Hot Topic

The top 11 things you need to know when you switch to Pure Planet

• 5 February 2018
  • 47 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6139 replies

So you've visited the Pure Planet website or downloaded the app, used it to find your address, sent us your annual electricity usage (and for some of us, gas too) from your current supplier's latest statement, or used our handy estimate figures, received a quote and switched. What happens next?

Here’s a quick guide, with some handy links to more tips from other members of the community, and our FAQs.

One - it takes 17 days to complete your switch
When you join, we'll show you the date we expect to start powering your home.
It takes about 17 days for your supply to be switched across. You will not be cut off from your old energy supplier.
A day after you join you will get your welcome pack by email and we'll confirm your switch date.

Your account will show you a countdown to your switch date:

Counting down to your switch

We’ll also tell your old supplier that you're leaving - you don't have to tell them, but remember that you should NOT cancel your old Direct Debit either, as your old supplier will need to be paid in full for any outstanding usage, or to give you a refund if they owe you.

Two - we'll let you know when we're ready for your first meter reading

A few days before your switch date you will be asked to submit your first meter reading.
The 'Send a meter reading' moon will appear in your account's homepage, and you will get an email from us to remind you.

Please don't try to send us a meter reading before then.

Three - what to do if there's a glitch

We’ll email you if there’s any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. They can't tell us the reason for the block, so if this happens we'll email you to let you know your switch has been stopped and recommend you contact them to find out why they've blocked your switch - for example, they may block it if there's an outstanding balance on your account with them.

Four - explore the community
While the switch process is taking place you can explore the Pure Planet community for latest news including updates and energy news.
It’s also the best place to ask other members any questions, or add your own answers to their queries, about renewable energy or for general tips for reducing your carbon footprint.

Five - send us your first meter reading
About five days before your switch date, submit your first reading. You'll get an email to remind you. At the same time this 'Send a meter reading' moon will appear on the homepage in your account.
Follow the
simple instructions. You’ll just need to type in the meter readings and send them, and we’ll do the rest.

Six - what we do with your first readings

We will send these readings to your previous supplier, and based on those readings they will be able close your old account and give you a refund if you’re due one - this can take up to six weeks from your switch date.

Seven - switch day, spend your rewards
Switch Day! Congrats - from now you’re paying less for cleaner energy. If you joined us from a friend’s referral, you’ll both be able to claim your reward about two days after your switch date. The voucher code will be sent to you via email. Happy spending!

Eight - your first payment
Your switch date is also your first payment date. This is because we estimate your energy spend in advance so we can buy it at the lowest possible rate.

Nine - your monthly statement
A day after your first month anniversary - a month after your switch date - you get your first monthly statement. This is also the date that your energy tracker appears in your account, showing your daily forecast and energy usage and monthly spend. We'll send you a statement each month. Remember to send new meter readings each month.

Ten - your final bill from your old supplier
Typically this takes six weeks from your switch date to reach you. Your old supplier will work out whether to refund you any credit or collect any payment owing.

Eleven - help other members
The community has loads of useful information - use our search bar at the top of the every page.
If you can’t find what you need - Ask the Community. Don’t be shy! And if you see another member in need of advice, please post a reply to help them out if you can.

Not switched yet? Simply
download the Pure Planet app or go to the Pure Planet website

47 replies

Dunroving;57084:
Thank you - at the moment, I still have the "X days to go" banner (8 days), so I still have my fingers crossed everything is going OK!
​​​​​​​

Excellent! Good stuff @Dunroving
​​​​​​​
Thank you - at the moment, I still have the "X days to go" banner (8 days), so I still have my fingers crossed everything is going OK!
​​​​​​​
Hi @Dunroving
Thanks for the useful feedback.
Yes, we'll take a look at the post and make it clearer.
You may not know but we're about to migrate to a new community platform - starting later today! - so we'll take a look at this post as part of that work. 👍
Is your switch all OK now? I hope so!
woz;57009:
hi Dunroving
Alarm clock rings, it's the same day all over again...
I'm not disputing or arguing that what happened to you didn't happen, I'm just wondering if it was an outlier for reasons we know not (yet) - therefore changing the text might be the wrong course of action for the 99 percent of cases where it isn't cancelled. As I said, we don't yet have all the facts but good luck with your switch, I'm sure it will be Ok.
Also I thought I'd mentioned earlier but will say again that that in my opinion it was unreasonable for OVO to block the switch for a small negative balance and especially as the dd wasn't cancelled.
Your post does however explain why, you hit unlucky with the timing, purely chance

The "cancel" terminology in the "Top 11 things thread (this one) conflicts with what is explained elsewhere. See, for example, FAQs about switching: https://community.purepla.net/content/325-what-do-switch-pure-planet-stopped#ckb_start

For example (my asterisks added): "we'll email you to say your switch has been *stopped* .... your switch to Pure Planet is *cancelled* and your account is reset ... once you've resolved any issues with your current supplier and your account has been reset, *you can get a new quote and restart your switch* ... don't worry, once the reason for your block has been resolved *you can just get a new quote and restart your switch* - none of this sounds like "pause", especially use of the word "cancelled"

I also received responses (via email) to a direct message, from Pure Planet Help: "when we receive an objection, we *cancel* the switch"

I'm deliberately not discussing OVO, as that's a separate issue I am dealing with, and I am trying to keep on task about whether Point 3 in the Top 11 is correct, so my posts stay in this thread and aren't merged with posts on a different thread, about my specific account issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Dunroving
Alarm clock rings, it's the same day all over again...
I'm not disputing or arguing that what happened to you didn't happen, I'm just wondering if it was an outlier for reasons we know not (yet) - therefore changing the text might be the wrong course of action for the 99 percent of cases where it isn't cancelled. As I said, we don't yet have all the facts but good luck with your switch, I'm sure it will be Ok.
Also I thought I'd mentioned earlier but will say again that that in my opinion it was unreasonable for OVO to block the switch for a small negative balance and especially as the dd wasn't cancelled.
Your post does however explain why, you hit unlucky with the timing, purely chance

from Ofgem:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/how-switch-energy-supplier-and-shop-better-deal/how-switch-energy-supplier-if-you-re-debt
​​​​​​​

You don't have to be back in the black to be able to switch energy tariff or supplier. Shopping around for a better deal on your gas or electricity and switching energy tariff or supplier can cut your utility bills by hundreds of pounds a year. It could help make it easier to repay what you owe.
Repaying a debt and switching

If you've been in debt to your supplier for less than 28 days you can still switch. Any owed amounts will be added to your final bill from your old supplier.
If you've been in debt to your supplier for over 28 days, you'll need to repay the debt first.
If it's your supplier's fault you're in debt, they can't stop you from switching.

Dunroving;57006:
No, my switch wasn't paused, it was cancelled completely. The day after I initiated the switch on MSE, OVO emailed me to say that they had blocked the switch because I had a negative balance. I paid the (small) negative balance due OVO (even though I had a £104 direct debit due the next day!) within 5 minutes of OVO emailing me. They informed me the block had been lifted and they were showing a June 19th switch date to Pure Planet.

The next day, Pure Planet cancelled the switch completely (but as I have said elsewhere, the terminoloy is ambiguous - what does "reset your account" mean?). Because I could still sign into my Pure Planet account, I assumed everything was OK; also because of the "pause" terminology I am asking to be corrected, I thought the switch was still going ahead (I assumed the switch had been "reset").

I have been saying this for several days, and although Pure Planet say they appreciate feedback, the incorrect "pause" terminology hasn't been corrected.

I feel like I am in that movie - Groundhog Day. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that my second attempt to switch will not be cancelled. (I now have a positive balance of £75 with OVO)
woz;57001:
hi Dunroving
​​​​​​​and...I'm even more confused now...
I thought what it currently says is correct but for reasons as yet unspecified it didn't happen in your case?

No, my switch wasn't paused, it was cancelled completely. The day after I initiated the switch on MSE, OVO emailed me to say that they had blocked the switch because I had a negative balance. I paid the (small) negative balance due OVO (even though I had a £104 direct debit due the next day!) within 5 minutes of OVO emailing me. They informed me the block had been lifted and they were showing a June 19th switch date to Pure Planet.

The next day, Pure Planet cancelled the switch completely (but as I have said elsewhere, the terminoloy is ambiguous - what does "reset your account" mean?). Because I could still sign into my Pure Planet account, I assumed everything was OK; also because of the "pause" terminology I am asking to be corrected, I thought the switch was still going ahead (I assumed the switch had been "reset").

​​​​​​​I have been saying this for several days, and although Pure Planet say they appreciate feedback, the incorrect "pause" terminology hasn't been corrected.

I feel like I am in that movie - Groundhog Day. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that my second attempt to switch will not be cancelled. (I now have a positive balance of £75 with OVO)
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Dunroving
​​​​​​​and...I'm even more confused now...
I thought what it currently says is correct but for reasons as yet unspecified it didn't happen in your case?

Dunroving;56992:
Could I suggest that if the thread will be locked, the first post is edited first? Point number three (What to do if there's a glitch") is inaccurate.

It currently says "We will email you if there is any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. We'll pause your switch and we'll let you know if there are any problems"

It should say something like, ""We will email you if there is any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. If your old supplier blocks your switch, we will cancel it (this may take around 2 days). After you communicate with your old supplier to settle whatever is causing the block, you will need to re-apply for a new quote in order to start a new switch"
Could I suggest that if the thread will be locked, the first post is edited first? Point number three (What to do if there's a glitch") is inaccurate.

It currently says "We will email you if there is any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. We'll pause your switch and we'll let you know if there are any problems"

It should say something like, ""We will email you if there is any delay in your switch. Your old supplier may block your switch. If your old supplier blocks your switch, we will cancel it (this may take around 2 days). After you communicate with your old supplier to settle whatever is causing the block, you will need to re-apply for a new quote in order to start a new switch"
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi @Marc
yes, I remember..so why not cull it down to just to your bit, lock it and put a link to to a member postable new thread
"If you want to comment on anything mentioned this thread you can post here (here being a link) or for anything else feel free to post in the community."
or whatever...
Marc;55484:
We've done that a few times @woz
I remember it was one of the first ideas ever shared in our ideas board.
Yes it could be time for another 'cull'. 🙂
woz;55407:
Suggestion
​​​​​​​This thread should be locked and updated and all replies moved to another thread. As it stands it's too disparate to be of any use apart from @Marc 's part

We've done that a few times @woz
I remember it was one of the first ideas ever shared in our ideas board.
Yes it could be time for another 'cull'. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Suggestion
​​​​​​​This thread should be locked and updated and all replies moved to another thread. As it stands it's too disparate to be of any use apart from @Marc 's part
Stealth;51327:
Hi @Marc

Sorry to bother you. I hope I'm in the right place. I tried to get one of my work colleagues to sign up and switch to you last night. She's a bit of a technophobe and she missed the 'dot' out of her email address.

I think she managed to rectify it after several phone calls to her with the correct address but I think she had to start the process again.

Would it possible to check it's set up correctly please. Her name is Barbra Leonce.

Many thanks
​​​​​​​Ian

Hi @Stealth
No worries. It looks like she's onboarding. Switch date is 19th April.
​​​​​​​👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I may be wrong here but the error traps should not have allowed an email address without a dot in it so it should have rejected the form and asked her to correct it? (one would hope...)
Stealth;51327:
Hi @Marc

Sorry to bother you. I hope I'm in the right place. I tried to get one of my work colleagues to sign up and switch to you last night. She's a bit of a technophobe and she missed the 'dot' out of her email address.

I think she managed to rectify it after several phone calls to her with the correct address but I think she had to start the process again.

Would it possible to check it's set up correctly please. Her name is Barbra Leonce.

Many thanks
​​​​​​​Ian
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Stealth;51327:
Hi @Marc

Many thanks
​​​​​​​Ian

Hi Ian
@Marc may well reply to you in the morning, and this is probably too late to be of any help before then, but a good sign that the switch has been initiated is that Barbra will get a welcome pack sent to her email address. If it hasn't arrived check spam/ junk, and if there's still no sign, then almost certainly the switch hasn't started, and she'll have to start again

Hope she can get it sorted
​​​​​​​Stephen
Hi @Marc

Many thanks
​​​​​​​Ian
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
see above, I edited my original reply - you're too quick for me!
VivienneS;40244:
Well put it like this 'Pause' suggests the timeline and switch resumes (automatically / initiated by PP) once the block is removed.
It doesn't, the would be customer has to wait 2 days after notification til it clears the account and then, assuming you've resolved the reason for the block, reapply with I presume a new 17 days countdown thereafter. My switch will now likely be some 7-10 days later than I had originally expected, and thats assuming no more 'glitches'.
Well put it like this 'Pause' suggests the timeline and switch resumes (automatically / initiated by PP) once the block is removed.
It doesn't, the would be customer has to wait 2 days after notification til it clears the account and then, assuming you've resolved the reason for the block, reapply with I presume a new 17 days countdown thereafter. My switch will now likely be some 7-10 days later than I had originally expected, and thats assuming no more 'glitches'.

woz;40242:
Good point, but open to some interpretation as switch can be completed by switcher once block is removed. I agree this process needs further explanation in the article, if the switch is blocked.

@marc
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Good point, I agree this process needs further explanation in the article, if the switch is blocked.
later edit
​I've posted elsewhere about this process to see if it can be improved...
The time delay isn't as big an issue as you think, you don't pay for the same energy twice so the difference will be the difference in price between pp's units and old suppliers times no of units used. It's not generally a lot of £
@marc
VivienneS;40237:
Bullet 3 - What if there is a glitch is a bit misleading. You don't pause the switch if a previous supplier blocks it - you cancel it - thats very different and I am currently being frustrated by exactly this and the extra time delays this creates.
Bullet 3 - What if there is a glitch is a bit misleading. You don't pause the switch if a previous supplier blocks it - you cancel it - thats very different and I am currently being frustrated by exactly this and the extra time delays this creates.
LCrossley;39892:
We have just moved in to our new house and have signed up to switch to Pure Planet. Currently the house is supplied by British Gas for gas and EON for electricity. The electricity appears to be on a smart meter and it seems as though it is a prepayment meter as there is a certain amount of 'credit' remaining when we acquired the property. Will the fact that it is a prepayment meter be a problem for switching? If so, how can we sort this?

Hi @LCrossley
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.
Spot on reply to your question from @woz
:o
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi LCrossley
you can't switch to PP with a prepayment meter, E.on or BG will need to change it (them) to credit mode then you can switch.
LCrossley;39892:
We have just moved in to our new house and have signed up to switch to Pure Planet.
Currently the house is supplied by British Gas for gas and EON for electricity. The electricity appears to be on a smart meter and it seems as though it is a prepayment meter as there is a certain amount of 'credit' remaining when we acquired the property.
Will the fact that it is a prepayment meter be a problem for switching?
If so, how can we sort this?
We have just moved in to our new house and have signed up to switch to Pure Planet.
Currently the house is supplied by British Gas for gas and EON for electricity. The electricity appears to be on a smart meter and it seems as though it is a prepayment meter as there is a certain amount of 'credit' remaining when we acquired the property.
Will the fact that it is a prepayment meter be a problem for switching?
If so, how can we sort this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi andee
tough question
and what would be a very long answer, which I've tried to compress - my advice is to cancel
1. It will confuse your switch because the meter database may not update immediately (it never does) so PP will have the wrong meters listed- this will cause you much grief.
2. The npower meter will become dumb when you switch (I know the the interoperability theory but forget it, it won't be smart at least not for a long while)
On the minus side you may be waiting a while for a pp meter but that's better for you as they are currently ironing out lots of issues.
Cancel it - is my opinion but do take advice from others...
andee;39191:
Hi,
Switching from NPOWER to PP is in progress - first payment to PP is going to be taken 18th Oct.

Question: Before I signed up to PP, I had booked installation of a smets2 smart meter on the 9th October by NPOWER. Should I cancel that, do PP prefer to install their own smets2? Or okay to let NPOWER go ahead and me to pass details to PP for them to link to it?

​andee
Hi,
Switching from NPOWER to PP is in progress - first payment to PP is going to be taken 18th Oct.

Question: Before I signed up to PP, I had booked installation of a smets2 smart meter on the 9th October by NPOWER. Should I cancel that, do PP prefer to install their own smets2? Or okay to let NPOWER go ahead and me to pass details to PP for them to link to it?

​andee

​ps. if this is posted in wrong section, feel free to move it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Glen65.
In a word, yes, but, you will have to contact your current provider and ask them to switch your meters to credit mode before you switch