Solved

Two meters

• 16 November 2018
  • 12 replies

Hello,

I've recently signed up to PP and was set to go ahead with the switch on the 25th of November, but I got an email today saying that it had been cancelled. I rang my old supplier(npower)and asked why and they said it was because the flat I'm living in has two electric meters (different MPAN) and PP only applied for 1 meter to get switched. So my question is does PP support having two meters? if so how do I go about contacting and asking them to put the switch in for both meters?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Marc 19 November 2018, 10:41

aryas123;16781:
Hello,

I've recently signed up to PP and was set to go ahead with the switch on the 25th of November, but I got an email today saying that it had been cancelled. I rang my old supplier(npower)and asked why and they said it was because the flat I'm living in has two electric meters (different MPAN) and PP only applied for 1 meter to get switched. So my question is does PP support having two meters? if so how do I go about contacting and asking them to put the switch in for both meters?

Thanks

Hi @aryas123
Welcome to the community!
Cheers for posting.:)
If you've got two MPANs then it'll be two accounts with Pure Planet. As @Jon1 says, it'll be one account for each meter.
(If it was two meters but one MPAN then it would be OK).
View original

12 replies

If they are independant with two separate seriels. Yes you can have both with PP. You just need to confirm that with PP. They can handle the switch over with old provider. If the old provider is clearly instructed they can't stop the switch once told to action the request.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello aryas123.
Firstly its unusual to have two meters into a flat so was wondering why that is the case?
Sadly PP will be able to do it but you will have to have 2 seperate accts. One for each meter. Also it will depend how these meters are registered on the database. Do you get seperate bills for each one or does npower merge them into one bill? If the info on database is incorrect then that will have to be sorted out and will delay any switch.
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your help. I've only just moved into this flat 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure how the previous bills by the tenants or Npower were managed. The reason I've been explained as to why we have two meters is that because the flat is all electric one is for the storage heaters and electric boiler while the other is for all other household appliances.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello again. Ok that makes sence. If you wait till monday @Marc Will pick up this post and will be able to advise further and proberly get the team to check what the set up is. Should be able to switch but will just be a bit more complicated to sort out.
Userlevel 6
So I "think" one meter is economy 7 (for storage heaters and immersion heater) and the other "daytime"? We had a new build in 1990 which was like that. I also recall one of them being "white", but not too sure now.

aryas123;16794:
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your help. I've only just moved into this flat 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure how the previous bills by the tenants or Npower were managed. The reason I've been explained as to why we have two meters is that because the flat is all electric one is for the storage heaters and electric boiler while the other is for all other household appliances.
aryas123;16781:
Hello,

Thanks

Hi @aryas123
If you've got two MPANs then it'll be two accounts with Pure Planet. As @Jon1 says, it'll be one account for each meter.
Hi Marc,

That's fine but how do I go about explaining that to PP and asking to request both meters as they have no number to contact them on which is incredibly infuriating.
aryas123;17084:
Hi Marc,

That's fine but how do I go about explaining that to PP and asking to request both meters as they have no number to contact them on which is incredibly infuriating.

Hi @aryas123
That's right, we don't have a call centre.
We're very clear about this. We know that nobody likes spending ages on hold, and it also means we can be more cost effective, which we pass on to our Members. :)
In the Pure Planet app, go to 'help' and tap on WattBot. You'll be able to send a message to our Member services team. It's not a live-chat service - they'll reply in two working days 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Aryas123
Bear in mind that if you do have 2 MPAN's Pure Planet may not be the most economical choice IF a different supplier is prepared to charge you only one standing charge.It depends on your expected use whether PP will be cheapest, but my thinking is your usage will be quite low so paying 2 membership fees may not be economical.
Marc;16992:
Hi @aryas123
Userlevel 6
@aryas123 I do feel that if I was in your shoes, I would first try to confirm if you have a traditional Economy 7 setup, it was not unusual for older installations to have two meters, one for day, one for night (typically using storage heaters). My suggestions to try and conclude this below, as you will face the same situation whichever supplier you go with;

1) Post a photo of the meters and the surrounding equipment too them so we can see in the flesh what you have?
2) In the day, you should be able to tell which meter is recording usage, e.g. by a flashing light on it / needle rotating.
3) Do the same thing again at night, night time defined for E7 by this map ===== https://tinyurl.com/l4b9pcg ===== now see if the same meter is registering usage. If E7, it will be the other one - happy days 😮 you have E7.
3) Other things which can point to a traditional E7 setup - If you switch on the storage heaters, they will not usually work in the day as they are connected by a (non-user adjustable) timer (inside or next to your meters). So at night they get warm and the second meter registers their usage. In fact, if this is the case, all your electric at night will be recording on this meter and the other does nothing now.

I'm hoping you have this setup, as switching is then quite normal as the process asks you for Day / Night information.

Happy to help further if you want it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hey great to see you’re officially a “Gil” now, Gil 😂👍👏
Userlevel 6
@Bev Found it LOL

Bev;17190:
Hey great to see you’re officially a “Gil” now, Gil