’s £2.80 a month in winter and £1.90 a month in summer and less than the dual fuel discount which is partly why PP don’t want to allow quotes for less than 2000kWh.(effectively you’d be getting more discount than the cost of the gas but not the standing charge, which effectively would be disproportionately high compared to gas costs)

I’m also surmising that it may (I’m really not sure) break ofgem’s rules about very low users, thus potentially putting PP in a sticky position.

If you only use 1000 kWh gas a year you’re paying £96 a year standing charge on the variable tariff (£80 on fixed) to consume gas costing less than £30 

All that said, if it’s the case there is a “fix” although I suspect there are cheaper options depending on your electricity usage.

Let’s see some real readings over a period?

(and I still don’t work for PP)

I just noticed that one bill alone has a usage of 714kWh,  was that bill for 9 months usage?

I think I can (without any confidence) guess at what’s going on here; you’ve been with edf  for a short period and through warm  weather and you’ve assumed that their quoted estimated value is correct whereas in reality it’s nonsense because it’s based on a short warm period. When I look at my daily consumption I can use 10-15 x more a day in the coldest period compared with warmest when the heating isn’t used. 

An interesting reply. BTW, my annual electricity usage is 3976 kWh. However, do you think the low annual figure for gas consumed, might have something to do with the fact I use very little gas? :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

An interesting reply. BTW, my annual electricity usage is 3976 kWh. However, do you think the low annual figure for gas consumed, might have something to do with the fact I use very little gas?

@prunepie yes it might well have (something to do with...), but as you aren’t being very forthcoming with real figures I reserve my opinion (which is all it is). I’m trying to be helpful and I’d be delighted for you if I’m proven wrong and also a tad envious given that if you do use so little gas you’re paying way less than almost every dual fuel customer on here for gas.

If I’m wrong about your annual I apologise for my initial assumption (noting that another member thought the same) but you still haven’t addressed the points in my last reply?

And, in any event I’ve suggested a way round your initial problem if it is the case.

Feel free  not to answer these questions if too intrusive..

How do you heat your home?

For what time period  was that edf statement?

What causes your gas usage? Do you cook with gas for example?

What were your previous meter readings over the colder period with dates?

If that was my house and I used 1000kWh a year gas I’d be tempted to save the standing charge and have the meter removed or I’d be with a supplier that charged more for the units and not a lot for the standing charge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@prunepie 

what region are you?

I’ll run your numbers in my spreadsheet and post the results if you want?

I just ran it for all regions and using 1012kWh for gas it works out annually at around £110 for variable and £92 for fixed.(Not much regional variation as units are so low.)

However the electric 3976kWh works out somewhere between £609 to £667 (across all regions) variable and £641 to £712 fixed.

(This is not an official quote e&oe and all that...)

The df discount of £30 was applied across both fuels equally